Please Help I want to buy the Dell U2414H but I am Afraid of the AG Coating I don't know what to buy

john5220

n00b
Hi guys I am considering buying the
Dell U2414H

I gave my mother my Dell S2415H, reason being the top of the screen came lose from the glue and I had to use some epoxy and well she needs a monitor as she now has a new desktop. This Dell I gave her has Glossy Screen its godlike when it comes to flawless clarity. Even my brother is crazy impressed when he looks at it compared to his matte samsung.

I am studying programming and so i have a LOT of Ebooks to read. But many years ago 7 years ago I used a matte screen and my eyes hurt like hell, it got crazy sparkles and floating dots in my vision from starring at the matte screen it was a samsung matte screen. Dell's hardcoating seems even worse than anything else.

Now my S2415H works perfect, HOWEVER during the day it has light from the both windows coming in. This does NOT create a problem once i have bright themes or white pages. But people have told me that even though the reflections may not bother me, its because my brain has adjusted to it however my eyes are constantly being damaged. The reflections are NOT strong they are light reflections but its clearly visible on anything besides perfect white pages. I was told that my eyes are constantly being damaged even though I don't feel like it.

When I said well I feel fine, it feels perfect, I was told I only feel this way because my brain is tricking me but my eyes are being damaged and I have to go matte. But if I go matte, I get sparkles and floaters in my eyes. Offcourse this was 7 years ago from starring at matte for too long.

So I really really need help from you guys here, the Dell says its 3H Hard Coat matte in the U2414H.

Also I am considering other options like this

https://www.amazon.com/VG245H-1080p...476671188&sr=1-2&keywords=asus+gaming+monitor

it does not have to be a dell. Its just that there is a $200 sale for the ultrasharp on Amazon right now. The HP 25er is semi gloss low haze which I can also consider. The ASUS is a 1ms Gaming Monitor I also play some games so it won't hurt but this monitor MUST BE a READING MONITOR first and foremost.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ultimately I would absolutely LOVE to re purchase another S2415H Glossy IPS. I love this monitor so much, its so perfect compared to any matte screen I have ever seen this thing is so clear its like starring into the face of god.

But my only 1 concern is the claims that when looking at a screen with reflections you will damage your eyes over time. But I dunno it feels sooo good staring at this screen for 6 hours at a time. No sort of eye strain or anything at all!!!! yet when I stare at a Matte I start to get sparkles, floaters in my vision. My eyes are so good and my attention to detail is like a curse, I see everything down to every last pixel its immediately noticeable how superior the clarity of a Gloss is compared to a matte. I can see the roughness and texture in the matte film.

Besides that issue, it does show up heavy reflection IF I am looking at a dark image. One of the Reasons i was considering a light Matte was because there is something SPECIAL about a Matte in bringing out images from the screen, it feels like the image is outside of the screen and you can grab it like text for example in visual studio.

In a gloss monitor because there is ALWAYS reflections to some degree the image gives off a "fake" look making you always know its behind a screen.

A bonus of the Matte could be using adobe PDF and turning white BG into Black and turning black test into Green giving it a type of Fallout look for reading and programming. Let me know what you guys think about this and how should I proceed.

What do you guys think about this?

https://www.amazon.com/VG245H-1080p...476675899&sr=1-2&keywords=asus+gaming+monitor

And how is the U2414H compared to those budget matte displays from Acer etc for $130 on Amazon?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back