PII 940 to 1075 - 1100T

RumpRoast

Gawd
Hey guys, starting to get the itch to upgrade again. I'm currently running an ASUS M4A785-M with a 940BE and DDR2 1066. Seeing that the motherboard supports up to the Thuban 1100T I was wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade from what i have. The only thing that I'm worried about is my motherboard only supports DDR2 and not sure if it will hinder performance of the new processor.

I mainly use my machine for gaming, surfing the web and wife uses it for Netflix. I just recently upgraded my vidcard from a 9800GTX to a 560GTX, old SATA 320gb drive to a WD Black 1tb and replaced my Tuniq Tower with the Hyper 212+. All this is going into the old machine to breathe new life until I can upgrade from scratch hopefully sometime towards the end of next year when the my financial situation gets better. I'm just trying to make this system stretch til then.

I play BF3, Black Ops and wife started playing Sims 3 again if that helps. Thanks in advance.

I think it will be a very marginal improvement, although most Thubans clock to 4.0 ghz pretty easily under a 212+. If your 940BE is a C2 Deneb (like my old chip was) you'll oc improvements going to a C3 Deneb (like my current 955BE) as I was able to get another 600 mhz on air. Which is quite noticeable! It still posts and runs benchmarks right up to 4.5 ghz but I need water.

It would be a pretty decent upgrade. I moved up from a X2 unlocked to an X4 and I got a very noticeable bump in performance in games. My Windows Experience went from 7.4 to 7.6 to for whatever that's worth.

Thanks for the responses guys, I was able to pick up a 1090T for $65 on Craigslist so we'll see what kinda performance boost I see from this. Would a bump of my ram from 4 to 8gb help see any further boost? This will basically be a new/old PC as I haven't installed the new vidcard, hd or the Hyper 212+ yet.

Bf3 officially uses a minimum of 6 threads so a 1090t was a good move. Going to 6 or 8gb will big good too because 4gb is the minimum for that game.

Ah good point. Having to deal with 64 other players and changing maps does drive the CPU usage up a good bit. Being a strict single player guy, I always forget about the multiplayer drain on a rig. :D

My 940 with 4gb of ram and the 560 runs BF3 pretty well. I get a slight studder within a few secs of starting the map. After that, it runs pretty smooth with no slowdowns so far. Got the CPU and now waiting on the 8gb ram after Christmas.

Back