Pico-ITX as arcade cabinet

kyodai

n00b
Small, smaller - Pico-ITX. If you don't like small then you're gonna hate this one.

Who doesn't like to have one of these old fashioned arcade cabinets - but then again who got the space for these... So how about a miniature version?

I had that idea and had to make a case mod out of it...

Not 100% finished, still lacks the side decals and some smaller fixes.

Materials used:

- Old Tomy Mini Arcade case (Well was kinda collector thingy, but oh well..)
- Pico ITX Board VIA Epia PX
- VIA Pico ITX Daughterboards IO, Control and Power
- Via C7 CPU @ 1 GHz
- 1 GB Ram (DDR2 533)
- 160 GB 2.5 Inch SATA HDD
- Stereo Speaker (Well these were cheap)
- 3.5 Inch TFT
- Converter VGA->TV
- USB Hub
- various cables (ultra short VGA, USB power, Chinch, etc)
- Gender Changer VGA
- 2 Power supplies (screen & board)

Pics from building phase:

The original case:

1276357055.jpg

Fitting the TFT:

1277038557.jpg

The parts:

1278216440.jpg

The final result:

1284576586.jpg

Sorry, no pics from the inside as i literally just had to squeeze everything together. Imma try to get some more pics and maybe a video.

Edit: And here a video with side decals and running some games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pUoD1tC_Y

Last edited:
That is very impressive. Hell I would buy one for pure coolness factor.

More fun than buying is making one. I got an offer of 600 USD on mine and imma prolly sell it for that (OK for that price imma even build in a fan for prolonged use). I already have more pico-itx creations in my mind and can use the money.

I also have a second cabinet of this size with a steering wheel. The original decals are a bit wasted though... Not sure i i can make anything usefull out of the steering wheel.

I have an idea of a holographic screen, "SEGA Hologram Time Traveler" style if anyone remembers that old arcade game from 91. However, it's hard to get games that suit for such a setup. I tried to get hold of the original laserdisc footage but it wasn't available. Maybe imma make a POC that lacks a cute case but just to try out how the Digital Leisure released DVD footage would look on it (Its not 100% Laserdisc accurate).

That's pretty wicked... my buddy tried putting one into an SNES console but his didn't turn out nearly as good hahaha

I didn't know Lucky's came with a filtered smoke...

I grew up smoking the unfiltered ones :D

More fun than buying is making one. I got an offer of 600 USD on mine and imma prolly sell it for that (OK for that price imma even build in a fan for prolonged use). I already have more pico-itx creations in my mind and can use the money.

I also have a second cabinet of this size with a steering wheel. The original decals are a bit wasted though... Not sure i i can make anything usefull out of the steering wheel.

I have an idea of a holographic screen, "SEGA Hologram Time Traveler" style if anyone remembers that old arcade game from 91. However, it's hard to get games that suit for such a setup. I tried to get hold of the original laserdisc footage but it wasn't available. Maybe imma make a POC that lacks a cute case but just to try out how the Digital Leisure released DVD footage would look on it (Its not 100% Laserdisc accurate).

What's a holographic screen?

Back