Phison PS5018-E18 Controller

1337Goat

Gawd
Finally released in the form of the new Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. I've been waiting for something E18 for ages now.

Any other models coming out? $200 for 1 TB is pretty expensive, but honestly, not really a big deal, considering it's second gen PCIe 4.0. 7000 MB/s and 6000 MB/s write. But sequential speeds are meaningless. Any good benchmarks?

I already ordered mine, so if you want NEXT GEN performance, this is it. Or perhaps another SSD using Phison's E18 controller?
I'd almost prefer Gigabyte's rendition of the E18 controller, but I guess Sabrent was....faster. ;)

If you have any additional information on new products using the E18 controller, list 'em below in the comments.

They are testing prototypes with micron's new 176L nand + E18. They are supposed to come out in the first half of 2021 I think.

Sabrent is the cheaper of the PCIE 4.0 gen2, the Samsung 980 Pro 1TB and WD Black SN850 1TB costs $230, while the Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus retailing for $200, amazon already has a user review showing almost 7k sequentials, certainly looks a pretty solid offering. What i do want to see is sustained transfer speed once the cache is run out and the temperatures. Btw i have 1tb n 2tb on my way, will post some benches next week.

Yeah, I've said for awhile that ONLY RANDOM MATTERS!
Sequential is icing on the cake. Literally icing. I want proper, fluffy cake.

So that's why I've been waiting for the E18 for so long.

Before this, for a high-end system, I actually used Micron's P5 SSD.
But that one doesn't enter this generation, even though it's rather new. Poor Micron. Or Crucial, I guess.

Hopefully their second attempt at creating in-house NVMe SSD controllers goes better. It's currently on sale for an attractive price, but I doubt enthusiasts will care much for it.

It's this E18 that ought to get more attention. At least for me, I've been waiting patiently, waiting specifically, for an SSD that used the E18 controller. I get a good ~feeling~ about it.

Three separate little ARM CPUs seem like a good way to split up the data movement.
"32-bit ARM Cortex R5 (Three CPUs)" That's what I think makes this release very interesting. The fact that we have three CPUs reading and writing data seems to imply the capability of better random seeks. And that's just ~moist~ Like cake. ;)

Back