PG27AQDM 240hz OLED vs PG27AQM 360Hz IPS for competative FPS?

-snoopi-

Limp Gawd
What would you guys think would be more ideal for competative FPS gaming out of the 2 new Asus beasts:
PG27AQDM 240hz OLED
vs
PG27AQM 360Hz IPS

Both are just about available and nearly the same price in Australia.

My main concern is what would feel better and smoother at a competative point only, not any other category, like image quality does not matter.

I know the 360Hz IPS should be more desirable than 240hz for competative fps due to the higher refresh, but I have heard in the past, that the instant pixel response from OLED makes it feel like a faster panel than what their refresh rate states.

Plus, I think it will be difficult to reach upto 360fps anyways. For example, I currently use a Acer Predator 270Hz IPS monitor, and in PUBG I rarely hit or stay around 270fps even with a RTX 4090 and all settings on low @, 1440p. I more or less hit 180-250fps in PUBG with my rig.

So what would you guys think out of the 2 for my intentions?

It would take 480Hz fast-IPS to be competitive against 240Hz OLED in motion clarity. So go with the faster panel tech.

I would pick the OLED for motion clarity.
Interesting, I am actually kind of keen to see what a fast paced gaming orientated OLED is like for competative play, since there hasnt really been any monitors like it in the past.

It would take 480Hz fast-IPS to be competitive against 240Hz OLED in motion clarity. So go with the faster panel tech.
But wouldnt 480hz be a waste for me, because I am never going to reach anywhere near that amount of frames with todays GPUs. Like I said, I can barely reach upto 270fps at the moment, and when I do it does not stay there for long and then drops.

Always take what people are saying with a grain of salt. Most people here don't even play competitively or use both of them. The best way is to buy both of them and test them yourselves.

In terms of motion clarity, they are the same. The AQN has a 3.55ms blur edge time (BET), while the AQDM has a 3.30ms BET. Your 0.5ms 270Hz 8.0 panel won't be far from 4.5ms either. However, with 360Hz, you don't need to worry about stuttering or input lag when the extra frames go beyond 240Hz without the need to cap FPS.

Regarding ULMB2, if you truly play competitively and want the best technology, you will eventually get the XL2566K. The backlight strobing of that TN panel has more brightness, which is stronger than ASUS 360Hz ULMB2. And you need to see the 1000Hz motion clarity ULMB2 difference with the pulse width below 80. However, with the brightness drop below 200 nits, similar to OLED, it's hard to see anything for competitive play.

I'd go with the OLED personally, seems a better fit for you and because of what others have already posted.

Beautiful thanks for that link, pretty much exactly the comparison I liked to see.

Yea, I understand that if you want the absolute maximum competitive performance, you would go with the TN Benq monitors as all the esports players use. But, I am never going to be that level of a player, and I don't know if I want to sacrifice that much image quality lol i know I said image quality doesn't matter in my original post, but I don't know if I could fathem TN level of quality for better motion. It is tempting though, after seeing that UFO image with DYAC enabled on the Benq, damm that motion is clear as day!

Always take what people are saying with a grain of salt. Most people here don't even play competitively or use both of them. The best way is to buy both of them and test them yourselves.
I would get both, but I am in Australia and we do not have the luxury of being able to return electronic goods for a refund without fault unfortunately. So I would be stuck with both and losing money selling one if I had to.

Oh wow, just found out newegg offers returns with no restocking fees even for international customers.

Now I am super keen on getting one of these. But I also saw on their website they have the Acer 27" OLED 240Hz and 360Hz IPS just like the Asus variants.

Which one is the better out of the 2 Acer v Asus?

Both panels offer a 25" 1080p mode so you can game at that resolution and then surf the web at 1440p. You will get the better ppi so 1080 will look better than a typical panel according to the pics on Asus' site.

I would get both, but I am in Australia and we do not have the luxury of being able to return electronic goods for a refund without fault unfortunately. So I would be stuck with both and losing money selling one if I had to.
Then get 360Hz for motion clarity and longevity. You can also use strobe light to see the 1000Hz motion clarity as well.

Which one is the better out of the 2 Acer v Asus?
Acer doesn't dial firmware very much, nor very well. It's good at putting hardware together. Its monitors are rougher but also cheaper.

OK, but am I naive to think 240Hz OLED can offer better motion clarity then the 360Hz IPS panel?

Get both of them to test them yourself. There are still people naive enough to imagine a 90Hz CRT are smoother than modern displays due to 1µs response time. That's not smoother long time ago.

Unfortunately, just found out newegg returns will incur a 15-30% restocking fee on opened products.

So I can't get both, will lose alot of money testing them out. Also, further more researching, it seems im order to be able to see the best motion clarity in the 360Hz IPS, it will only be achieved if I can maintain around 360fps. Which I think will be impossible even with a RTX 4090 @ 1440p even with lowest details in PUBG. Like I said I already, I struggle to maintain 270fps with todays flagship GPU.

So I need to consider that aswell when chosing between the 240Hz OLED or 360Hz IPS.

As already mentioned, for a competitive aspect, it's better to get a 360Hz monitor. As long as you can maintain 250Hz, the strobe will provide 1000Hz motion clarity.

OLED displays are too dim to support strobing, so they are limited to 240Hz motion and require FPS capping. The advantage of OLED is its ability to display deeper black levels in games. However, this can actually be a disadvantage when something is hiding in the dark and you cannot see it. This is why I prefer the profile on Zowie TN monitors. Some people may say Zowie looks bad because the gamma is set to 1 by default to enhance visibility. That's what eSport images require, to improve visibility. If you set the gamma to 5, then the image returns to normal with deeper black as well.

As already mentioned, for a competitive aspect, it's better to get a 360Hz monitor. As long as you can maintain 250Hz, the strobe will provide 1000Hz motion clarity.

Ok, but enabling the strobing, does that significantly reduce brightness yea?

And do you know if the Acer 360hz 1440p 27" variant just released offers this strobing feature aswell, or is it only on the PA27AQM model?

I don't really want to lower the res to 1080p to get higher fps towards 360hz, because then i could just get a 25" 360hz monitor and save a few 100 bux.

As i am only a few year away from 40 (yes im old), i kind of want to stay atleast around 27" minimum.

If the games you want to play can hit 360fps, then the 360hz panel makes sense; this is due to the addition of GSYNC 2 which improves the motion clarity above the OLED panel. However, this panel loses out as the fps drops as it doesn't support gsync 2 with vrr gsync mode resulting in a tearing mess as the fps drops.

The oled panel you mentioned will be good at all fps levels. It has VRR support GSYNC 1 and will retain good motion clarity with a 100fps source.

Get both of them to test them yourself. There are still people naive enough to imagine a 90Hz CRT are smoother than modern displays due to 1µs response time. That's not smoother long time ago.
I'm one of those people and I've got both OLED at 144hz and Sony GDM 5410 @120hz and yes, the crt is smoother. Not here to convince you; just saying it like it is. 😏

Ok, but enabling the strobing, does that significantly reduce brightness yea?

And do you know if the Acer 360hz 1440p 27" variant just released offers this strobing feature aswell, or is it only on the PA27AQM model?
The lower the pulse width setting, the lower the brightness. I wouldn't set the pulse width below 60 to avoid dropping the brightness below 200nits. Acer's 360Hz monitor also features ULMB2 since it has a G-sync module. However, Acer monitors often have more unique problems since they don't fine-tune them as much. Additionally, there are fewer buyers, so if you encounter problems with an Acer monitor, you're on your own.

There is a misconception that you need to reach 360fps to experience the ULMB2's 1000Hz/fps equivalent motion clarity. With ULMB2, you only need to achieve 250fps but with a 360Hz refresh rate. What people are referring to is reaching 360fps without strobing. These monitors will last, and eventually, your other hardware will catch up to achieve 360fps. By that time, you will also be able to experience ULMB2's 1000+Hz motion clarity

I'm one of those people and I've got both OLED at 144hz and Sony GDM 5410 @120hz and yes, the crt is smoother. Not here to convince you; just saying it like it is.

I believe you as there isn't much difference between 144Hz and 120Hz.

But no matter how fast the response time of a 120Hz CRT is, it won't provide the same level of smoothness as an actual high refresh rate 360Hz monitor. 144Hz is not even competitive.

I believe you as there isn't much difference between 144Hz and 120Hz.

But no matter how fast the response time of a 120Hz CRT is, it won't provide the same level of smoothness as an actual high refresh rate 360Hz monitor. 144Hz is not even competitive.
I'm not going to dispute your claim as I have no experience with a 360hz monitor.

I'm not going to dispute your claim as I have no experience with a 360hz monitor.
It's not a claim or an imagination; it's a fact. Otherwise, people would still be using 60Hz monitors with 1ns response time or whatever CRTs for competitive games to achieve high ranks.

It's not a claim or an imagination; it's a fact. Otherwise, people would still be using 60Hz monitors with 1ns response time or whatever CRTs for competitive games to achieve high ranks.
I didn't say anything beyond what I said, " I won't dispute your claim as I have no experience with a 360hz monitor." I'm not dismissing your claim as imagination. I simply have no experience on the matter.

What would you guys think would be more ideal for competative FPS gaming out of the 2 new Asus beasts:
PG27AQDM 240hz OLED
vs
PG27AQM 360Hz IPS

Both are just about available and nearly the same price in Australia.

My main concern is what would feel better and smoother at a competative point only, not any other category, like image quality does not matter.

I know the 360Hz IPS should be more desirable than 240hz for competative fps due to the higher refresh, but I have heard in the past, that the instant pixel response from OLED makes it feel like a faster panel than what their refresh rate states.

Plus, I think it will be difficult to reach upto 360fps anyways. For example, I currently use a Acer Predator 270Hz IPS monitor, and in PUBG I rarely hit or stay around 270fps even with a RTX 4090 and all settings on low @, 1440p. I more or less hit 180-250fps in PUBG with my rig.

So what would you guys think out of the 2 for my intentions?

The much better contrast and picture quality you get from the OLED is going to be a lot more beneficial than the jump from 240 to 360hz. The higher contrast and perceived resolution will improve your human reaction time.

The higher contrast on the black won't improve visibility. It may create a prettier picture, but it won't help you win. And it's not that much of a prettier picture, especially in SDR eSport titles with low graphics settings.

After playing several rounds of games like Escape from Tarkov or PUBG, you'll only find it harder to see the enemy. Additionally, OLED can have more crushed blacks when night scene drops below 10nits, which makes visibility even worse.

This is why eSport monitors have a black stabilizer feature to lift the black level and increase visibility instead.

Well I think the deal breaker here for me is the OLED brightness at large window sizes. I think the PG27AQDM drops to 230 nits at around 60%+ window.

Since pubg is a bright game in most areas, I dropped my current Acer 240Hz monitor to 50% brightness to try and emulate what I might see with the PA27AQDM OLED in terms of brightness, and it is far to dimm for my liking. It makes me need to concentrate considerably more to see the enemy, so in that sense it is going to make me worse competatively. I may be able to adjust my natural senses to it, but for the initial testing at lower brightness, it was not desireable for me. So now I am leaning again more towards the 360Hz IPS Acer or Asus, since they both maintain over 400 nits at large window sizes in SDR.

If that youtube ideo doesnt help then no opinions here will because I doubt people own both. Bottom line is everyones eyes like different things so you are gonna have to pick and then report back your opinion cause these are the two Im interested in too.

I dont know, its so hard lol

I have gone through about $10K AUD worth of monitors in the past 2.5 years. I cant keep justifying purchasing them so thats I why i am being so difficult in making a decision lol

I know i will never have the best of the best in each of the monitor attributes, so i guess i will just have to bite the bullet and get one if i want one of them

If you want to be purely competitive but have a crappy picture, get the Asus. The PG27AQN has better performance and even supports ULMB 2.0, which makes motion clarity match even CRTs. The tradeoff is that you'll have a worse picture because LCDs still suck and always will. It's a performance display first and foremost.
If you play a variety of games and want the best possible picture without compromising much on performance, get the OLED. If you think that 240hz is enough for whatever you play and still want real black levels, HDR that actually works and superior viewing angles, then get the PG27AQDM.

Well I think the deal breaker here for me is the OLED brightness at large window sizes. I think the PG27AQDM drops to 230 nits at around 60%+ window.

Since pubg is a bright game in most areas, I dropped my current Acer 240Hz monitor to 50% brightness to try and emulate what I might see with the PA27AQDM OLED in terms of brightness, and it is far to dimm for my liking. It makes me need to concentrate considerably more to see the enemy, so in that sense it is going to make me worse competatively. I may be able to adjust my natural senses to it, but for the initial testing at lower brightness, it was not desireable for me. So now I am leaning again more towards the 360Hz IPS Acer or Asus, since they both maintain over 400 nits at large window sizes in SDR.

The problem is you're trying to emulate an OLED with an LCD. The contrast on LCDs are garbage by comparison. Contrast is the biggest factor in image quality. It makes enemies stand out much more.

The problem is you're trying to emulate an OLED with an LCD. The contrast on LCDs are garbage by comparison. Contrast is the biggest factor in image quality. It makes enemies stand out much more.
No no no, i was not trying to emulate oled contrast, please check my comment again. I was trying to emulate max OLED luminance, by reducing my current monitors maximum Brightness, by lowering down to say 50.

Max luminence of my current IPS monitor is around 440 nits, so I put brightness to about 50-60%, and that should give me roughly 220-260 nits, pretty much what the OLED 27" max luminence on large window size will be.

And then I made an assessment, that is incredibly dimm for a competitive stand point, becausd as mentioned, I had to input considerably more focus whilst playing games because the screen was so dimm to me. I think I am going to need atleast 350-380 nits in large window size for my ageing eyes.

250 nits should be more than enough unless there's a lot of external light in the room, like brighter than a typical LED lit office building.

No no no, i was not trying to emulate oled contrast, please check my comment again. I was trying to emulate max OLED luminance, by reducing my current monitors maximum Brightness, by lowering down to say 50.

Max luminence of my current IPS monitor is around 440 nits, so I put brightness to about 50-60%, and that should give me roughly 220-260 nits, pretty much what the OLED 27" max luminence on large window size will be.

And then I made an assessment, that is incredibly dimm for a competitive stand point, becausd as mentioned, I had to input considerably more focus whilst playing games because the screen was so dimm to me. I think I am going to need atleast 350-380 nits in large window size for my ageing eyes.

You have pretty much found the answer yourself. Since you play in a brightly lit room, you will need a brighter monitor for such ambient lighting conditions. Get the 360Hz IPS.

The advantage you get with the 360hz LCD is basicly for some of the top percenter of high level competitive players. Not even all of them would bother going for the advantage it presents, real as it may be.

So with that said, I would go with the OLED. As it is going to give you a good enough image to be competitive and look worlds better in every other scenario.

Just saying sometimes even 400nits glowing outline is not enough in a dim room for competitive shooters. These are not typical 80nits sRGB office images. These are high contrast images as well.

250nits straight up gives up half the visibility.

Lowing your brightness to half does not simulate a monitor that has half the peak max window brightness. It lowers your overall brightness. It's way different.
And you're completely missing the OLED contrast difference which is the most impactful.

Lowing your brightness to half does not simulate a monitor that has half the peak max window brightness. It lowers your overall brightness. It's way different.
And you're completely missing the OLED contrast difference which is the most impactful.
Spread misinformation again. 400nits vs 0.1nits background has more contrast than 250nits vs 0.1nits.

Back