PFSense Tuning

devin_m

Limp Gawd
I just got a Celestix MSA 2000i and installed PFSense on it but I'm getting really poor throughput, wireless 23mbps/wired 24mbps-ish on a 100mbps connection. This is my first time running PFSense does anyone know what could be holding me back. The specs are as follows:
Intel Celeron 3.06GHz
4GB Memory (Bios sees ~3GB)
80GB Intel X25-M SSD
6x Intel 1000 NICs

Anything funky in Status->>> System logs?

Plug directly into a LAN port and run a test.

Thats a pretty decent system. It should easily handle 100mb connection. Throughput is tied directly to CPU speed. Is there anything else using the CPU? Whats its usage on the dashboard when idle?

When I looked I didn't see anything odd in the system logs, I'll check tonight when I get home.
The CPU Idles at 0% the system is a dedicated box, I may replace the CPU with a Core 2 Duo E8600.

I seriously doubt it is the CPU. Maybe check the NICs against pfSense hardware list. Is this a vanilla install, or do you have custom routes/security/modifications?

Use something like jPerf or iperf to throw 1gbps at it. Check the graphs and such in pfSense to see what is actually being taken in by it. From there, start looking to see what is spiking, CPU usage, etc...

There is just no way this is normal. My Fireboxes with 1.4GHz PIIIs and 6x 10/100 Realteks can push 90/90 like no big deal.

Do a fresh install/config if you can. Maybe something went wonky.

When I looked I didn't see anything odd in the system logs, I'll check tonight when I get home.
The CPU Idles at 0% the system is a dedicated box, I may replace the CPU with a Core 2 Duo E8600.

Ok, have you checked what the CPU utilization is under load? I was able to push 25-30mbps un a P3-800Mhz with good Intel NICs before I virtualized my pfSense box.

Could it be an issue with the fact that it asked if I wanted to use an SMP kernal at install and I said yes even though I am only using a single core/thread CPU? I did it for the future.

That's probably it if this hardware works fine for everyone else.

it has 6 x intel gbit nic's. I ran Untangle on it and was getting my stead 44+ download..

Nevermind I guess there was an issue with my connection because now I'm hitting 75/5 wireless. Presumably I can get closer to my advertised speed wired, I'll have to try later.
I tried to go direct to my modem earlier but my laptop wouldn't pull an IP sometimes my modem is picky like that.

**Edit**
Oh yeah running 75mbps through it the cpu is at 1% and the memory 6%.

Last edited:
Nevermind I guess there was an issue with my connection because now I'm hitting 75/5 wireless. Presumably I can get closer to my advertised speed wired, I'll have to try later.
I tried to go direct to my modem earlier but my laptop wouldn't pull an IP sometimes my modem is picky like that.

**Edit**
Oh yeah running 75mbps through it the cpu is at 1% and the memory 6%.

WOOT WOOT!

How you liking the unit ? Are you going to play with getting the lcd to work ? I have a CRAP load of pictures if you want them to start that adventure :)

WOOT WOOT!

How you liking the unit ? Are you going to play with getting the lcd to work ? I have a CRAP load of pictures if you want them to start that adventure :)

I love it, it is worth every penny! I would like to get the LCD at some point.
I don't see myself needing a new router for a long time.
There are some slots that I might look into on it, it looks like I can add a built in wireless card or something, it choked when I put the E8600 in it but not big deal.

I love it, it is worth every penny! I would like to get the LCD at some point.
I don't see myself needing a new router for a long time.
There are some slots that I might look into on it, it looks like I can add a built in wireless card or something, it choked when I put the E8600 in it but not big deal.

I prefer using a Wireless AP instead of using a wireless card. No hassle dealing with wireless drivers and usually the router is not in the ideal location for the wireless ap for coverage.

Back