Performance loss gaming on a 2.4ghz 12-core Xeon vs a ~4.4ghz 5820k?

fs454

n00b
I'm trying to figure out what the net gain would be here, or better yet what kind of performance I'm missing out on at 2.4-2.8ghz on my Xeon E5-2676 compared to what I almost bought, which was a 5820k or 5960x. Honestly, I've been running games beautifully at 4K on the 980 Ti such as BF4, Battlefront, Fallout 4, etc. The Witcher 3 struggles a tad but I'm curious whether an overclocked 5820k would alleviate this noticeably or not.

I haven't found a good way to find info relating to the performance delta regarding lower clocked Xeon Haswell cores vs high clocked Haswell cores. I'm still in the process of installing OS X and testing out my video editing workflow with the Xeon and the 980 Ti so I can't yet say how well the extra six cores benefit me, but knowing if this is a ~5fps difference or a ~20fps difference will for sure help the overall decision.

Thanks!

honestly, for gaming, a fast quad core will be better than a medium speed uh.... whatever you call a twelve core. Just because GPUs are the bottleneck once you are getting into super high resolutions. Neither a 5820k, e5 2676, or 4970k will be running at 100% cpu in a game, therefore the cores arent counting as much as raw clock speed and calculations/sec.

Quite a bit I would imagine. You are talking about the V1 I'm assuming which is behind the IPC department by maybe 25%+ now and you are running @ 40% less speed.

His signature shows that it is a V3....

EDIT: I'll load up DSR and do a check on the Witcher 3 at 4K. Even at 1080P I'm dropping down to 60 FPS sometimes with my setup (in signature). Do you completely max out settings? (I do)

EDIT 2: Hmm, DSR seems to be broken right now. I get a very large rendering of the upper left corner when I switch to 4K. I may need to restart my PC...Yet I can't right now since I am copying over 6TB of data over my home network.

EDIT 3: Yeah, after looking through benchmarks 4K in the Witcher 3 is just going to have not so great FPS on a single 980 Ti even when lowering hairworks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIDzBazf4E He's using a 5960X for comparison, settings in the description.

EDIT 4: Here is a 5820K with a 980 Ti at 4K max settings, they show the settings and then run about a bit. Hairworks on and off tested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9Pct5v3JY

Last edited:
honestly, for gaming, a fast quad core will be better than a medium speed uh.... whatever you call a twelve core. Just because GPUs are the bottleneck once you are getting into super high resolutions. Neither a 5820k, e5 2676, or 4970k will be running at 100% cpu in a game, therefore the cores arent counting as much as raw clock speed and calculations/sec.

Yeah I do understand that and almost went for a 5820K (after not wanting to spend a grand on the 5960x considering its age at this point), but since at least half of the use case of this computer is going to be heavy video editing (oftentimes with 4K source footage), after effects, and some Cinema4D, I thought the Xeon was the sensible choice with a multithreaded workload in mind, provided it doesn't affect my gaming performance too much. And everything does run near perfectly right now, so this is merely trying to discover how big or small the gap is.

His signature shows that it is a V3....

EDIT: I'll load up DSR and do a check on the Witcher 3 at 4K. Even at 1080P I'm dropping down to 60 FPS sometimes with my setup (in signature). Do you completely max out settings? (I do)

EDIT 2: Hmm, DSR seems to be broken right now. I get a very large rendering of the upper left corner when I switch to 4K. I may need to restart my PC...Yet I can't right now since I am copying over 6TB of data over my home network.

EDIT 3: Yeah, after looking through benchmarks 4K in the Witcher 3 is just going to have not so great FPS on a single 980 Ti even when lowering hairworks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIDzBazf4E He's using a 5960X for comparison, settings in the description.

EDIT 4: Here is a 5820K with a 980 Ti at 4K max settings, they show the settings and then run about a bit. Hairworks on and off tested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9Pct5v3JY

I'll have to try tomorrow and compare my results to the 5820k/980Ti @ 4K video. That should give me somewhat of an idea. And yes, it's a V3. Running DDR4 RAM and all that - It's a current gen CPU.

You're basically gaming on the equivalent of an AMD rig at that clock speed when you take IPC into account. You won't get top notch performance but you shouldn't even notice any issue unless you got specifically looking for one.

I'll have to try tomorrow and compare my results to the 5820k/980Ti @ 4K video. That should give me somewhat of an idea. And yes, it's a V3. Running DDR4 RAM and all that - It's a current gen CPU.

If its a V3 then you should be groovy.

I forgot to throw in the numbers. They both are roughly 35 to 36 fps, with hair works off, most of the time out in the countryside. With it on they got 29 to 30 fps. FWIW, that's what I saw when watching the videos.

Not exactly what I call playable, but everyone has their own thresholds.

I forgot to throw in the numbers. They both are roughly 35 to 36 fps, with hair works off, most of the time out in the countryside. With it on they got 29 to 30 fps. FWIW, that's what I saw when watching the videos.

Not exactly what I call playable, but everyone has their own thresholds.

I don't have an issue with third person RPG-style stuff running at ~35fps, especially story-driven stuff that can be cinematic, but for anything FPS or remotely competitive obviously the desire is to be muuuuch higher than that.

As soon as I can both test video editing / encoding in OS X and this I'll have a better idea and will report back here. Great thing about X99 is the upcoming next generation of chips that will still be on this socket and chipset, which means both enthusiast i7s and a motherload of new Xeons on top of what's already available. Should be a fun few years with this build.

Is there no way to over clock the xeons on x99 boards? whats the deal with that?

E5 16XX V3s (and for X79 V1 and V2's) can all be multiplier overclocked. At least, all the 6+ core CPUs can - supposedly some 4 core CPUs are locked (and can still be BCLK overclocked, so there's that).

Even if you get a 26XX version, you can BCLK overclock them - not as much as an unlocked multiplier one, but still you can.

That's the deal mang. Get it on, bang a gong, get it on!

E5 16XX V3s (and for X79 V1 and V2's) can all be multiplier overclocked. At least, all the 6+ core CPUs can - supposedly some 4 core CPUs are locked (and can still be BCLK overclocked, so there's that).

Even if you get a 26XX version, you can BCLK overclock them - not as much as an unlocked multiplier one, but still you can.

That's the deal mang. Get it on, bang a gong, get it on!

SKL Xeons should change the BLCK OCing limit a bit since BLCK wont be tied to PCIe

Back