Photo Sharing with Family

Turd Furguson

Limp Gawd
I have a lot of photographs that I would like to share with my family. I have been researching the best way to allow everyone to view the photos through the net. Smugmug has caught my fancy as the Pro version allows HD video to be uploaded. Although that would be useless if you don't have High Speed internet. But anyways, there are a lot of family photos that I want to throw online. Like 15 gig worth.

I do have webspace available already with 1&1 so I am attempting to set up Zenphoto or Gallery2 for sharing stuff. But I am not sure how well it will turn out.

So what are you guys using to how many albums online that are simple to navigate for the non-tech savy individuals out there?

Well I signed up for snugmug with the coupon YAHOO which gives you 50% off the first year. I got the middle package.

I'm using gallery2 on a generic shared hosting package from a local hosting provider.

You'll have to make sure that the provider meets the pre-requisites of gallery2, but the menalto folks do a good job summarizing all of them and you can just email it to the pre-sales team at the hosting company.

Running my own software allows me to control photo sizes available, resolutions, ratings, album sorting, access control etc...etc... While I haven't exhaustively examined all of the photo sharing sites out there, I find them more tailored to folks who have galleries for public exhibition, more than private, although I understand password protection is becoming more popular.

In my case I have overlapping private audiences like a Venn diagram - work friends, my family, in-laws, extended family, friends of the in-laws - all are only able to see certain branches of my gallery when browsing around depending on who they are "related to". Not sure if smugmug etc.. allows the creation of many accounts and group permissions, or if they simply allow you to set a "password".

Features are also upcoming in future gallery releases which will be able to notify subscribed users of new content in their areas etc...

Then, of course, I can still do anything I want since it's generic shared hosting - files, videos, embed videoplayers and other flash tools - whatever.

Another G2 user (and G3 testing). I'm with Dreamhost (PM me if you want a coupon ;) ).

I'm at ~700gb of used drive space and 200k pictures on the site (I sync it back to my FreeNAS box for backups). I have about 70k "public" images for all to see.

My ONLY complaint is that DreamHost seems to have speed spikes. Sometimes the site is FAST... other times it's SLOW.

I know a lot of people dislike DH, but, you can't beat the price for storage ratio and since it's only my family and some public that sees it, database/site speed isn't much of an issue.

15gb isn't that much space for a lot of the larger providers...

Back