PFSense hardware recommendations (newb)

thekamikazepr

Limp Gawd
Hello.

I'm new to PFsense and this subforum.

Im trying to build a sub $200 PF sense system strong enough to support Snort.

I heard a celeron J1800 has enough power but most systems mitx that i have found use Realtek which I have heard is not compatible with PFSense
example:
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...135393&cm_re=ecs_j1800-_-13-135-393-_-Product)

In order to counter that I have been recommended something like this aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-Barebone-Mini-PC-with/800900_1638834276.html

but I would personally preffer something ship from here.

I have seen people in the forum (here) mention a intel NUC but most with my requirements surpass the budget.

Alix (some recommendations) do not seem strong enough.

I have also looked at Foxxconn and Zotac mini pc barebones (no idea if these work).

Do you guys have any recommendations?
I preffer sd card as storage but I'm open to opinions.

Note I'm not an expert at these jsut barely try to install it on my old laptop but was unable to due to hw not being compatible.

An old server with dual Intel NICs may be your best bang for your buck or run it in a VM to try it out. If you use an SD card make sure you use the correct version of pfsense so it does not constantly use the card.

the celeron J1800 only has one NIC port. Not sure how you plan to do the setup unless you use VLAN tagging or buy additional NIC addon card

Last edited:
An old server with dual Intel NICs may be your best bang for your buck or run it in a VM to try it out. If you use an SD card make sure you use the correct version of pfsense so it does not constantly use the card.

Currently using an old laptop with vlans like you mention for setup.

The thing is I need to replace my old camera monitoring server so I might just invest in something that runs pfsense while since at the end of the profeCT development face I will keep the hw.

Now my question is do I need dual rj45 only for setup or always
aka if I'm planning to use it as a router (wireless router). Can I do 1 wired 1 wireles nic?

***David***
I've been running this board for most of this year with pfsense as a router and it has done just fine for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MS9OI2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will I be able to use SD cards in that embedded system or I need to get a cheap ssd/hdd?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
***David***

Will I be able to use SD cards in that embedded system or I need to get a cheap ssd/hdd?

I have a 16GB SSD in it, so that's how I solved the OS issue. I do not believe there are SD headers on the board, so you'd need some form of usb header -> card or mini-PCIe to card type of adapter to make it work.

That's what I tough wanted to make sure since amazon and new eggs description are very vague at times.

i have the mini fanless pc, same thing but i bought it in china, not from aliexpress, mine has been running pfsense for at least a year, i dont use the msata or the wireless just the two nics and an old laptop harddrive, the nics are realtek, but i have it running with snort, unbound and squid, and so far unless the power goes out it never has a single problem. oh it has 4gb of ram and is on a 100/10 connection never skips a beat.

Theres a more industrial version with dual intel nics and a 1037u too. I know one of the original guys that started putting this ones around in china, but so far they say the demand for an updated dual nic model hasn't been that big. My friend has the 4600u one pretty nice for and HTPC but sadly no dual nics.

Back