Planning to put 2 x 24 hotswap cases together

WestSidaz

Limp Gawd
Hello!

Case is that i already have 2 x 4224 Norcos running... i am thinkin about getting 3rd 24 slot case running to basement... and i have been thinkin about attachin it to one of those norco boxes with SF8088 cable with HP SAS Expanders..

The box where i am gonna connect that new box already has expander running.. and i need sf 8088 cable to it... and i need second expander aswell..

but the tricky part for me is that to where i am gonna connect that expander so all hdds in that new case will boot up properly with that main box? and what is best way to use psu aswell so everything will boot up properly at the same time...?

back in the days i saw small PCI-E card what had molex slot in it and pci-e slot in it some other stuff... but i cant find it what was it or with what name i should look for that kind of part...

and ofcourse if anybody has any good ideas how this should be done or what is best way to do it... please let me know.. i want everything to boot with main boxes on/off switch.. ofcourse both boxes has its own psu so that one button must boot both psus aswell.. back in the days i saw also that kind of part what can do it but it was time ago..

It was an industrial backplane from Orbit Micro. I still have one laying around and had to modify it a bit to fit. Essentially one would just control power to it with the switch on the power supply. I don't think there was a way to use the front panel on the Norco chassis instead without further modification. Can upload some photos if you want.

Alternatively I think some people just used inexpensive motherboards to do the job and I think those could function properly with the front panel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ohh snap...

More googlin and blue foxes help i found what i was looking for

http://norad.fr/wp-content/gallery/nn/P1040289.JPG

Blue fox yes i am interested about pics.. and yes i was also thinkin about some cheap mobo like MITX but would it be a good idea to do it like that coz it would leave mobo to try booting up.. not just give the power..? and was that the part u have there?

and staticlag... wouldnt it be easier, tho more macgyver way to just steal from "power on" signal from main pc to this new server from 24 pin connector ?

and i guess if i buy a mobo for it instead of that small block with pci-e slot, i still have to somehow steal a boot signal from other pc so all boots up the same time?

Yeah, that's what I have. I believe with the motherboard, people didn't install a CPU, though not all would provide power to the PCIe slot in such a state. I'll have the photos up in a couple hours.

No, you're looking at 32 drives. It has 8 internal SAS connectors. 36 ports total, but 4 of those are used to connect it to another SAS expander or HBA regardless of whether or not you use the internal or external connection. If you want the backplane and/or SAS expander, let me know as I'm trying to sell mine at the moment.

Ohh yes it had only 8 connections... hmm... where did i even get 9... wierd coz i already have 2 of those so i should know better ;D anyways.. i ll pm u about those parts..

One way to power up both would be

Dual Power Cable

Tho one one could also be just power up "slave" server before "master" server so "master" server could be pick up expander and all hdds from "slave"

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back