Polaris, Vega specs allegedly leaked

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
upload_2016-4-9_9-35-21.png

From AMD Vega 10, Polaris 10 & 11 Specs Leaked - Radeon 400 Series Launch Nearing

Would AMD really go with a 256-bit bus on the 490?
Bad enough with NVIDIA reducing to 256-bit bus on the 970/980 but sucks if this trend continues onto both the 14/16nm releases for these not cheap GPUS :(
Fingers crossed it is just a rumour, both fingers crossed neither use 256-bit bus on these tier of cards.

Especially if this slide is accurate:
image.png

Cheers

all speculation. waaaay to many TBAs in that chart! I also read somewhere else that the 490 would be 512bit... it's all BS until the cards actually hit the shelves.

490 will not be 512, Polaris is too small to have a 512 bit bus.....

yes die sizes of polaris 10 and 11 have been confirmed on linked in leaks, unless those leaks are false, they won't be large enough.

Maybe I am being irrational but I want 384-bit bus minimum for a 14/16nm GPU card at this tier (replacing 390-390x/970-980).
I just cannot get over the 980ti and its performance with 384-bit bus compared to measly 980 when scaling up from 1080 to 1400, yeah appreciate more to it than this but still I want my moneys worth :)
Cheers

I was just trying to make the point that we won't know what they'll be until we see an actually physical product, have a real working unit in hand. Right now it's all rumors and speculation.

edit for speeling

Last edited:
Yeah and what is the size of the 290x? What is the rumored size of polaris? There needs to be enough room for the pads.

Don't forget when the 290/X showed up no one expected it to have a 512bit bus. We can still be surprised.
Yeah dude, it's a huge die. You can't fit 512bit bus on a die that's half the size (or less) of a 290x

guys! don't argue over the 512 thing I was only saying everything is bs until it comes out. I coulda pulled that number out of my ass or confused it with something else...

guys! don't argue over the 512 thing I was only saying everything is bs until it comes out. I coulda pulled that number out of my ass or confused it with something else...
Haha chill, just explaining that it's because of the die size, not because we're on the nv marketing team and trying to shoot down Polaris ;)

TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA,... impressive specs :)

It's AMD's way of saying, "To Be Awesome!!!".

But yea, I thought it was funny that the OP reposted this leak from the other leak thread (which is only a few posts down from this one), just to provide little of substance.

It's AMD's way of saying, "To Be Awesome!!!".

But yea, I thought it was funny that the OP reposted this leak from the other leak thread (which is only a few posts down from this one), just to provide little of substance.

OP has very high expectations for Polaris ;)

I hadn't seen AMD talking about multi-GPU solutions hitting the mid-range before. That's an interesting idea; imagine a card with 2 cheap-o polaris 11 GPUs, each as fast as a GTX950 (but half the TDP) coming in around $200-- it would sweep the GTX970 into the gutter. Pretty interesting stuff.

I hadn't seen AMD talking about multi-GPU solutions hitting the mid-range before. That's an interesting idea; imagine a card with 2 cheap-o polaris 11 GPUs, each as fast as a GTX950 (but half the TDP) coming in around $200-- it would sweep the GTX970 into the gutter. Pretty interesting stuff.

That card won't be GTX 950 speed @ 40W. The card was throttled to 40W to demonstrate the efficiency. The final version will be higher wattage, and AMD didn't want to tip their hand yet. We don't know what power envelope(s) they're going to target with it, and just how well it will perform in that state.

By the time it comes out it will be competing with Nvidia's new GP104 cards, whatever the hell they're called.

At $200, seems unlikely. I guess the real question is whether GP106 can offer GTX970-level performance, entry-level VR speeds, at $200.

That strategy of putting multiple very small cheap GPUs on products targeting the mid-level rather than enthusiasts could pay off bigtime for AMD.

Either way, from the way they're talking about it, sounds like AMD will have a major TDP advantage this generation.

That strategy of putting multiple very small cheap GPUs on products targeting the mid-level rather than enthusiasts could pay off bigtime for AMD.

They tried that with their APU+low-end GPU configs in a sense, but don't really see that paying off in the enthusiast space. Multi-GPU is just too fraught with issues for the masses.

Back