Politicians Threaten Schools Over Campus Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Earlier this week, politicians threatened to enact new laws that prevent college students from swapping copyrighted files if universities don't do more to prevent it.

Congress should withhold funding from universities if they don't police their networks adequately. Universities receive tens of billions of dollars a year in federal research money, and the Department of Education handed out $82 billion in 2007 in new grants and loans to students.

The RIAA and MPAA looks like they just bought themselves some new Politicians, I wonder who is on the payroll and do they get any benefits? :p

The RIAA and MPAA looks like they just bought themselves some new Politicians, I wonder who is on the payroll and do they get any benefits? :p

qft. Somone really needs to look into this as to how or why a politician wants to fight a patent or IP violation for a corporation who just so happens to have billions in cash.

Only our dumb-ass politicians could threaten to create new laws to stop something that's already against the law.

The bigger concern lies in finding which universities have already "sold out". Some are more willing than others to sacrifice students privacy (whether or not they committed a crime) just to get in bed with the RIAA/MPAA.

The bigger concern lies in finding which universities have already "sold out". Some are more willing than others to sacrifice students privacy (whether or not they committed a crime) just to get in bed with the RIAA/MPAA.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the MPAA/RIAA has paid universities in other forms to sell out... such as perhaps giving the University some airtime on TV through their various contacts or buy them new stuff such as a new lab, library, or data center.

The only way to curb piracy is to remove the computer from the studen.

Only our dumb-ass politicians could threaten to create new laws to stop something that's already against the law.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!!

"we have determined that we need a new law, outlawing, the illegal trading of files... it will be filed monday by the department of redundancy department..."

Lets just face it, we have government of the corporation, by the coporation and for the corporation. It's just getting increasingly apparent.

It's the "golden rule" - he with the gold, makes the rules.

Oh and we love redundant laws: Hate Crimes anyone?? Everything Hate Crimes covers is already a crime. Or that could really be about thought crime I suppose.

IP rights > education now I take it?

It would be pretty easy to take these politicians to the cleaners should they deny money for education because of corporate interests. This can't be a serious threat.

i get a kick outta all the whining every time i see an article about busting people stealing music, lol.
"stop watching me... i'm just stealing" lol

i wish i could have used that whine when i was stealing, breaking into houses, selling crack or in shoot outs. good thing i grew out of that, i've got too much to lose now.

as the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. don't cry because they're trying to enforce the law. campuses should not let students use their networks to commit crimes. hell, you might as well whine that you're not allowed steal out of the bookstores.

you know what, maybe we should organize mass riots on university book stores and complain about privacy and other nonsense when we get caught.

i get a kick outta all the whining every time i see an article about busting people stealing music, lol.

i wish i could have used that whine when i was stealing, breaking into houses, selling crack or in shoot outs. good thing i grew out of that, i've got too much to lose now.

as the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. don't cry because they're trying to enforce the law. campuses should not let students use their networks to commit crimes. hell, you might as well whine that you're not allowed steal out of the bookstores.

you know what, maybe we should organize mass riots on university book stores and complain about privacy and other nonsense when we get caught.

Problem is not the fact people are stealing, if they are stealing then that’s wrong IMO... stealing is stealing.

The problem people have is that the government is doing the legal work and financing something that the business is failing to protect themselves. If someone stole one of my inventions, who is responsible to track the guy down? ME or the GOVERNMENT? The problem comes in that the RIAA is loathing up the piggy banks of politicians to convince the TAX PAYERS to pay for their infringements... instead of them.

Also, the other problem people have with the situation is that the innocent are usually at stake here.... they sue everyone and shut everything down, regardless if it's legal or not. So next time you want to get your favorite linux distro from a network and can't torrent it, you will know who to thank.

Also their process of suing everyone regardless without proof seems to piss a lot of people off... and rightfully so. They fail to produce a single shred of evidence, just a "hunch". You try and fight a case on a "hunch" and see how far you get.... even better yet... a cop acts upon a "hunch" and he is canned... yet this regime can go do this all day long... hell they sue dead people, kids, infants, grannies, some with out computers etc.

The fact is we aren't bitching about the concept of stealing, IMO its wrong and it's still stealing, we are bitching about their other ethics of framing you of stealing. What’s worse? Stealing or being accused and canned + fined for stealing when you in fact did not? Think about it.

I lol'd

This is pretty dumb. Most universities take the threats from the RIAA seriously. Mine does stop as much as it can short of throwin' the internet switch off, in a few ways, for instance, they regularly try to bust the on-campus DCC hub (and have only succeeded once and then just gave them a warning), and also if a computer is brought to the computer repair guys on campus, and data has to be backed up, they aren't allowed to back up any MP3s or movies (an absolutely retarded policy to be sure). Even then, there are almost monthly threats thrown at the college and they post up posters and yell at some students, etc.

In summary this is just a whole lot of hot smoke to make the rich executives feel better about...I don't even know. I don't know what they are thinking anymore. The harder they push into our lives in a paranoid delusion and a quest for profits that are falling because they are slowly being replaced by independent studios and personal recording equipment, the harder I will fight them and do all I can to undermine their pathetic crusade.

I totally see the connection between downloading music and murder/drug use.

Ever heard of gun control laws? Old news.

This really is reprehensible. The forward problem is that the universities are just going to pass on such penalties to the students. However, the obvious root is the politicians in the pockets of the entertainment industry. This is a front-page story ready to be broken. Start picking through their contributions!

You are COMPLETELY missing the point. Nobody is condoning stealing. It's wrong and, guess what, ALREADY against the law. Politicians in this country are there to serve the people, not to enact new laws that cover crimes that are already against existing laws so they can pander to the gigantic lobbying efforts by the RIAA and MPAA.

Is that what you want ? Laws bought and paid for by the highest bidder ? The RIAA and MPAA could virtually end piracy overnight if they actually used their heads and enacted a business model that makes sense. The days of $18 CDs are OVER. That's all they are trying to do is find a way to prop up a dinosaur business model.

Hell, the worst part is, if they just stopped wasting all the money they are blowing on buying politicians and pursuing petty theft, their bottom line would likely be vastly better.

Back