Phenom II 965 BE 125W

Chops

Limp Gawd
Anyone here pick up one of these yet? How are they overclocking?

3.4 GHz at 125W was bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe now AMD can introduce a 3.6 GHz CPU at 140W :)

so where are these available??? they werent suppsoed to be out for months. i just picked up my 955 as i didnt want to push the wattage on my board. arg.

I don't see the point of these...... And they are coming out with a 975 too...

The 945 was fine.....

I don't see the point of these...... And they are coming out with a 975 too...

The 945 was fine.....

965 is unlocked.. so comparing it to the 945 is a mute point since the 945 doesnt overclock for shiznit unless you have a board that can handle high FSB clocks.. an unlocked processor will always be better then a locked one.. but as far as TDP's go id agree the 945 is probably the better choice.. but then this is [H] and running a processor stock is worthless to us.. :p

The point of these is that they do 4GHz with lower voltage than the C2's were capable of. More people should be able to achieve those clocks with lesser cooling than was needed before. They also have a lower idle voltage than C2's and new Pstate voltage dropping for the NB during idle so they save you $ from your electric bill. In addition the IMC is improved so DDR3 1600 is now possible (?) at 7-7-7 timings instead of 8-7-7.

all the site links i found for that part number says no stock, date of availability unknown. so its not out yet.

LOL. by that mentality we would still be using an abacus.

Well, I can kind of see the point though.

It doesn't really matter whether you get the 940, 955 or 965. The 940 does lack DDR3 support, but apart from that, they are all essentially the same CPU. They all come unlocked and reach about the same frequencies when overclocking. AMD just changed the stock multiplier, gave the CPU a small voltage bump and called it a new "model".

The 125W 965 however is a new revision of the core. IMO it's more exciting than the introduction of the original 965, since that was essentially an overclocked 955 (increase the multiplier by 1x, bump the voltage from 1.35V to 1.4V.. if that's not overclocking then I don't know what it is).
Also 140W is too high for a CPU at stock settings. Even 125W requires good airflow and a pretty big (for stock) cooler. The 975 will again simply be an overclocked C3 965 and not as important, provided they keep selling the C3 965 as Black Editions.

Last edited:
Well, I can kind of see the point though.

It doesn't really matter whether you get the 940, 955 or 965. The 940 does lack DDR3 support, but apart from that, they are all essentially the same CPU. They all come unlocked and reach about the same frequencies when overclocking. AMD just changed the stock multiplier, gave the CPU a small voltage bump and called it a new "model".

The 125W 965 however is a new revision of the core. IMO it's more exciting than the introduction of the original 965, since that was essentially an overclocked 955 (increase the multiplier by 1x, bump the voltage from 1.35V to 1.4V.. if that's not overclocking then I don't know what it is).
Also 140W is too high for a CPU at stock settings. Even 125W requires good airflow and a pretty big (for stock) cooler. The 975 will again simply be an overclocked C3 965 and not as important, provided they keep selling the C3 965 as Black Editions.

just about every single "line" of processors is the same way. this is nothing new. they use one core and modify it to suit their needs. we always get a bunch of cpus that are pretty close MHZ wise, which is rather stupid, but this is nothing new. and if they are going to revise the core that much, they should be changing the name.

The new 955's will have a locked multiplier though to keep the 965 BE more exclusive. At x16 it's not much of a problem for normal overclocking anyway. When the 975 comes out we don't know how long the 965 BE will exist if AMD decides to do the same thing there.

Screw you guys, I'm waiting for the 995 BE. Hahahaha.

The point of these is that they do 4GHz with lower voltage than the C2's were capable of. More people should be able to achieve those clocks with lesser cooling than was needed before. They also have a lower idle voltage than C2's and new Pstate voltage dropping for the NB during idle so they save you $ from your electric bill. In addition the IMC is improved so DDR3 1600 is now possible (?) at 7-7-7 timings instead of 8-7-7.

DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7 has always been possible with the 955/965 chips and if you were lucky to get a 720 or 550 with a good IMC it was available there.

What I would like to see is a chip capable of something higher than 1800mhz RAM.

Anyone here pick up one of these yet? How are they overclocking?

Picked one up with gigabyte combo deal Frys had last week but not sure if I have 125W or 140W. The chip I got is HDZ965FBGIBOX, Frys shows it as 125W, Egg @ 140W, even AMD list it as 140W. CPU World list it as 125W using the CPU ID Chart.
Hell I'm :confused:

H: Phenom
D: Desktop
Z965: Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz, quad-core, unlocked clock multiplier
FB: 125 Watt, Socket AM3
GI: Stepping C2
Box: Boxed processor with fan/heatsink

Last edited:
That is C2. For a C3 the code would end in GM not GI. With Phenom II's the TDP code for 125W and 140W is the same... so you have trust AMD's specs over what other websites say.

Nobody that knows is allowed to say because they would all be under a NDA. There are a couple Business Class C3's available but they are OEM only at the moment and nobody has bothered to buy a HP or other brand system with one installed and do any real testing that I've seen. The only C3 overclocking we've seen so far was the Phenom II X2 550 and 555 ES (Engineering Samples).

I have another system with X2 550 that is unable to be unlocked, don't know whether I should upgrade to X4 965 C3 or wait for Thuban next year.

When is Thuban coming out? I guess that I could do a Thuban system with an 890 chipset + USB 3.0 and Sata III.

cheers,

how does one easily distinguish the C stepping form the B, is it because they are non BE variants of the 955?

B stepping was the Phenom I. Original release of Phenom I was B2, then B3 followed with important improvements (TLB bug and overall higher clocking). Phenom II was/is C2 and is going to C3, again with improvements (NB pstate voltage idling and lower idle vcore, better clocking, etc.). Next year we will have Thuban (six cores) in revision D...so following the same pattern D1 might be the engineering samples and D2 could be the initial release. The way it is so far, the new steppings have completely different part numbers. Phenom II's of today have a GI at the end of the OPN code while the C3 models will have GM. You don't have to open the package to identify the stepping because most reputable retailers will give you the real model OPN, not just "955".

so if i want a lower TDP 955 then i'm looking for a C3 stepping with a GM suffix in the OPN?

Back