picking out wireless router

MrSlacker

[H]ard|Gawd
ok i am planning on getting a wireless network, so i have some quastions about it
1) Will 802.11g interfere with my 2.4ghz phone?
2) What is the best router for 802.11G?
right now i am looking at Linksys WRT54GS and D-Link DI-624
if you own any of them please tell me what you think

I have used both and the linksys doesn't seem to affect my phone but the dlink i had did that is why i went to linksys i just think they make a better overall product just my 2 cents

i bought the SMC one that has the USB Print Server.

it's been flawless since I got it back in February.

Well...1 flaw....printer's a bit screwy (when printer is offline for an extended period of time, you have to waste a sheet of paper getting it back online...it'll print out 10% of the page, then quit.
if you try printing again, it prints fine.)

thanks. after reading some reviews on that d-link, i'll probly go w/ linksys
anyone else wants to help out?

I've had lots of luck with the linksys wifi routers and AP's... only issue was that the AP's would lose connection when upside down.

DONT ASK

i had a dlink-614+ for my first hardware router, then i upgraded to the dlink-624. love this router, boots fast, strong firewall, fast 54g, 108mbit wireless capable.

I had a Speedstream (Siemens) Wireless AP/router which worked really nice for about 2 years. It croaked on me Friday, thing was HORRIBLY hot and it was dead. Something melted down inside it is all I can think of. I bought it becuase my Linksys WAP11 v1.1 had shitty range and only worked like half the time.

I just switched back to a Linksys AP/router and it works great so far. I do miss the Speedstream's Dynamic DNS however.

I have the Linksys WRT54G and the Linksys BEFW11S4. Both are great and work perfectly. Upgraded to the WRT54G so the other one is just sitting in its box. Both are awesome routers.

The Dlink one is not bad. A friend of mine has it and I helped him get it up and running. Don't like the setup page compared to the Linksys though.

Overall, I think the Linksys would be the better choice.

I had a Speedstream (Siemens) Wireless AP/router which worked really nice for about 2 years. It croaked on me Friday, thing was HORRIBLY hot and it was dead. Something melted down inside it is all I can think of. I bought it becuase my Linksys WAP11 v1.1 had shitty range and only worked like half the time.

I just switched back to a Linksys AP/router and it works great so far. I do miss the Speedstream's Dynamic DNS however.

Strange. I also had the Speedstream router. Mine worked great too for about the same amount of time, but over the past few weeks it's been flakin out on me. It's been randomly losing connection to my boxes and has to be restarted in order to regain connection. Due to the lack of support for this router I've picked up a Netgear WGT624 (108mpbs), which should arrive today. The WGT624 supports Dynamic DNS too!

Don't go with D-Link. I think they have poor cooling. Whenever the router I had would work for long periods of time it would intermittently disconnect computers. We would get messages about network cables being unplugged.

I've got a Netgear WGT624 802.11g 108Mbs router that I got from Amazon for cheap (~$35) after rebate. It works very well and I haven't had ANY problems with my 2.4GHz phones.

linksys WRT56G, kick ass router, ran Sygate security scan, all ports BLOCKED (stealth) where as the dlink router i have still has closed ports even with firewall on

Below has all the information: (Just thought I would like to warn all the WRT54G owners)
http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5LP060KD5K.html

Basically, your wireless routher can have someone else log on as admin from the Internet if you don't have strong password or properly set it up. This can lead to someon f*cking up your hardware or messing up your wireless security and stealing your Internet connection.

Back