Polk Monitor 30s or 40s for 2.1

Mabu

Limp Gawd
I've recently decided to branch out from the world of budget-friendly all-in-one computer speaker solutions, opting now for the component route. I was previously using the Logitech X540s, and have replaced them with the following spare components that I have:

Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver
BIC V1020 sub
Polk Monitor 30

I use my PC primarily for gaming and music, seated approximately 1½-2 feet from the speakers while in my normal seated position. Sometimes, I do like to crank the volume up a bit for some dinner music in the dining room, which is adjacent to the room in which my PC resides.

Currently running the 30s in that setup, but I do have a set of the 40s that I could also use. The desk that I am using isn't particularly large, so the 40s might be a tight fit. I could shuffle things around a bit to make space for them, but wanted to get some opinions first on whether or not it would be worth the trouble.

Ditch the Onkyo, they are the only brand that only has an active subwoofer crossover in stereo mode. It's very inconvenient if you add more speakers and there's no subwoofer output except when there is LFE.

Not worth the trouble unless you move the 30's to surrounds and keep the 40's up front.

I should have mentioned as well that I have no interest in expanding this setup past 2.1. While the X540s were a 5.1 system, they really offered me no value over 2.1 due to the way in which my desk space is configured. The surrounds were just a few inches away from the fronts, completely defeating the purpose of even having them, so I am planning on sticking with 2.1. The 30s and 40s both would not fit on my desk at the same time anyway.

Also, the Onkyo is a refurb that I got a few months ago from www.accessories4less.com for $200. I was using it in a spare bedroom, but it eventually ended up getting no use at all. I'm really not looking to spend any more money on a receiver at this point in time - hopefully the Onkyo will be sufficient for me in this 2.1 setup.

Last edited:
I re-read your first post and it seems you already have the monitor 40's in hand? Try them out and see if they are worth the swap.

Having used both, I'd say stick with your 30s for PC use. I'm using 40s now, having moved my original 30s to surround duty in the living room.

The only reason I ended up with 40s was that when I went to order another set of 30s, the 40s were on sale for $10 more, so I grabbed them instead. Now though, I really have no where else I could use them, they are just too damn big to fit anywhere else.

Old pic:

001csg.jpg

I'm sure they offer some benefit over the 30s, midbass authority or w/e, but I'm not sure that it's worth the loss in real estate. If you weren't using a sub then sure, but since you do have one...

YMMV

Update: I ended up sticking with the 30s, as the 40s simply occupied too much real estate on my desk. Have to say that the sound quality with them is a night and day difference compared to my old speakers, the Logitech X540s.

Update: I ended up sticking with the 30s, as the 40s simply occupied too much real estate on my desk. Have to say that the sound quality with them is a night and day difference compared to my old speakers, the Logitech X540s.

I agree, I upgrade from those speakers as well. Only I went with a set of Infinity Studio Monitor 185's (had free from a freind) and a set of Infinity Primus 162's powered by a Denon 1610. All I need is the sub I am pulling from downstairs (Polk PSW125) and I will rock the hell outta my office :)

I wouldve thought you would like the 40's better. Ive always liked them. I like the way they sandwich a tweeter between a pair of 5.25's. Gives the benefit of smaller drivers midrange quality with the big drivers benefit of added output. Suppose they are kinda big for a desk though.

I wouldve thought you would like the 40's better. Ive always liked them. I like the way they sandwich a tweeter between a pair of 5.25's. Gives the benefit of smaller drivers midrange quality with the big drivers benefit of added output. Suppose they are kinda big for a desk though.

Depends, I had them on a desk between 2 19" LCD's and they fit just fine...the Primus 162's are smaller and provide the same amount of sound for me at least.

But my desk is pretty big too lol

Back