Pico PSU Requirements for an SFF build

Use a thin itx board, and a dual slot will fit. That's what I'm planning on doing with my F1C.

Galax/KFA2 GTX 960 oc itx has a somewhat slimmer heatsink than most other GTX 960 itx.

galaxgtx960itx.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, that does look pretty thin, if only that DVI port wasn't there!

Use a thin itx board, and a dual slot will fit. That's what I'm planning on doing with my F1C.

Rawrr, are you planning for a thin itx + some small psu (like the HDplex 160w) + add2psu?

Galax/KFA2 GTX 960 oc itx has a somewhat slimmer heatsink than most other GTX 960 itx.

galaxgtx960itx.jpg

Is it thin enough as to when you add the deafult fans taht come with the card it is still somewhat smaller than most of the other gtx 960 itx?

28 mm total with 10mm fans (default fans are 15mm). Planning to remove the DVI.

Last edited:
True. I hope that the only 17W of the e3 1220L V2 would make it possible to use flat heatpipes to move the heat from the CPU (and chipset) to the GPU heatsink.

AMEC THERMASOL ultraflat, bendable heatpipe looks interesting.

Saw someone use those flat heatpipes in an FC9 build on SPCR but he used it on the GPU, was almost able to go fanless but not quite with a low profile 750 Ti, with heatpipes on 35W CPU

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67808

I have a question which is not really related to the title of this thread, but it might be persistent with the topic we are discussing about.

Since we were talking about Streacom FC1, do you guys know some good 40x10mm and 60x10mm fans? For the 40x10mm there is the obsivous Noctua... but I have no clues about 60x10mm. I can only find random brands which I have never heard of.

I have a question which is not really related to the title of this thread, but it might be persistent with the topic we are discussing about.

Since we were talking about Streacom FC1, do you guys know some good 40x10mm and 60x10mm fans? For the 40x10mm there is the obsivous Noctua... but I have no clues about 60x10mm. I can only find random brands which I have never heard of.

I was going to ask the same thing... all the ones I can find are not power managed. If I do find one I'll post it!

i could use molex to 6pin right? im more concerned about its rails set up

True that. But it seems that the 12V on that PSU has 8A, so around 96W. Which should be enough for a single 6 pin (75W). But don[t take my words for it, as I`m a noob on the subject. :rolleyes:

Something strange about those flat heatpipes the FC9 build. According to the description, they dont work very well in vertical position :confused:

True that. But it seems that the 12V on that PSU has 8A, so around 96W. Which should be enough for a single 6 pin (75W). But don[t take my words for it, as I`m a noob on the subject. :rolleyes:

Im new to this stuff too, theres two 12v rails and.the other is 14A

The Pico can go over its rated max by quite a lot. I'm pretty sure you could run a 960 off of one. I would recommend splicing your own 6-pin instead of using a molex adapter, iirc adapters increase resistance (not too sure though).

Im new to this stuff too, theres two 12v rails and.the other is 14A

That Seasonic should be fine, the system won't even approach the simultaneous TDP powers unless you run Prime95 & Kombustor torture tests simultaneously which isn't a realistic load even for gaming. I've done that with a 3770K plus a 750Ti off of an HDPlex 160W supply no problem, registered about 135W to the motherboard. Looks like the Seanonic came with a 6-pin PCIE connector so no adapter needed.

Last edited:
Something strange about those flat heatpipes the FC9 build. According to the description, they dont work very well in vertical position :confused:

I think it's the same with most heatpipe based coolers. My AXP100 worked much better when mounted horizontally in my Node304 case as the vapor is meant to rise up, condense, and flow back down to the CPU interface. Mounted vertically, bends to the right, in my Lone case performance took a noticeable hit. Noctua for their C-style recommends not mounting so the bends are at the top as performance will be really poor.

OK. What would the performance impact be if it was bend in a (horisontal) U-shape, like this ?
_____
_____)

OK. What would the performance impact be if it was bend in a (horisontal) U-shape, like this ?
_____
_____)

Hard to gauge, I just noticed my idle temps weren't as good, couple degrees C maybe. Under a Prime95 load you'd need to fix the CPU fan speed to really gauge, my temps were still OK so I'm not worried in that sense. But if you look at the Noctua installation PDF for a C-type cooler like the C14, first page bottom right for a tower configuration they X out the one orientation for performance reasons. (Caution: In tower style cases, please avoid installing
the NH-C14 with the bends of the heatpipes pointing
upwards as this may result in reduced cooling perform-
ance.).

http://www.noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_c14_manual_en.pdf

My low profile GTX 960 itx

galaxgtx960itxmod.jpg

Wow, what's its height after the surgery? :p
What fans are these, btw?

The Pico can go over its rated max by quite a lot. I'm pretty sure you could run a 960 off of one. I would recommend splicing your own 6-pin instead of using a molex adapter, iirc adapters increase resistance (not too sure though).

Do you guys know if the 2-PIN molex that the thin itx board gives you 12V if one connects a 12V AC-DC to the mobo dc input? I couldn't find any information about it and this would allow the use of minibox pico psu on boards that support 12V input such as the gigabyte ones. (Maybe I should post the this question on the thread about the ultra slim water cooler build)

Last edited:
Wow, what's its height after the surgery? :p
What fans are these, btw?

Do you guys know if the 2-PIN molex that the thin itx board gives you 12V if one connects a 12V AC-DC to the mobo dc input? I couldn't find any information about it and this would allow the use of minibox pico psu on boards that support 12V input such as the gigabyte ones. (Maybe I should post the this question on the thread about the ultra slim water cooler build)

It should be the raw DC input whatever that is, but most are 19V that have the 7.4mm jack.

The heatsink that comes with the Galax/KFA2 GTX 960 oc itx. Only 18 mm.

If I should go for a somewhat bigger slim fan for my ITX build, which is most efficient; prolimatech ultra sleek vortex 14 or silverstone fw121 ?

Last edited:
The heatsink that comes with the Galax/KFA2 GTX 960 oc itx. Only 18 mm.

If I should go for a somewhat bigger slim fan for my ITX build, which is most efficient; prolimatech ultra sleek vortex 14 or silverstone fw121 ?

Wow that's amazing. 18 mm is the width of a single slot, PCI bracket, right?

Osl, how hard was it to remove the DVI connector from the card?
Can it be easily installed back without soldering skills? :x

No soldering (multilayer pcb hates resoldering). Careful brute force and a metal hacksaw (and a lot of dusting/cleaning) ;)

Started modifications on the FC1 EVO, made a hole for the GPU I/O:

mK78rqsl.jpg

Question: I'm thinking about replacing the front power LED in this case with a custom one that's 3V. What voltage does the motherboard supply from the power/hdd LED pins? Does it matter? I don't want to blow out the new power switch LED if 5V or 12V are coming from the board.

Nice, what parts are you using?

Gigabyte H87 board, 85W Haswell CPU, a 160W PicoPSU, and a GTX 645.

I picked the GTX 645 because it supports 4K over Displayport, is a single slot and fully PCI-E powered, and I could get it for $40 on eBay... While not the most powerful card, at some point in the future it would be fun to take this mod further and do something like osl's GTX 960.

Gigabyte H87 board, 85W Haswell CPU, a 160W PicoPSU, and a GTX 645.

I picked the GTX 645 because it supports 4K over Displayport, is a single slot and fully PCI-E powered, and I could get it for $40 on eBay... While not the most powerful card, at some point in the future it would be fun to take this mod further and do something like osl's GTX 960.

Should be an easier mod then. GTX 645 is an OEM card, isn't it? It used to be in the X51. Not a terrible little card! :)

Started modifications on the FC1 EVO, made a hole for the GPU I/O:

mK78rqsl.jpg

Question: I'm thinking about replacing the front power LED in this case with a custom one that's 3V. What voltage does the motherboard supply from the power/hdd LED pins? Does it matter? I don't want to blow out the new power switch LED if 5V or 12V are coming from the board.

Nice cutting! How do you plan on fixing the card in place?

Nice cutting! How do you plan on fixing the card in place?

Thanks! Not sure yet... was going to get everything else in place and then see about that.

Some thoughts I have are modifying the SSD/HDD mounting plate that comes with the case so it sits lower and supports the GPU. Another thought I have is tape... I think I could support the card in place from below and attach ether end to the case.

Thanks! Not sure yet... was going to get everything else in place and then see about that.

Some thoughts I have are modifying the SSD/HDD mounting plate that comes with the case so it sits lower and supports the GPU. Another thought I have is tape... I think I could support the card in place from below and attach ether end to the case.

Nice, I have this case and was thinking of doing the same thing.

Keeping an eye on this thread!

Should be an easier mod then. GTX 645 is an OEM card, isn't it? It used to be in the X51. Not a terrible little card! :)

Yup, it's an OEM card from the Alienware X51–– from what I've read it performs a lot like the GTX 650/TI. Glad to see there are others who are attempting the same thing! It's too bad there aren't more powerful single slot cards around. I spent a lot of time looking for a card that would work for this build, there aren't very many great single slot cards. Here are other contenders:

1. Single slot GTX 750 TI (http://www.techpowerup.com/206212/g...t-geforce-gtx-750-ti-razor-graphics-card.html). This card could be great, but it's too long by several cm!

2. GTX 745 looks like a worse card to me–– it's got DDR3 instead of GDDR5...

3. The single slot AMD FirePro and Nvidia Quadro cards look like they could be perfect. The K2200 has about the power of a GTX 750 TI and the AMD FirePro W5100 has 4 display ports which is pretty awesome... Downside of these cards are they are crazy expensive. The GTX 645 actually looks to me like it's using the same cooler for the Nvidia K2000/K2200. Will be curious to see what Nvidia has up it's sleeve for the GTX 950.

Other than that, I think the neatest possibility would probably be doing something like osl's GTX 960!

The Galaxy/KFA2 GTX 750 Ti OC Slim is also a very interesting small card, but unfortunately is has a ridiculously big heatsink (just dying to be replaced by something slimmer)

Last edited:
Back