pfSense, freeNAS, ZyXEL GS1910-24 switch, network discovery

smesx

n00b
So I recently picked up a ZyXEL GS1910-24 managed switch from Newegg during a sale for $157, I figured great deal and would allow me to do some cool things in the future. Its running behind a pfSense Atom box as my router/firewall.

Before I had the switch (cheap unmanaged switch) windows network discovery in Win7 and 8.1 both worked fine and see the freeNAS CIFS share.

As soon as I replaced that with the ZyXEL the freeNAS CIFS share does not show up in network discovery but does if I go to \\freeNAS. Other win7/8.1 computers are still visible in network discovery.

Switching back to the old switch it shows back up in network discovery right away.

Any idea on what is going on here or some settings I can use? While I can just map a network drive I need network discovery for certain programs to see the server.

Try turning off filtering on the switch and see if that helps?
//Danne

You didn't update to 9.2.1.8 around the same time did you? Some of the netbios stuff in samba got broken.

No i was on 9.2. I just updated to 9.2.1.8 this morning hoping it would fix it. No dice.

As far as I can tell filtering is turned off on the switch, there is a lot going on with that switch though, I don't exactly know what everything is in its config.

Well, while working on a completely unrelated thing, resetting my DirecTV whole home DVR, I did a hard reset on my two DVRs. BAM! FreeNAS pops up in network discovery. Seems to be all good now, hoping that was it and its not a strange coincidence. Weird.

Back