Portal: Prelude RTX mod now available, free DLC

GoodBoy

2[H]4U
"Remastered with RTX Remix, Portal: Prelude RTX adds full ray tracing, the groundbreaking AI-accelerated performance of NVIDIA DLSS 3, and the lowest texture load times with RTX IO. Now available as free DLC for Portal™ owners on Steam.

Portal: Prelude, the highest rated Portal mod, the 2008 Portal ModDB winner, and #3 overall Player’s Choice mod of 2008. Created by Nicolas “NykO18” Grevet and others, Portal: Prelude is an unofficial Portal prequel, set before the time of GLaDOS, featuring a new extremely challenging 8-10 hour campaign composed of 19 new test chambers, new advanced gameplay mechanics, a fully voiced story with NPCs, and a whole lot more."

Download:

Grab today's new game ready driver as well to speed up the texturee load times.

Never knew this Prelude existed... loved the first 2 Portal games (the bridge constructor was OK). Going to give this a shot, thanks!

Also the source of this info appears to be NVidia themselves: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/portal-prelude-rtx-available-now-for-free/

EDIT:

The reviews do not bode well... still want to try it, but going in cautious... one sample:
1689757469172.png

Last edited:
So, this gonna work with my non-RTX TitanXPascal? Or what driver update for software ray trace?
Preview shows RTX on/off, so theoretically. 29 gig install will take a while to find out the hard way.

Never knew this Prelude existed... loved the first 2 Portal games (the bridge constructor was OK). Going to give this a shot, thanks!

Also the source of this info appears to be NVidia themselves: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/portal-prelude-rtx-available-now-for-free/

EDIT:

The reviews do not bode well... still want to try it, but going in cautious... one sample:
View attachment 584228
My 9 year old loves Portal and has been screaming at this one based on a similar experience.

My 9 year old loves Portal and has been screaming at this one based on a similar experience.

That sucks, lots of people like Portal, sounds like they spent time on spiffing up the graphics but forgot to spend time on the gameplay. Graphics alone just don't make a good game.

rtxerr.png

Doesn't offer opportunity to launch without RTX, just crash.
Havn't experimented with driver updates lately.
Which one to enable soft RTX for Remix with TitanXPascal?

Or if I can just get launched far enough to turn RTX off...
Is there a config file I can edit outside the game?

Last edited:
So not an uncontrolled implosion, just Titan's bidet function at depth.

Last edited:
View attachment 584340
Doesn't offer opportunity to launch without RTX, just crash.
Havn't experimented with driver updates lately.
Which one to enable soft RTX for Remix with TitanXPascal?

Or if I can just get launched far enough to turn RTX off...
Is there a config file I can edit outside the game?
Portal Prelude is a 2008 mod for Portal, if you want RTX off just play that.

This one is 100% baked for RTX can’t turn it off it would be like installing a game, adding a HD texture mod, then trying to figure out how to mod the ini to let you launch it to turn the graphics down.

Sadly your older Titan there doesn’t meet the requirements for this one.

EDIT:

View attachment 584228
I had never played this before. I am about halfway thru.

1) I did run into 1 bug, the floor that tilts slightly after the level starts. I could get stuck on the edge of that, annoying.

2) These puzzles in general are much more difficult than original Portal. Someone definitely needs the experience of the original game before attempting these. Several have been very frustrating. And definitely 'tricky'. The solution is not at all obvious on several. Just think of it as Portal on Master difficulty. I'm not ready to classify them as 'badly designed' yet. The one I am on now, I have no idea how to beat yet... so yeah, these are frustrating in their difficulty which is all I get out of that guys review.

Coordin to this dude's video, after 4.35.31, Pascal now can slowly flake like RTX.

My driver (not yet latest 536.67) is dated 4/35 and v31.0.15.3179. Is that 4.35.31?
I think Steam or Windows forcibly updated, not anything intentionally downloaded.
Another source sais 1.1Gigarays for 1080ti. Wishfully extrapolaties to 1.2 for Titan?
Only an eighth of any real RTX card to speak of, but not zero.
Maybe just need to flip some menu switch I wouldn't know where to find?

If that works, not saying it will, how to flake some upscaling? FSR or whatever...
Day1 Ryzen with 8 cores, not stable at full speed. 3GHz underclock rarely crashes.
I mention, since flakery might pound the CPU instead...

Have important non-game things to do that I won't touch a new driver right now.
After August rolls in, a temporary computer disaster won't be quite so inconvenient.
Plenty of time to read up on this before taking the plunge.

Last edited:
Coordin to this dude's video, after 4.35.31, Pascal now can slowly flake like RTX.

My driver (not yet latest 536.67) is dated 4/35 and v31.0.15.3179. Is that 4.35.31?
I think Steam or Windows forcibly updated, not anything intentionally downloaded.
Another source sais 1.1Gigarays for 1080ti. Wishfully extrapolaties to 1.2 for Titan?
Only an eighth of any real RTX card to speak of, but not zero.
Maybe just need to flip some menu switch I wouldn't know where to find?

If that works, not saying it will, how to flake some upscaling? FSR or whatever...
Day1 Ryzen with 8 cores, not stable at full speed. 3GHz underclock rarely crashes.
I mention, since flakery might pound the CPU instead...

Have important non-game things to do that I won't touch a new driver right now.
After August rolls in, a temporary computer disaster won't be quite so inconvenient.
Plenty of time to read up on this before taking the plunge.

The error message tells you to download the old one as your card isn't supported. Do so.

Nope, doing it the [H]ard way or not at all, even 1FPS. But I'll give it a rest till IRL computer shizz is out of the way. Early August...

Out of curiosity, I downloaded this and ran it under KDE Neon using the Nvidia 535.86.05 drivers on an overclocked RTX 2070S with increased power limit and custom fan profile. All I did was download the game under Steam and tick the box under compatibility to use Proton Experimental. Running upscaled using DLSS 2 to a 4k/60Hz monitor, I get ~30 fps and no stuttering or hitching according to MangoHUD - Not blazing frame rates, but playable for a single person game involving puzzle solving as opposed to any form of fast paced action.

It's interesting, but I'm stuck on the second level...

Last edited:
Just posted it in the PC Gaming thread, too. Up to twice as fast when it comes to texture loading from a SSD. The RTX IO build of the game is also smaller since it can take advantage of more compression without degrading performance.

View attachment 584765
Am I reading this right? it actually takes longer to load textures with RTX off on a faster SSD? Is this because less textures needed and more RTXphysics stuff going on?

Am I reading this right? it actually takes longer to load textures with RTX off on a faster SSD? Is this because less textures needed and more RTXphysics stuff going on?
Just RTX IO. It's NVIDIA's driver optimization of GDeflate/DirectStorage to take advantage of their architectures.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure for the Quake 2 RTX you could just use the -rtx launch option to disable it. It might work for this. Or you could just install the original.

I played part of this when mod it was first released back in the day and I remember it being very hard and needing very precise timing and portal placement. I didn't finish it because it felt more frustrating than fun. There's a mod for Portal 2 called Portal Stories: Mel which takes the opposite approach, needing more thinking than timing.

Back