Portable Screens - any that charge the Deck while playing?

MavericK

Zero Cool
Long story short, I found a Thinkvision M14 lying around at work and decided to try it with the Deck. Works really well, does PD passthrough via USB-C so I only need Deck -> Display -> Power adapter via USB-C cables.

It got me wondering if I could pick up an OLED or otherwise better portable display, since I really liked using it. But I can't find much, if any info about any that will do PD passthrough, or rather, will charge the Deck while playing. I've seen some people say that some of the monitors will "charge" the Deck, but only a trickle, so you will still drain battery while playing. Does anyone know of any of these OLED, IGZO, or whatever portable monitors that for sure have this functionality?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My experience using the deck with portable monitor and the official dock has been terrible. Half the time you have to disconnect the power to get it to recognize that an HDMI output is connected. What a joke. Glad to see it works for you without the dock.

I have a portable monitor with power passthrough but the speakers are quite AF, the same for my One NetBook T1 which piss me off. I just don't understand how devices far larger than my phones have so low max volume where you can hardly hear them!?

I have a portable monitor with power passthrough but the speakers are quite AF, the same for my One NetBook T1 which piss me off. I just don't understand how devices far larger than my phones have so low max volume where you can hardly hear them!?
Cheap chinese garbage

Yeah, the speakers on this portable monitor are way quiet. I just use BT headphones, but it also has an audio jack.

The deck only can accept 35 watts. So pass through should be no problem if the monitor supports itself

I'm actually interested in a decent portable monitor myself, but don't have any suggestions at this point. As far as charging the Deck, power passthrough etc I could see working with some of the portable monitors that have the proper specs and latest I/O standards. There are more than few Kickstarter/IndieGoGo projects for portable monitors which look ambitious on paper - reasonable resolution between 1080p and 4K, Supposedly high end display tech including OLED, refresh frequency above 60hz w/ FreeSync VRR support, wide gamut and decent contrast/brightness for HDR, a handful of inputs USB-C / DP / HDMI, often capable of running on its own battery or charging, some matter of stand/folding cover and usually a VESA mount, and typically 10 point capacitive multitouch - unfortunately, if they actually deliver or not is questionable, and/or come up as any better than the stuff one can find on AliExpress or some of the no-names on Amazon. The prices have always been just a bit too high for me to say "ah fuck it" , especially knowing that given itwas crowdfunding Icouldn't likely get an easy refund or t least I couldn't count on it. There are also those that are full on tablets as well, usually Android powered, but between concerns for specs, openness etc..and questions of how it will serve as a monitor; some advertise wireless monitor capability but this usually is predicated on a proprietary client / server application and I have no interest in that etc...so I've been wary.

If anyone sees some that are either a great value for solid specs, or ultra high quality and worth the price, let me know!

Yeah, you're almost always giving something up, or the monitor is way too damn expensive. I'm pretty happy with the one I got, for Steam Deck usage anyway. I got the 16:10 because that's the ratio the Steam Deck display uses, but I wonder if 16:9 would have been better since not all games actually support 16:10. Also probably wasn't necessary to get a 4K capable one, but I figured I might want to use it for something else in the future. Either way it wasn't too expensive so I'm not too worried about the shortfalls. Weird thing is it says it supports VRR but the Deck doesn't detect it as having the capability.

Back