Pick me a laptop!

xvioz

Weaksauce
I know absolutely nothing about laptops besides the fact I want one. What I'm looking for is rather basic me thinks; dual core, 3-4GB of memory, 250gb hard drive and a video card that can do VGA or DVI out with a supported res of 1680x1050.

Is it possible to do that (VGA out from laptop to LCD @ 1680x1050)? That's the thing that's stopping me from buying certain models because I haven't got a clue. No games will be played, it's all for Interweb/work/graphic design/web development.

No real set price range but, naturally, the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Asus G1S. I bought mine off of ebay with the "buy now" option. I know this is called a gaming laptop, but the horse power will help you with your specific tasks you mention above. It only comes with a 160GB HDD but can always upgrade to a bigger 7200RPM. It does support the 1680x1050. Does not have a VGA, only DVI and HDMI, but can get an adapter.

Would the Asus M50SV-A1 do VGA out @ 1680x1050?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29220

I could buy that right now, the G1 I'd have to save a bit for but I think I would benefit more from the better CPU in this one than an extra GB of memory in the G1 NCIX has got listed.

Thanks for the reply!

Lenovo T61. I got one when fatwallet was doing 15% cashback and it is awesome. Great for graphics work, which is what I got it for. Adobe suite products run smooth as butter. Built like a tank too. Just a note though: If you buy it do a custom restore and disable the lenovo software you dont need.

try a dell xps 1530, i just recently bought one and it has served me really well. I use it for work (IT department) and also school. i got the 2.4 ghz c2d, 4gb ram, 160gb hdd, has wireless N and also the video card is not too bad 8600mgt

Can i ask why you want a laptop? Is it because of the mobility or the form factor takes up less space?

Kind of a combination; I want to turn my desktop into a media center and ditch the old one. This way if I get a laptop I can plug my keyboard/mouse/monitor into it and also unplug those and take it with me.

Back