PNY CS2030 240GB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe *Update*

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I never thought this would happen in so short a time, but me thinks the PNY M.2 drive is failing. Jeff (Stereo55) and I spent the better part of last night troubleshooting a whole barrage of BSOD's. I never thought there would be that many back to back!
eek.gif

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - dxgmms2.sys
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

And these are just the ones I remembered. Other BSOD's were flashes and reboots. I could'nt keep up. Did all the basics ie: Memtest, bios flash, clear cmos/bios, default everything. Everything checks out fine. Figured last piece to swap was the M.2 drive. Yank it and reinstall the Liteon SSD. Reinstall winders, updates, drivers, the whole she-bang. Running smooth as silk @ 5.0Ghz again

Purchased 2 PNY drives (one for me and one for Stereo55). His started dropping health in less than 3 months of operation. Health percentage @ 98%. Mine dropped to 99% and stuck there. Then all hell broke loose with the BSOD's. It was just crazy! I never had a rig throw up so many BSOD's in one shot.

Tried a winders reset and that lasted about 15 minutes before it crapped the bed. Tried a system restore, but no-go on that. Tried a winders repair and no-go on that either. So as a last resort I decided to do a clean reinstall of winders. In the middle of the install, another BSOD. Un-freaking-real
rolleyes.gif

Once I swapped the drives out, no more BSOD's or crashes. Dang PNY drive is only 6mos old. Purchased on 6/10/2017.

This confirms it that PNY is still a crap brand and nothing's changed from the last PNY crap a bought.

Yeah I've had good experience with Lite-On, even back to their cutting edge DVD burners that some folks had lots if problems with.. Do you still have the PNY? Would you sell it for 20 bucks?

I have the 480gb version in, it's been flawless so far. maybe just bad luck man a faulty one?

Yeah I've had good experience with Lite-On, even back to their cutting edge DVD burners that some folks had lots if problems with.. Do you still have the PNY? Would you sell it for 20 bucks?

Yeah Lite On has be rock solid for years. I've never had any issues with their optical drives. Sell the PNY for $20 bux? Hahahaha, no. It has a 3 year warranty and it's only 6mos old. Why would I sell it for $20? Thx for the laugh tho!

But here grab one before they sell out:
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS2030-2...1514248742&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=pny+cs2030

I have the 480gb version in, it's been flawless so far. maybe just bad luck man a faulty one?

Bad luck on 2 of them? I would doubt that, but most likely made from a bad batch. Haven't found any others with my issues aside from overheating/throttling which we attached sinks to them for that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back