Perpetuum Online (Eve Online + Mechwarrior = Perpetuum)

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
Surprised no one has mentioned this new MMO. It just launched on the 25th of November.

From the game description: persistent, unsharded game world (one giant server; not several servers), fully customizable mechs and robots with hundreds of equipment items, open-world PvP and missions, player-controlled economy, extensive crafting and industry, dynamically changing environment.

More info here: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Features

launch trailer here: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Media:Videos

I'm tempted to give this one a go.

Nobody wants to pay $10 a month to play with 4 people. Charging a monthly sub on some indie MMO is a really really stupid idea.

Nobody wants to pay $10 a month to play with 4 people. Charging a monthly sub on some indie MMO is a really really stupid idea.

On the one hand i agree with you. On the other, it takes money to run an MMO. Hell, server costs and internet fees alone add up. Especially at the beginning when your player base is small.

I think this is the primary reason new MMO's fail so often. They aren't ready for prime time when released, and people stop playing and then there's no money, MMO fails.

I think i will go and take a look at the website at least.

On the one hand i agree with you. On the other, it takes money to run an MMO. Hell, server costs and internet fees alone add up. Especially at the beginning when your player base is small.

I think this is the primary reason new MMO's fail so often. They aren't ready for prime time when released, and people stop playing and then there's no money, MMO fails.

I think i will go and take a look at the website at least.

Not saying it should be completely free, the f2p model has been very successful for low budget games whereas the subscription model has been death to any MMO thats not a AAA title.

was this the game with an interface that looks identical to Eve? I remember seeing a screenshot of some mech game with menus that looked like they came right out of Eve but it was in some eastern european language that I can't read

Not saying it should be completely free, the f2p model has been very successful for low budget games whereas the subscription model has been death to any MMO thats not a AAA title.

Subscription has been death to MMO's that are GARBAGE. You don't have to be AAA to be successful, you do have to put out something that isn't a piece of complete trash tho.

F2P is the fastest way to identify what game studios to avoid. Cryptic being #1.

I have been in the beta and the game is terrible, just terrible. When I saw that they are releasing it as subscription based game I was like WTF.

World of Tanks has issues and it's not an MMO yet (though they are working on persistence) but at least it has like 500k accounts in live RU servers and closed beta US/EU server and on the closed beta there are 8-9k players online at any given time which makes for good potential once it goes MMO.

Perpetuum max concurrent user load was less than 600 (as admitted by them on their front page nonetheless!). Stay away from this thing.

this game looks cool any one played it since lunch? i might have to try it its only $10

I have been playing the game for several weeks now. My thoughts:

If you don't like Eve, you will not like this game.
Essentially, you get 1 EP (like an SP in Eve) every minute your account is active. All EP are account wide, and not character limited.
Perpetuum does not have learning skills for anything like that.
You can become viable in pvp (currently atleast) as soon as you get a light bot (after 10 tutorial missions, 2 hours or so the first time thru)

You can become very viable in pvp within 2 weeks.

The game just officially launched on the 25th of November, and has around 500 or 600 players on during peak times.

Territory control is in the game.

The combat is very similar to Eve, with the addition of terrain and Line of Sight mechanics.

movement however is more like an FPS, utilizing WASD controls. No autopilot here.

The world consists of large islands, with teleports between the major islands. The entire world is a single persistent server.

I am currently in a very powerful and the only dedicated pirate corp in the game, M2S. We are all the most deadly agents (name for players) in the game. We dominate the entire killboard.

If you ever liked Eve, but wanted to start a game on the ground floor, in the beginning with a relatively even playing field, now is the time.

My name is Ragnarth in game, you can send me a message if any of you are interested.

Also, you can check out

http://menacetoperpetuum.com/index.php#c3

The game is only $10 a month, with no box purchase.

If you like sandbox pvp games in the vain of Eve Online, I recommend you try it.

Link to the main site: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

Subscription has been death to MMO's that are GARBAGE. You don't have to be AAA to be successful, you do have to put out something that isn't a piece of complete trash tho.

F2P is the fastest way to identify what game studios to avoid. Cryptic being #1.

Name one single MMO that was not a multi million $$$ AAA title with a sub that has a community even worth mentioning...

What F2P MMOs does cryptic have?

Guessing upon "death" you start from scratch, right?

Also, how's targeting implemented in the game? Is it aim based like an FPS, or is it sticky targeting like in WoW, where you click on a player and you're locked on?

Name one single MMO that was not a multi million $$$ AAA title with a sub that has a community even worth mentioning...

Well, EvE started that way. It started with a few hundred/thousand subscribers.

It's built itself, over time, to a multi-million title. But it sure didn't start that way.

I haven't played this yet, however as I am an oldschool B-Tech nerd, when I get some time, I'm trying it out.

EvE (and I assume Perpetuum) aren't WoW-clone easy MMO's, they are pretty brutal hard PVP sandboxes. Death penalties aren't like most MMO's, your crap is blown up, and there is almost no chance you are getting ANY of it back.

IF Perpetuum ends up like EvE, it will have a almost completely player driven economy, and be mostly focused on PVP at scales that just don't exist anywhere else on earth. (E.G. in EvE I've been in fleet fights containing OVER 1000 players at the same time, in comparison, most WoW server's don't have much more then that online at any one time, let alone in a single zone, and able to fight each other (if a bit laggy) EvE, and possibly Perpetuum, are radically different types of games to your everyday WoW-esque MMO)

Guessing upon "death" you start from scratch, right?

Also, how's targeting implemented in the game? Is it aim based like an FPS, or is it sticky targeting like in WoW, where you click on a player and you're locked on?

Well, you never lose your skills or money, nor things in your storage hanger. If you die, you respawn at your set homebase, in a starter bot.

Also, the combat is done like Eve. Its more simulation like. Has nothing in common with WoW. You acquire a lock on a target, then you engage your weapons on it using your firing and targeting computers.

Certain items equipped to your bot / mech have an effect on these things, such as sensor amps, ect. Weapons have a firing time, range, ect.

Its sort of like naval / tank combat, not infantry / foot soldier style FPS type.

It's built itself, over time, to a multi-million title. But it sure didn't start that way.

I haven't played this yet, however as I am an oldschool B-Tech nerd, when I get some time, I'm trying it out.

EvE (and I assume Perpetuum) aren't WoW-clone easy MMO's, they are pretty brutal hard PVP sandboxes. Death penalties aren't like most MMO's, your crap is blown up, and there is almost no chance you are getting ANY of it back.

IF Perpetuum ends up like EvE, it will have a almost completely player driven economy, and be mostly focused on PVP at scales that just don't exist anywhere else on earth. (E.G. in EvE I've been in fleet fights containing OVER 1000 players at the same time, in comparison, most WoW server's don't have much more then that online at any one time, let alone in a single zone, and able to fight each other (if a bit laggy) EvE, and possibly Perpetuum, are radically different types of games to your everyday WoW-esque MMO)

Earlier today there was a battle for an outpost with somewhere around 100 players, not a single bit of lag.

Also, EVE style political drama has already started occuring.

This is just like the early days of Eve, albeit with a more streamlined skill system.

The economy is nearly all player based, but currently the dev team has seeded certain items in order to speed along the economy. (Light bots can be purchased at the starter stations, and they are of infinite quantity.)

Most pvp is being done in Light bots at the moment, which is easy to get your first couple hours playing.

Eve was not some small indie title with no money into it. It was a multi million dollar big name project that was highly anticipated and very talked about. I dont know if you remember but there was quite a bit of hype around eve.

I liked eve and its large scale but it only feels populated because its a single server. They only have a few hundred thousand subscribers.

Eve was not some small indie title with no money into it. It was a multi million dollar big name project that was highly anticipated and very talked about. I dont know if you remember but there was quite a bit of hype around eve.

I liked eve and its large scale but it only feels populated because its a single server. They only have a few hundred thousand subscribers.

At times they have had over 40k players online at the same time. How many more would you want?

ok i caved in and bought the game and so far its not bad at all, i just got my mk2 mech and i made that thing a speed demon i got it up to 76(mph?) by striping its armor and weapons. so far it seems a lot like eve you can add parts to you bot think make it go faster tank do more dps just like eve, the combat seams good so far its more fast placed then eve you move whit the keyboard vs just clicking on things in eve.The skills system is a lot liek eve but better so far i think where you don't have to log in to train you gets x points a day that you can use on all your agents no need for 2 accounts. As for pop theirs like 400 in the in game chat right now. Now do i think it will get old like ever other mmorpg i ever played yes but at $10 if it only last me a month before that happens that worth it to me, and btw theirs a 4 day Trial for like $2 so if you bored and like eve or mech game why not try it, its better then i thought it was going to be

Again like i said it seems super populated because its one server.

Again, its still 40,000 PLAYERS ONLINE at the same time.

WoW, which I think is a great game too, never has that many players on a single server.

You can't really say "it seems super populated" when in reality..."it is super populated!"

I'm not really sure what the point is in arguing it.

Regardless, there are plenty of people to play with in either case.

Again like i said it seems super populated because its one server.

And 40,000 people on at once is incredibly populated considering it's an overcrowded market (MMOs) in an under-appreciated genre (Sci-Fi Flight) with a massive learning curve, and the last time I played it, a relatively clunky interface. 90% of the people I know who tried it didn't make it past a couple weeks.

I think EVE is doing PHENOMENALLY well for what it is - it's carved out it's niche and it's filling it nicely.

Edit: This looks faster paced than Eve with one less axis to worry about. It might catch on. :)

Last edited:
Again, its still 40,000 PLAYERS ONLINE at the same time.

WoW, which I think is a great game too, never has that many players on a single server.

You can't really say "it seems super populated" when in reality..."it is super populated!"

I'm not really sure what the point is in arguing it.

Regardless, there are plenty of people to play with in either case.

I dont get why you keep comparing the population to a single WoW server?

And 40,000 people on at once is incredibly populated considering it's an overcrowded market (MMOs) in an under-appreciated genre (Sci-Fi Flight) with a massive learning curve, and the last time I played it, a relatively clunky interface. 90% of the people I know who tried it didn't make it past a couple weeks.

I think EVE is doing PHENOMENALLY well for what it is - it's carved out it's niche and it's filling it nicely.

Edit: This looks faster paced than Eve with one less axis to worry about. It might catch on. :)

I agree EVE has carved a nice niche and isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I was just pointing out the difference between EVE and this game charging. By comparison even in its early days EVE is a massive title compared to this. Trying to say EVE was like a cheap indie release is pretty ridiculous.

Champions Online is in F2P beta right now. Going live Q1 2011. Star Trek Online expected to follow soon after.

But Jack brings up a point in that article. Although he doesn't say it, "core gamers" make up for about 10% of the MMO community now. People raised on wow, which there are millions, are all going to compare games against wow. That makes sense. I started with Anarchy Online back in the day and I still compare all mmo's i play to that. I guess you go with what you start with. Anyway, people raised on wow will think "am i getting as much for my 15 dollars a month as I got(or get) with wow?". Like it or not, thats the question that will go through millions of mmo gamers minds from now on. That being the case, hes right, unless you have the kind of cash it takes to have the time and talent to generate a AAAA title, you should probably look at free to play.

Although I have to disagree with the sentimate that F2P is the death of an mmo. It's served Funcom and Turbine pretty well. A lot of people don't give funcom credit, but i think they really pioneered the best way to do a free to play mmo.

Champions Online is in F2P beta right now. Going live Q1 2011. Star Trek Online expected to follow soon after.

But Jack brings up a point in that article. Although he doesn't say it, "core gamers" make up for about 10% of the MMO community now. People raised on wow, which there are millions, are all going to compare games against wow. That makes sense. I started with Anarchy Online back in the day and I still compare all mmo's i play to that. I guess you go with what you start with. Anyway, people raised on wow will think "am i getting as much for my 15 dollars a month as I got(or get) with wow?". Like it or not, thats the question that will go through millions of mmo gamers minds from now on. That being the case, hes right, unless you have the kind of cash it takes to have the time and talent to generate a AAAA title, you should probably look at free to play.

Although I have to disagree with the sentimate that F2P is the death of an mmo. It's served Funcom and Turbine pretty well. A lot of people don't give funcom credit, but i think they really pioneered the best way to do a free to play mmo.

Dunno about funcom but Turbine has hit the nail right on the head. Being able to earn the currency in game makes a massive difference compared to the 800 generic korean style F2P MMOs.

Right now games like DDO, LOTRO and Free realms are kicking the shit out of all the subscription competition besides WoW.

I have to agree with Jack Emerett's sentimates on the topic

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-02-wow-sucked-oxygen-from-mmo-subs

This is exactly it.
People are already paying for an MMO subscription, they are paying for XBL or PSN, and probably Netflix and who knows what else as a fix entertainment expense. Adding $10/month for a no-name published MMO that was hacked up by some dudes in some basement where they copied a lot of the design elements from a different (niche) game isn't going to happen.

I have played it in beta, and I could certainly afford to pay for it, except that I don't think it's worth it to me. There are too many other good options to primarily spend my time but also my money on.

Right now games like DDO, LOTRO and Free realms are kicking the shit out of all the subscription competition besides WoW.
Really? Cite your source?

What about Fallen Earth, that postapocalypitc MMO?

It had nice ratings but things that needed fixing from launch, and It has only gotten better with time I suppose. Not larger though, there's not even EU servers.

Its not a pretty game, but Id still buy it for the cool crafting and mature audience. I even think they have decided to never go F2P (because their demographic would stop playing, I saw some comments while browsing the forum)

The difference is that EVE started in 2003. I was there for that, my first character was created on Oct 28 2003 two days after the game hit the shelves iirc. EVE sucked at launch, no tutorial, no idea what to do, it basically took visionaries to see the potential of the game based on the very few details that were available to players at that time.

Fast forward 7 years and generally speaking the playerbase is a lot less willing to put up with mediocrity, which is why basically 8 out of 10 MMOs launched since were total fail.

Really? Cite your source?

What source do you want? They are 3 of the most successful MMOs on the market all ditched the failing subscription model. Free realms alone is second only to wow in terms of population...

im really liking this game, i just stated messing whit the building stuff part of the game and im liking how you can reverse engineer things to get blueprints for making them and how you can take kernels form bots killed and learn how to prototype new stuff form them. So far its like eve but faster placed and a new world where every one is learning still

What about Fallen Earth, that postapocalypitc MMO?

It had nice ratings but things that needed fixing from launch, and It has only gotten better with time I suppose. Not larger though, there's not even EU servers.

Its not a pretty game, but Id still buy it for the cool crafting and mature audience. I even think they have decided to never go F2P (because their demographic would stop playing, I saw some comments while browsing the forum)

Hmmm, fallen earth is still alive? I looked into it way back, because i like the post apocalyptic setting. Might have to look into it again (once i get my fill of cataclysm). What kind of population do they have, if you don't mind my asking?

I think the point of the "yeah that's a lot of people but only on one server" argument is if you don't like the community on that server you're screwed since there isn't another option.

In games with more, lower-population, servers each server often has a different feel to it.

Why are we comparing a brand new game's population (made by a small group of people) to a game that's been out over 7 years by a larger company?

Does anyone actually KNOW anything about Perpetuum? I'm more curious about the game, not whether or not it'll have 40k players on a server any time soon.

On a side note I'm having trouble finding out whether PvP is full loot, or 50% chance to drop loot. Either one is fine by me.

Thanks OP.

Sub'd for a month, if I dig it I'll probably re-up for sure.

Playing as Cantonious.

A new game mixing ideas from other games is a win in my book. Does anyone really want to be stuck with the same dozen or so franchises forever from bigger companies? Looks like the game could be very fun, hope it does well and any problems are fixed asap.

What source do you want? They are 3 of the most successful MMOs on the market all ditched the failing subscription model. Free realms alone is second only to wow in terms of population...
Isn't it more like the 3 biggest MMOs all failed and went F2P as last ditch effort to not close the doors?

Sources as in some reliable info on how many people actually play the game.

to any one trying this out my in game name is thax so shoot me a ingame mail and mabay we can get some kind of [H] corp like we had back in the old days on eve.

Isn't it more like the 3 biggest MMOs all failed and went F2P as last ditch effort to not close the doors?

Sources as in some reliable info on how many people actually play the game.

DDO failed as a sub model and went F2P, LoTRO was successful and made the change to make more money and free realms started as F2P.

Free realms had over a million players 2 weeks after launching. You want a source you can google.

The whole sub model as a whole is slowly but surely being phased out because of the financial success of the F2P model.

Is the gameplay controls alot like an FPS, where you move with keyboard AND mouse? Is it more like a console control where you'd use an XBOX or PS controller?

One thing that I wanted to do in EVE was actually pilot a ship. Joystick, throttle stick...foot pedals?...but the targetting mechanism and my inability to get a lock on ships cause I suck at clicking made PVP super tough, as I was always 2 to 3 seconds behind my adversary in trying to get actions to complete. So unless I had a super huge advantage, I was always out manuvered by skilled players.

This looks like it has the opportunity to simplify controls and bring the old school Mechwarrior control mechanisms back into play...maybe?

DDO failed as a sub model and went F2P, LoTRO was successful and made the change to make more money and free realms started as F2P.

Free realms had over a million players 2 weeks after launching. You want a source you can google.

The whole sub model as a whole is slowly but surely being phased out because of the financial success of the F2P model.

So I had a look and there are some indications of early success, too early to tell where they will be 6 months or a year from now. However, both DDO and LOTRO have huge name recognition and are multi-billion dollar out-of-game franchises, which can't really be said about PerTedium Online.

Last edited:
Back