Phenom II 965 OC results?

Roberty

Extremely [H]
Got my new system up and running last night with a 125watt 965. Started it up at 3.82ghz right off the bat and installed Windows 7 last night and then stressed tested it for a few hours fine. I just upped the multi to 19.5 so it's running 3.92ghz and still on stock voltage. Need to stress it to make sure it's stable but so far so good. What are you guys getting max at stock voltage on this chip and what are you getting with slight voltage bumps on air? I'm running a Blue Orb II heatsink/fan btw. 4ghz was my original goal with this build but now I'm thinking this thing can do more than that maybe. :cool: Just wondering what others results are and at what voltages?

I dont own a 965, but you should get 4 GHz with almost no voltage bump(assuming 3.92 is stable)....guessing yuo got a C3 chip :) I would guess you will hit 4.2 or so on air w/o trouble, maybe higher.

Got my new system up and running last night with a 125watt 965. Started it up at 3.82ghz right off the bat and installed Windows 7 last night and then stressed tested it for a few hours fine. I just upped the multi to 19.5 so it's running 3.92ghz and still on stock voltage. Need to stress it to make sure it's stable but so far so good. What are you guys getting max at stock voltage on this chip and what are you getting with slight voltage bumps on air? I'm running a Blue Orb II heatsink/fan btw. 4ghz was my original goal with this build but now I'm thinking this thing can do more than that maybe. :cool: Just wondering what others results are and at what voltages?
NICE!!! Keep this thread updated on your results. I wish I would've been able to afford one of the new C3 X4's. I'm halfway there with my new mobo though. I'll hopefully be able to get one when the prices drop.

Bumped it up to 4.02ghz. Stable with a 3/4 volt voltage bump to the cpu - 1.425volts now. These C3 chips seem to be pretty nice cpu's. :cool:

Phenom%20II%204.02ghz.JPG
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice OC. I can't wait to get one of the newer chips. My 720 x3 runs out of steam at 3.45 Ghz for folding. I can't wait to get ahold of an x6 CPU under WC and hope it can run at 3.6-3.8.

nice.. if its stable at 1.43v.. should try a little higher just to see what it maxes out at.. you have room all the way up to 1.55v depending on if your running decent cooling..

Start stressing these numbers before you call them an OC :p

Because your volts look a bit low for these clocks...

I was able to hit 3.8GHz @ 1.4v but I had to take it to 1.5v for 4.0 and all was stable.

I tried 4.2GHz @ 1.55 but it did not work.

TeeJay

I realize this is an older post but I was curious to know if the Blue Orb ii could handle the Phenom 965. Would the TT Blue Orb 2 be as good or better than the stock cooler provided with the Phenom 965 C3? Thanks in advance for any help.

i'd say same or worse tbh.....

if i recall the blue orb is similar to the ULTRA X-WIND....which i have used on my Phenom II....temps were same as stock......i get better temps with a Phenom I stock cooler(from a 9850....actually get rather acceptable temps when i dont have florida weather invading my room :p )

I realize this is an older post but I was curious to know if the Blue Orb ii could handle the Phenom 965. Would the TT Blue Orb 2 be as good or better than the stock cooler provided with the Phenom 965 C3? Thanks in advance for any help.

It's a decent cooler but I'm sure there are better ones out there. I never ran the stock cooler so I can't compare the two - sorry.

Start stressing these numbers before you call them an OC :p

Because your volts look a bit low for these clocks...

I was able to hit 3.8GHz @ 1.4v but I had to take it to 1.5v for 4.0 and all was stable.

I tried 4.2GHz @ 1.55 but it did not work.

TeeJay

I did some serious stress testing and ended up having to get mine up to 1.5volts like you did to get it 100% stable 100% of the time under serious stress testing loads. I ended up dropping back to 3.8ghz at stock voltage and it's ran flawlessly no matter how hard I push it ever since. If I had a little better cooling solution I would have left it a 4ghz everyday but I decided for a 24/7/365 computer 3.8ghz at stock voltage made more sense to me.

So I originally went with the Blue Orb 2 because it fits in my TT Lanbox Lite. I need a low profile cooler >100mm. I have spent some time on Frostytech.com but have not had a lot of luck. Does any one have any good experience with low-profile coolers on the Phenom II 965 Ce?

I need:
A. Low Profile
B. Quiet
C. Never Mind Cheap... I want to know the best low profile cooler.

Thanks again,

Andy

Last edited:
Blue Orb ii will not keep my Phenom ii 965 ce at manageable temperatures. I was forced to stop the machine as it charged towards to 60˚ Celsius in a matter of minutes. I assume that these results are typical.

the blueorb II is a piece of junk when it comes to high end quad cores.. i have one sitting in my closet.. the only multi-core processor that heatsink could handle was my athlon x2 BE-2350 @ 3ghz 1.38v which kept it at about 50C which is exactly what the stock aluminum block heatsink did.. it couldnt cool my athlon x2 6400+ at all.. heck i couldnt even use it on the athlon 64 3200+ 130nm clawhammer..

My case is the TT LanBox Lite which, if I remember right has 100mm clearance between the board and the power supply. I am about ready to give up on. My priority list for a case goes in this order... 1. Quality 2. Size (small) 3. Cool (temp) 4. Quiet

I have considered going with the Corsair H50 to cool off my Phenom ii 965, just dont know what case. *Correction* I am now looking very seriously at going Corsair H50 with Antec Mini P180. Decent set up?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Last edited:
What kind of CPU cooler is everyone using?

Last edited:
Nearly 4.0GHz on stock voltage!? That's a good chip! My 965 needs 1.5v to be bullet-proof at 4.0GHz.

Nearly 4.0GHz on stock voltage!? That's a good chip! My 965 needs 1.5v to be bullet-proof at 4.0GHz.

most of these chips will hit 3.9 on near stock voltage (my thuban will do 3.8 at 1.38v), the 4.0 barrier requires some "oomph" on the Phenom II's)

The Guru3d swears by the OCZ Vendetta coolers.He uses them in all of his Phenom reveiws.Goes to 1.55 volts and then finds a stable clock speed.

My results are in signature using Intel burn test to confirm

Back