PIII Tualatin heat spreaders

ASTROdog

n00b
Anyone know of any significant benifit to removing the heat spreader on a tualatin chip? I got this celeron 1.4 tualatin that did 1.6 stable (115mhz fsb) with no voltage bump, going to up the voltage a tad and try for 1.8 but before I get everything in place I was humoring getting rid of the spreader.

nobody? Well the replacement mainboard is coming in today, guess the cpu is going on with the heatspreader in tact.

I'd say it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Its not like your <25 watt P3Tualtin needs excessive cooling. A 80 watt+ P4 might be worth ripping off the heat spreader.

cool thats what i needed to hear, the stuffs going all together tonight around midnight. gonna take a day or two to get my wiring all nice and hid again, the replacement mainboard has completely different component locations (going from dual to a single cpu board) :-/

I've only done the IHS on Celery because they're cheapies but from what I found I wouldn't bother with doing it again. Mostly because the core is so thin that it leaves the Socket 370/A designed heatsinks with very little pressure retained and so the heatsink slides around easily and they come off of one side almost chipping the core, etc. not to mention this hindering heat extraction more than helping :mad: When it all went right it was about a 3ºC improvement but no increase in clock was possible. Overall I would say it's a waste of time and stress.

Well I put it all together and sheared the fingers right off my tualatin to standard PIII adapter. Good thing I had a spare. I de-arched the retainer clip to compensate for the hight and its all good (proper re-tempering, not just a bend).

Post some benches with it fully OC'd. I'd like to see how it does.

Cause I had wanted to get a Tualatin back in the day, when I was on my old P3 rig. And figured it wasnt worth it due to the bandwidth limitations (FSB & sdram)

Here's the gear installed + a benchmark @ 1.6ghz / 115mhz fsb:

http://www.s10forum.com/modules.php...lery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3

the benchmakrs are in a subgallery on that page. only difference in the installation now is i rigged a support for that heavy ass heatsink so it wouldn't kill my remaing adapter. The 1.6 benchmarks are on my old mobo tho, i haven't gotten around to reinstalling windows for the new mainboard yet.

The reason the new board went in is that the dually rig done blowed up. Won't even post anymore, just makes the dead cpu error code through the PC speaker. I'm holding off till I can do an ath64 right. Btw those benchmarks are against dually setups, didn't notice that till after I took the screens and powered down. Once I get an OS on this system I'll post benchmarks againts single cpu systems.

use some modern CPU's to compare your benches to

Like this.... :)

screen3666.jpg

abp.gif

abq.gif

I'll probably get a better boost if I can manage to get it into a 133 mhz bus. I can't even get it to post at anything above 1.6 ghz but I think it has to do with my adapter's manual voltage settings, being that the bios can adjust voltage but it's gotta get that far first. I just gotta yank out the heat sink and the cpu to bump the voltage up a notch or two. Oddly enough it's rock solid at 1.6ghz.

nada... maybe the chip just can't handle that clock even w/ a voltage bump. 1.6ghz / 115fsb it is then.

You need the 1.2Ghz version of that chip, so at 133FSB you're at 1.6Ghz... and hopefully you could get even higher.

B/c I'm sure you need the memory & FSB bandwidth. Or if you got a super chip 1.8Ghz at 150FSB would be REALLY nice.

However, you would still only be at 1/8th the bandwidth of a nicely overclocked 875/865 mobo.

:shrug: does me just fine till i save up for an ath64. besides, clock for clock i'm doing fairly good against a p4, should do just fine for a while.

The A64 with 939pin mobo (dual channel with out ECC) should be sweet.

I'm waiting to see how Prescott does. I'm probably going to stick with what I have for several months. Unless I can pop in a cheap (2.8Ghz) Prescott and get 4Ghz on aircooling

w3rd. I didn't even wanna sink more money in this, was gonna stay with my celeron 667, but I got a dvd-r for christmas an wanted to max it out for some video editing, then the mainboard fried and I had to replace that.

Back