Port Multiplier Support

I need to replace a computer. I have always had the big, bulky systems, but anymore, it seems I don't need or want that. So, I was thinking about buying this system:

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EKIH77M350

There is one thing I need to make sure will work, though. I own this produc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151070

Of course, you can't buy it from there anymore, but it's a good way to show what I have.

I would prefer to use eSata. This system above has eSata. But, I have a few concerns:

1) Do you even need port multiplier support when the unit has a hardware RAID like the one I am using?

2) If I do need port multiplier support, does the motherboard on this system support it? I tried searching, and can't believe there doesn't seem to be a direct answer (that I can find anyway). There's one page that made me think it might not be supported, but I am just not sure.

3) If it IS required and the motherboard does NOT support it, this system has "Mini PCI-Express / mSATA expansion" - does a unit exist I can buy to provide such support?

Thanks much in advance for assistance on this.

I know that with some external storage units, your eSATA port has the support Port Multiplier Mode. I just don't know if it applies to units that have internal RAID hardware and such too.

For Edification: Port Multiplication for eSATA allows you to connect more than one drive to a single eSATA port. A Port Multiplier eSATA port can connect to devices like this without needed 4 separate cables.

1. You may need to connect it to your system using USB 3 first to setup the RAID array. After that, you should be good to go with eSATA as it should show itself to the OS as one large volume. That thing looks smart enough to handle this well.

2. I don't see that on the page you provided. Knowing what motherboard is used may help to track this down. Can't help you here.

3. You can pick up one of these things to get a port multiplier SATA port, then you would need to find some way to get that to an eSATA bracket, then out of the (very small) case.

Honestly, I think it would be much easier to just use USB 3.

You sure? Because not only do the specs say "2x USB 3.0 (blue)" there is clearly 2 blue USB ports on the left hand side of the rear panel.

Back