Please advise me to current display technology and a new monitor to get...

itachi183

Limp Gawd
TL;DR What's the best monitors that are glossy right now? Budget 300 to 700$

I've been out of the game for a while. Last year I upgraded my 2012 rig to a 12600k, 32gb ram, and recently got a 4070 RTX

However my monitor is still a 2x 1080P 60HZ DELL IPS from 2010. One good thing about my monitor though is it's Glossy!
I briefly tried to find a Glossy monitor today and could only find Matte displays. I really prefer Glossy...

I'm also not familiar with any of the current technology or trends. Is OLED finally a thing that's affordable? Should I try out a curved or ultrawide? Is IPS still the best? Should I go for high refresh rate?

I mostly just do Music Production on my rig now and play around in Blender and Cinema4D and After Effects. However I don't really NEED color accuracy, a wide display may help though but I could always just use 2x of whatever I get.
I really want to get back into playing games regularly again, so definitely thinking about a high refresh rate monitor...

are there any Glossy monitors today that are good? I've stayed at 1080P All this time cause It was easiest to run games
But now I have a 4070 RTX, and I hear of "Variable Refresh Rate" technology and "DLSS" technology which allows them to run the games smoother / better or so I'm thinking of going 1440p or higher.

My old monitor is: Dell S2415H
  • Display Screen Coating:Glossy with hard coating

This is how glossy it is
1703402604107.png

[Not my picture] My display however is in controller lighting so I have no reflections...

Are there any displays today that are glossy? lol

Are there any displays today that are glossy? lol

There are no glossy monitors anymore, sorry.

OLED is King, but only for gamers of a certain kind. "QD-OLED" is what you would research for.

OLED in general still is not fit for work! Static frames, like timelines and such, will burn in after months if you display them for 8 hours a day on the same position.

Curved is not really helpfull.

Ultrawide with "virual" separation into 2 blocks for work is not as smooth as having 2 separate monitors and attaching windows onto them. It is like an alpha romeo. Everybody should own one, once. 34 inch is the minimum advised size.

Have a look at the 43qn91/92/93/94c which are fit for work and play (and are a tiny bit better than the 90 series). Nowadays you have to really play around with the settings to get it to show a proper picture [ 4.4.4 / HDR / advanced input signal (on the samsung tv)].

LG has a proper 2x27 inch setup with a cool stand/swivel that they stopped producing and is cheaply available if you look for it.

Using two monitors for gaming means you have to dial the resolution down a bit.
2x 2560 x 1440 @ 75Hz seems perfect, so look up the LG 27QP88D-B.

Have a nice day !

fyi:

Where i come from we get the presents tonight.
And not from santa but from the:
1703418434856.jpeg

Last edited:
Where i come from we get the presents tonight.
And not from santa but from the:
View attachment 622268
What, from the Christmas Fairy? :)

(We get our presents during the day today, from Santa Claus.)

Should I try out a curved or ultrawide? Is IPS still the best? Should I go for high refresh rate?
I very recently got a new monitor (upgraded from 24" IPS 1920x1200@60 Hz to 32" IPS 3840x2160@144 Hz VRR). I was uncertain about what format to go for as well (ultrawide or not etc), so I drew outlines of the respective sizes on a large piece of cardboard and taped it on to my existing monitor to get a feel for them. I'm glad I did, because I realised that 32" 16:9 would clearly suit me better than 34" UW.

IPS still has the same low contrast ratio and IPS glow as it had in 2010. Backlight tech (CCFL->LED), VRR (variable refresh rate), higher refresh rates, size and resolution are all meaningful improvements though! To me, size and resolution stands out for office work, and VRR for gaming.

If you're not in an absolute hurry, I'd suggest holding on until Q3-Q4 2024. Next-Gen stuff will be released during that gap in multiple varieties.

TL;DR What's the best monitors that are glossy right now? Budget 300 to 700$

I've been out of the game for a while. Last year I upgraded my 2012 rig to a 12600k, 32gb ram, and recently got a 4070 RTX

However my monitor is still a 2x 1080P 60HZ DELL IPS from 2010. One good thing about my monitor though is it's Glossy!
I briefly tried to find a Glossy monitor today and could only find Matte displays. I really prefer Glossy...

I'm also not familiar with any of the current technology or trends. Is OLED finally a thing that's affordable? Should I try out a curved or ultrawide? Is IPS still the best? Should I go for high refresh rate?

I mostly just do Music Production on my rig now and play around in Blender and Cinema4D and After Effects. However I don't really NEED color accuracy, a wide display may help though but I could always just use 2x of whatever I get.
I really want to get back into playing games regularly again, so definitely thinking about a high refresh rate monitor...

are there any Glossy monitors today that are good? I've stayed at 1080P All this time cause It was easiest to run games
But now I have a 4070 RTX, and I hear of "Variable Refresh Rate" technology and "DLSS" technology which allows them to run the games smoother / better or so I'm thinking of going 1440p or higher.

My old monitor is: Dell S2415H
  • Display Screen Coating:Glossy with hard coating

This is how glossy it is
View attachment 622264

[Not my picture] My display however is in controller lighting so I have no reflections...

Are there any displays today that are glossy?
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-al...70-samsung-s21-ultra.2032194/#post-1045800745 Get this, you are too far away to buy mine but they are perfect for work and darn good for gaming too. The resolution is spot on. Other posts are correct, My new LG 45 OLED is outstanding for gaming however I gave up a lot on the work side of the equation . I run my 32 for work and spill over to my LG only when needed. I think the AW3821 is well under a Grand new and I trust there is a Dell equivalent in the $ 899 area.

If you're not in an absolute hurry, I'd suggest holding on until Q3-Q4 2024. Next-Gen stuff will be released during that gap in multiple varieties.
Do you think OLED would be able to fix it's burn in problem? I usually have interfaces up all day long so definitely that's a problem.
I heard the new ipad pro 12.9" Is releasing next year and they fixed the burn in problem for that display supposedly?

I very recently got a new monitor (upgraded from 24" IPS 1920x1200@60 Hz to 32" IPS 3840x2160@144 Hz VRR). I was uncertain about what format to go for as well (ultrawide or not etc), so I drew outlines of the respective sizes on a large piece of cardboard and taped it on to my existing monitor to get a feel for them. I'm glad I did, because I realised that 32" 16:9 would clearly suit me better than 34" UW.

IPS still has the same low contrast ratio and IPS glow as it had in 2010. Backlight tech (CCFL->LED), VRR (variable refresh rate), higher refresh rates, size and resolution are all meaningful improvements though! To me, size and resolution stands out for office work, and VRR for gaming.

Yeah, I've been debating over "should I really get an ultrawide??" past few days. TBH I don't see me actually liking one, I wish for them to release an OLED 27" or 32" flat without burn in lol

Im one of the biggest glossy screen enthusiast on this forum. I currently use a LG C2 42" OLED TV screen, its pretty much glossy and i highly recommend it for perfect contrast popping HDR. Before that i used a glossy Acer 21.5" 1080p monitor you may actually still find on ebay (Acer H226HQL, see one used on there right now). The Dell S2415h isn't actually pure glossy, it has some kind of dirty filter in it, but its pretty close to glossy. 24" 1080p is way too big pixels if you ask me, i never liked it. 22" is pretty much max size for 1080p if you still want an aesthetic looking picture.

Frameless
Sorry for the random ping, I just now read your post on my previous thread about Dell S2415h asking for a glossy monitor...

Didn't want to bump the thread. The LG looks really nice, but is too big for me. Do you know of any current new ones or ones coming out soon? I basically max out at around 32" I feel for my desktop setup.
I didn't know my dell had a filter on it, it doesn't help much tbh it's pretty reflective still but I can see it's very slightly blurry now, interesting. Maybe I'd be happy with a semigloss monitors lol?

Do you think OLED would be able to fix it's burn in problem? I usually have interfaces up all day long so definitely that's a problem.
I heard the new ipad pro 12.9" Is releasing next year and they fixed the burn in problem for that display supposedly?

Yeah, I've been debating over "should I really get an ultrawide??" past few days. TBH I don't see me actually liking one, I wish for them to release an OLED 27" or 32" flat without burn in lol

Frameless
Sorry for the random ping, I just now read your post on my previous thread about Dell S2415h asking for a glossy monitor...

Didn't want to bump the thread. The LG looks really nice, but is too big for me. Do you know of any current new ones or ones coming out soon? I basically max out at around 32" I feel for my desktop setup.
I didn't know my dell had a filter on it, it doesn't help much tbh it's pretty reflective still but I can see it's very slightly blurry now, interesting. Maybe I'd be happy with a semigloss monitors lol?
Well, the LG has built in automatic functions to address this issue. Time will tell. I did get a 4 year extended warranty that is transferrable for mine. Just in case I need a swap out. The beauty is well worth the low risk. The functions can also be done manually.

I would maybe go for a gorilla glass Dough Spectrum One 27" 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor if you don't want risk of burn in or a big screen:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1798804-REG/dough_es07e30_spectrum_one_with_gorilla.html (do not buy from Dough, they have a very bad reputation of not delivering goods)

From what im hearing, it has the clearest picture around right now with pure RGB pixels and very small pixel dot pitch, making for a more aesthetic picture.

Then again, there are several promising screens coming out in 2024. The 32" 4K QD-OLED could be good.

Back