Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

Google Fi was having a deal on it last month. They had the Fold4 for $900 also.
GF is how I ordered the S23U today. With my 7 Pro trade-in and instant GF $600 discount, the S23U will cost me $250 unless I return it cuz I like the 8 Pro better.

GF is how I ordered the S23U today. With my 7 Pro trade-in and instant GF $600 discount, the S23U will cost me $250 unless I return it cuz I like the 8 Pro better.

How does this deal work exactly? When do you need to return your current phone for trade-in? Can you wait for the new S23U to show up, and then send back my Pixel 7 Pro?

How does this deal work exactly? When do you need to return your current phone for trade-in? Can you wait for the new S23U to show up, and then send back my Pixel 7 Pro?
Okay, GF is offering a $600 instant credit for the S23U right now. They shipped the S23U much earlier than originally expected, but still haven't shipped the trade-in kit. It'll be about 14 days before the 7 Pro needs to be sent back to preserve the discount and trade-in price.

Not seeing the S23U for $600 off? And they're only offering me $224 credit for Pixel 7 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-05-46 Google Fi Wireless.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-05-46 Google Fi Wireless.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-08-31 Google Fi Wireless.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-08-31 Google Fi Wireless.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
That discount is only for Google Fi subscribers.

Oh k makes sense. Oh well.

I'm on T-Mobile, been with them for ten years, haven't actually purchased a phone through T-Mobile in years, have always bought unlocked phones on Google or whatnot. So we have upgrades available on all lines, but I never see any deals with them, it's always $50 / month for the S23U.

Pricing;

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-22-21 Arsène Lupin on X.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 21-22-21 Arsène Lupin on X.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 0
Oh k makes sense. Oh well.

I'm on T-Mobile, been with them for ten years, haven't actually purchased a phone through T-Mobile in years, have always bought unlocked phones on Google or whatnot. So we have upgrades available on all lines, but I never see any deals with them, it's always $50 / month for the S23U.
GF runs on TM's network, but I'd still be with TM if I didn't work from home. I'm on wifi all day/night so my monthly bill is only $20 + tax for unlimited talk/text. GF includes the first 1GB of data, but it's $10 per additional GB up to $60 for 6GB. No additional cost if you go over 6GB.

GF runs on TM's network, but I'd still be with TM if I didn't work from home. I'm on wifi all day/night so my monthly bill is only $20 + tax for unlimited talk/text. GF includes the first 1GB of data, but it's $10 per additional GB up to $60 for 6GB. No additional cost if you go over 6GB.
I have the unlimited plan. I pay $82 a month including $25 for the phone.

Good for them I guess. What if I don't have a trade in phone and I don't do the googlefi stuff?

It gets really retarded.
It is the same with all mobile services. You don't get a deal unless you use their service. Why would Google just sell you a $1200 phone for $600 for you go take it somewhere else?

It is the same with all mobile services. You don't get a deal unless you use their service. Why would Google just sell you a $1200 phone for $600 for you go take it somewhere else?
Because it's not really a $1000 phone? Idk, that seems excessively expensive for what its packing. Feels like the price is jacked up to offer amazing looking trade ins and whatnot.

*Edit* Is google all-in on only trying to make an "ecosystem"? Idk, I really haven't kept up on what any of them are doing since I only use mint.

Last year I remember there was something from Best Buy where between discounts and BB gift cards, trading in my 6 for a 7 would have cost me $50. About all this is worth to me, I guess $100. The 7 and now the 8 have been a letdown for me after the horrible fps on the 6.

I guess the 8 has a face scanner? That would be huge if it was good and didn't, say, not work for people with facial hair or some other inane issue.

Still relatively slow charging times, not that the 6 is bad but the new stuff is FAST

Wish resolution was a bit higher
Real zoom

So the geekbench scores go from 1K/3K to 1.7K/4.4K, but it runs hot (like the 7/7pro/iPhone). But if it's got more horsepower it should be running full tilt much less often. Upgrading from the 6 to the 7 was dirt cheap, I'm still hoping to see similar to the 8.

Ordered the Bay Blue Pixel 8 Pro from Google for myself, and will give the Watch to my daughter. Also ordered the Hazel Pixel 8 from Best Buy will give that my Wife who currently uses a Pixel 5a. Wonder if the Wife will notice the upgrade going from the Pixel 5a to the Pixel 8?

I was so close to grabbing a S23 Ultra, even went to Best Buy checking it out, but that dang 'store demo mode' is brutal and really not a good way to test and get a feel for a phone. I liked it but didn't love it.

Main thing I wanted over my current 7 Pro;

-Much brighter screen
-Flat display
-Better battery life / more efficient
-Updated modem

Cancelled my order with Google and bought from Best Buy instead. Same deal with the watch but you get $550 for the P7 Pro instead of $420 with Google. No choices on the watch though if you want LTE or other color bands.

1696435505695.png

Why am I questioning myself going with the Bay blue color for the 8 Pro? I'm not a fan of black phones, as those are just too plain Jane boring to me. I used to always get white Pixel's, Pixel 2 XL panda white, Pixel 3 XL white, Pixel 4 XL frosted white, Pixel 6 Pro white, Pixel 7 Pro Black and I never liked it. But the porcelain color on the 8 Pro I was worried would be more beige cream colored, with rose colors sides, so I went with the blue instead, now not sure if that was the right choice? I did want something with some pop, something different.

Last edited:
Cancelled my order with Google and bought from Best Buy instead. Same deal with the watch but you get $550 for the P7 Pro instead of $420 with Google. No choices on the watch though if you want LTE or other color bands.

View attachment 603297
I tried that too, but BB makes you choose AT&T or Verizon even with the unlocked 8 Pro. What’s the point of selling an unlocked Pixel if you still have to choose a carrier?

I tried that too, but BB makes you choose AT&T or Verizon even with the unlocked 8 Pro. What’s the point of selling an unlocked Pixel if you still have to choose a carrier?

Make sure you select activate later when adding to cart. By default it sets to activate today which puts you down the carrier flow.

1696436692988.png

Changed my order, cancelled the blue, and went with the Porcelain Pixel 8 Pro. Reason being, back in the day I had the Motorola Nexus-6 Shamu, at the time only the Midnight Blue was available and the Cloud White always out of stock, and I never liked that Midnight Blue at all, was more of a purple / light blue, and the frames / sides had a glossy almsot light purple look to it, I never liked it, and I always wished I got the Cloud White.

Last edited:
As expected, I'm pretty disappointed with these phones. It feels like the Pixel 3 all over again; pretty much the exact same specs as its predecessor with a slight design tweak (at least no regression like that laughable notch on the 3 XL though). I'm baffled why anyone would upgrade to this from a 7, or even a 6. The base 128GB storage is comical for their price.

But at least it does seem they shrank the base 8 a little closer to the size of my 5, with it being basically the same width and only 6mm taller. I may be able to handle that, but ideally I don't want a larger phone. The arbitrary Pro feature exclusives (like the video boost that's all done in the cloud anyways) feel pretty grimy though.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a base 23 or Zenfone 10 still after all this. But BF or later deals can sway me for any of them too. For now I'm still good with my 5 at least and don't care to wait a while even though it's about to get its last software update (at least it'll still get security updates for another year too), which is another arbitrary limitation from Google. The 7 years of software updates for phones going forward was by far the best thing to come from their announcement today.

As expected, I'm pretty disappointed with these phones. It feels like the Pixel 3 all over again; pretty much the exact same specs as its predecessor with a slight design tweak (at least no regression like that laughable notch on the 3 XL though). I'm baffled why anyone would upgrade to this from a 7, or even a 6. The base 128GB storage is comical for their price.

But at least it does seem they shrank the base 8 a little closer to the size of my 5, with it being basically the same width and only 6mm taller. I may be able to handle that, but ideally I don't want a larger phone. The arbitrary Pro feature exclusives (like the video boost that's all done in the cloud anyways) feel pretty grimy though.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a base 23 or Zenfone 10 still after all this. But BF or later deals can sway me for any of them too. For now I'm still good with my 5 at least and don't care to wait a while even though it's about to get its last software update (at least it'll still get security updates for another year too), which is another arbitrary limitation from Google. The 7 years of software updates for phones going forward was by far the best thing to come from their announcement today.
The 8 is still a massive upgrade from your 5, though. Pro exclusives aside, it should have a much better camera system, run much faster and have a nicer display, among other upgrades. Think it may be worth a hands-on (or waiting for the reviews) before making a final decision.

Back