Plz help guys new and i think in trouble? 6800

aachil

n00b
Hi guys i just brought a new graphics card today a:
gigabyte nvidia 6800 128mb ddr
andi juts loaded the overclock software which also gives ur gpu temp and i havent played 1 game yet and its on
72c is that ok or is this bad becuase im getting scared becuase my cpu temp is also around the high 40s low 50s aswell i have a
athlon 64 3500+ 939 socket cpu
im very scared its gonna blow up i just dont understand what the problem is please help or am i over reacting becuase i am a newbie when it comes to this stuff.
Any help is appreciated alot
also i got a tagan power supply of 380w with 20 amps on +12v rail its truepower tho?

That's normal.

You can't compare CPU temp to VPU temp. :)

The card will start thermal throttling at 120C, so you have nothing to worry about.

Are those your idle temps or load temps?

For comparison, my idle temp is usually 50-52 C, depending on room temperature.

The Gigabyte 6800's aren't known for having the best cooling either :)

In comparison though, my Leadtek 6800GT idles at 46C

ok thnx so i have nothing to worry about then but come on it aint exactly low tho is it my gpu temp at idle its 70c now i havent played 1 game yet and i.
Am scared if a play a good game like doom 3 its gonna go up 2 a lot higher or u sre everything is ok cause i am really worried about this and thnx for ur help

70C idle is NOT good. Google for a program called rthdribl, download and run it in a big window so you can see your GPU temps at the same time. Run it for 15 mins or more and tell us what your temps are after that.

Couldnt hurt to buy some cheap case fans, 2coolshopping.com sells some cheap sleeve ones for 3 bucks a pop, free shipping. Ive seen my bfg 5900 ultra hit 90c at the main menu in quake3 before. (Thats hotter than anything else has ever got it)

ok i have used that program u said rthdribl and its around the 80ish and that wa on for 10mins so what do u think its ok then?

yea, 65-80*C on video is fine, i wouldent start worrying till it starts topping the 100's

for comparison my BFG6800GT OC PCIE is running 42*F.... but then again its running a water block.

ahh ok then guys i just been playing conuter strike condition zero the past 20 mins and i checked the gpu temp and its around just past 80 mark which is ok i guess thanx guys much apreciated for the quick response so its ok then :)

Silicon Die temp can reach about 150 deg C before failure will occur. Now whether or not you get performance issues before then is another story. Most silicon "circuits" for consumer electronics are based upon die temps ~100C for design. So if you stay below that you should be okay "performance wise". Of course if you want to overclock...you will want to keep that temp lower.

-tReP

Stick an Artic Silencer NV5 on it and dont worry.. dropped me 8C lower then the stock cooler.

As someone mentioned above: don't overlook the case fan. If you can get one blowing air straight onto the card, the temps should drop off.

right ok then i will make sure to keep checking on my temp regulary just incase and see once again thnx guys for the help :)

Back