Photoshop printing blurry text - WHY?!

DellAxim

Gawd
I'm working on a .psd file in Photoshop CS2. One of the layers in the file is text, and when I print the file, it comes out blurry, as if it were a jpeg of text, not actual text. But it is text! I've tried two different printers, but both are the same. I need this file printed ASAP, with good text!

Why is this happening? Can't Photoshop print text as text, not like a photo?

My guess is a low resolution. Try using a resolution around 300 dpi or greater instead of the default 72.

EDIT:

For comparison, here's the print preview in Photoshop of 72 pt text at two different resolutions:

40784742oo2.gif

EDIT2:

After reading your post, it sounds like it's only the text that is blurry. In that case, it might not be the resolution. It could just be Photoshop's bad anti-aliasing on fonts.

I'd still and try to recreate the document at a higher resolution. That might help.

I don't know why all this DPI stuff matters. I use the default 72dpi and the image always prints at high quality when I print at 1200dpi settings. For example, a custom mouse pad company requested me to send a 300dpi image for my mousepad rather than a 72dpi -- but I don't see the difference because if I were to print out my 72dpi image through -MY- printer @ 1200dpi quality, it would print just as good as my custom mouse pad using a 300dpi PSD and in-fact even better quality. o_O

Ok, anyway. Photoshop might not be the best program to use for printing sometimes, especially when you're just wanting to do text. I would suggest saving the image as a PNG, then inserting it into a Microsoft Word document or something; set the document margins as low as your printer/Word will allow, and if you need to (depending on the image) set the document as a landscape layout. Then just print @ 1200dpi quality.

I have a Brother HL-5250DN monochrome laser printer; works just fine for me. o_O

I don't know why all this DPI stuff matters. I use the default 72dpi and the image always prints at high quality when I print at 1200dpi settings. For example, a custom mouse pad company requested me to send a 300dpi image for my mousepad rather than a 72dpi -- but I don't see the difference because if I were to print out my 72dpi image through -MY- printer @ 1200dpi quality, it would print just as good as my custom mouse pad using a 300dpi PSD and in-fact even better quality. o_O

Ok, anyway. Photoshop might not be the best program to use for printing sometimes, especially when you're just wanting to do text. I would suggest saving the image as a PNG, then inserting it into a Microsoft Word document or something; set the document margins as low as your printer/Word will allow, and if you need to (depending on the image) set the document as a landscape layout. Then just print @ 1200dpi quality.

I have a Brother HL-5250DN monochrome laser printer; works just fine for me. o_O

That sounds pretty off...you just might not be printing large enough graphics for it to matter.

Back