Performance where to go from here?

Current:
AMD X4 O/C 4.2 GHz
GTX275
16 GB of DDR3 settings 8-8-8 25 5-34-9-5 2T 1.5V
MSI 790FX-GD70 (MS-7577)

I do a lot of video and picture processing, some games. What would you advise for a considerable jump in speed?

Allegiance to AMD? FX-8350 and 990FX mobo.

Intel is probably a little faster so I'd grab a 6 core for the extra power for rendering. i7-3970X

If you want to stay with AMD again the 8350 is their best offering if you don't mind the power draw while encoding.

If you live near a Microcenter their combo deals on the 3570k/3770k deals are hard to beat in terms of performance for the price.

^ He made a new thread asking a similar question, and I once again will agree with what has already been posted.

You both are in a similar position in that you both need a new mobo to upgrade anyway. That being the case, unless you really want to stick with AMD for some reason, an intel SB/IB setup is gonna be the best choice.

The FX-8350 will be able to match the 3770k for what he's doing, and will outright beat the 3570k. If he is on a limited budget, the FX-8350 might be the better choice.

The FX-8350 will be able to match the 3770k for what he's doing, and will outright beat the 3570k. If he is on a limited budget, the FX-8350 might be the better choice.

Yes, that why I think the Intel 6 core will give him a nice boost over the FX-8350. Buying the 3570K or 3770K is just spending extra money for not a lot of improvement if rendering is the main focus of the build like you said. If he's not going to spend at least 6 core Intel money then the FX-8350 is definitely the way to go in this case.

I'll give you that 3570K is probably not a wise choice, but I can't agree that 3770K isn't.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

The 2 are damn close, and the only times FX really pulls ahead is x264 2nd pass, and it isn't by much at all, and in POV-Ray, which is a pretty large gap I guess, but I dunno. Considering that the 3770K is better in almost every other metric, it is the recommendation I would make.

I just have a hard time objectively recommending FX to anyone that doesn't either already have a 990FX board, or will only be using it for the few things the arch is actually better at. FX may be competitive in MT rendering (and in some other MT tasks undeniably superior), but I don't know that it is enough to make up for it's other shortcomings, for a new build.

This is a situation where I certainly wouldn't say 8350 would be a bad choice, but I do think 3770K would be the better one.

Back