People With Higher IQs Live Longer

Vegetarians don’t live longer, it just seems like it.

EXACTLY! Hearing them go on about how they only eat organic foods and shit tofu makes you think they're been around a life time... even if its only been 15 minutes :D

and atheism comes from arrogance and a small mind.

Foamy has a great rant on studies like this:
http://www.illwillpress.com/acci.html (minor cursing, check out the index here.)

Anyways, I just failed a calculus midterm... so I'm feeling pretty stupid right now...

(stupid wall charger... gets stuck in the wall all the damn time... maybe I can leverage it out with this stainless steel knife...)

IQ is a measure of one's ability to reason and conceptualize complex problems and systems. It doesn't change much over you life, assuming you really concentrate on the tests as a child, otherwise you could measure incorrectly low and "seem" to have increaded as you matured. You will drift down slightly with age as your brain gets older.

As someone with a very high IQ, I can tell you, you can understand and conceptualize problems and system way way over the head of someone with an average IQ (110).

For instance, I can close my eyes and conceptualize complex system, like an entire car, running and see in my minds eye all its subsystems running, or visualize the entire universe and understand how it operates.

Ill give a serious example...

I can tell you, it is truly infinite in both dimension and time. It undergoes a localized cycle on the range of 300-600 billion lightyears across, from a flashover of pure energy to the eventual absence of all kinetic energy and the disolution of the very building blocks of matter, where the individual strings cease to vibrate and literally cease to exist, and another flashover.

Not a "big bang", never happened, but a big flash with the event of flashover from nothing to pure energy traveling infinitely faster than the speed of light. There are multiple dimensions beyond our three of the physical universe we perceive. The presence of matter/energy in our universe keeps the dimensions apart. When the region dies out and energy was dissipated and matter ceases to exist (at true absolute zero) the region collides with another dimension and the result is a flashover of pure energy in our universe, instantly encompassing a region hundreds of lightyears across. And then the cycle starts all over, energy to matter, matter coagulating into atoms and gase clouds and stars and galaxies and ... us.

Interesting item. Gravity is not a characteristic of matter. It is the manifestation of the repulsion between dimensions, the force holding the dimensions apart. that is why when looked for on the quantum level, gravity is nowhere to be found. It is not an actual attraction of matter to matter, but rather the result of the repulsion of matter in this dimension to the presence of another dimension. No more matter, the repulsion is gone, and dimensions collide... and WHAMMO, Big Flash(tm) all over again. The more matter in one place, the stronger the force of gravity is because the stronger the repulsion is to the other dimension.

Stephen Hawking actually proved this is correct, in proving a blackhole evaporates over time. The reason is, at the center of a blackhole is the one place in the universe that mimics absolute zero. The pressure is so high that atoms are crushed into not just thier component quarks, but further into their component strings and even further, so crushed that the individual strings are prevented from vibrating, held still they literally cease to exist... POOF.

If you could step back, way back, and see the universe from some vantage point hundreds of lightyears away, you would see an ebb and flow of regions in various stages of this cycle, and if you could run the clock super fast and observe hundreds of billions of years flying by, you'd see this cycle occuring over and over in all directions, like an amazing fireworks show.

But 110 IQ cannot conceptualize such things, no matter how much book-learnin' you do.

In fact the pinhead book learners in the science community were all over Hawkings for his theory claiming it violated the conservation of matter/energy. Sending poor Hawkings on a trip through wonderland trying to clear his name and come up with some way of making the pinheads happy. So he came up with the idea of white I like to consider white holes in parrallal universes, where the matter/enrgy evaporating in a blackhole magically appears, thereby preserving the conservation of matter/energy across multiple parrallel universe's... whoopy.

I'm a firm believer that in the highest levels of astrophysics and quantum mechanics, there needs to be a threshold of 150 IQ, or you aren't allowed to comment on the thoughts of people like Hawkings.

We only wish this was true... the problem really is the dumber portion of the population are breeding faster.

IQ is a measure of one's ability to reason and conceptualize complex problems and systems. It doesn't change much over you life, assuming you really concentrate on the tests as a child, otherwise you could measure incorrectly low and "seem" to have increaded as you matured. You will drift down slightly with age as your brain gets older.

As someone with a very high IQ, I can tell you, you can understand and conceptualize problems and system way way over the head of someone with an average IQ (110).

For instance, I can close my eyes and conceptualize complex system, like an entire car, running and see in my minds eye all its subsystems running, or visualize the entire universe and understand how it operates.

I can tell you, it is truly infinite in both dimension and time. It undergoes a localized cycle on the range of 300-600 billion lightyears across, from a flashover of pure energy to the eventual absence of all kinetic energy and the disolution of the very building blocks of matter, where the individual strings cease to vibrate and literally cease to exist, and another flashover.

Not a "big bang", never happened, but a big flash with the event of flashover from nothing to pure energy traveling infinitely faster than the speed of light. There are multiple dimensions beyond our three of the physical universe we perceive. The presence of matter/energy in our universe keeps the dimensions apart. When the region dies out and energy was dissipated and matter ceases to exist (at true absolute zero) the region collides with another dimension and the result is a flashover of pure energy in our universe, instantly encompassing a region hundreds of lightyears across. And then the cycle starts all over, energy to matter, matter coagulating into atoms and gase clouds and stars and galaxies and ... us.

Interesting item. Gravity is not a characteristic of matter. It is the manifestation of the repulsion between dimensions, the force holding the dimensions apart. that is why when looked for on the quantum level, gravity is nowhere to be found. It is not an actual attraction of matter to matter, but rather the result of the repulsion of matter in this dimension to the presence of another dimension. No more matter, the repulsion is gone, and dimensions collide... and WHAMMO, Big Flash(tm) all over again. The more matter in one place, the stronger the force of gravity is because the stronger the repulsion is to the other dimension.

Stephen Hawking actually proved this is correct, in proving a blackhole evaporates over time. The reason is, at the center of a blackhole is the one place in the universe that mimics absolute zero. The pressure is so high that atoms are crushed into not just thier component quarks, but further into their component strings and even further, so crushed that the individual strings are prevented from vibrating, held still they literally cease to exist... POOF.

If you could step back, way back, and see the universe from some vantage point hundreds of lightyears away, you would see an ebb and flow of regions in various stages of this cycle, and if you could run the clock super fast and observe hundreds of billions of years flying by, you'd see this cycle occuring over and over in all directions, like an amazing fireworks show.

But 110 IQ cannot conceptualize such things, no matter how much book-learnin' you do.

In fact the pinhead book learners in the science community were all over Hawkings for his theory claiming it violated the conservation of matter/energy. Sending poor Hawkings on a trip through wonderland trying to clear his name and come up with some way of making the pinheads happy. So he came up with the idea of white I like to consider white holes in parrallal universes, where the matter/enrgy evaporating in a blackhole magically appears, thereby preserving the conservation of matter/energy across multiple parrallel universe's... whoopy.

I'm a firm believer that in the highest levels of astrophysics and quantum mechanics, there needs to be a threshold of 150 IQ, or you aren't allowed to comment on the thoughts of people like Hawkings.

The average IQ is actually 100.

This may be true. I do a lot of dangerous stuff that hasn't killed me yet, however I'm only 20.

Either way in the end I die, so I'm going to enjoy my life not living in a box.

It has also been proven that one can study to improve their iq by a lot. Iq tests are almost pointless imho because they are mostly mathematical.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx, an argument analogous to the John Searle's Chinese Room thought experiment would claim your supposed ability to comprehend these phenomena is no more a demonstration of your intelligence than is a complex computer program with a database able to translate questions to appropriate responses. Presumably the computer is merely executing instructions blindly with no semblance of intelligence and yet is able to produce the same response as yours.

However, I'm not questioning your intelligence, I'm questioning your belief that you're correct or that a high measured IQ is necessary to excel in astrophysics.

There's a lot of psychology, philosophy and (neuro)science associated with the meaning of intelligence. Is IQ a be-all-end-all measure of intelligence? Of course not. No one yet understands what intelligence really is and so any attempt to measure it is a fallible heuristic at best.

People with high IQ's don't drink things like green milkshakes.

Oh wait, I'm drinking green beer! Happy Pattys day!

AMD Man, I agree completely. IQ is just the label we layman have come to denote intelligence, actually coming to understand intelligence and the human mind, is a long way off.

On my hypothesis, I may believe it, but that is irrelevent, from here one develops a regime of expected observable phenomena that would provide proof, and seek it out. No hypothesis is more than just that until observable repeatable experimentation can move it to theory and then on to accepted fact.

One way Ill be proved right, is if a blackhole can be found that ceases to be a blackhole and becomes visible again, because it used up enough of its mass to no longer keep light from escaping... Assuming that the threshold of blackness is above the threshold of matter destruction, and the time scale for being black and then running out of new material and eating itself back to not-black could occur yet in this area of the universe. Also, supermassive blackholes should "evaporate" faster than mere stellar blackholes.

Utely, the entire area of the universe will cool down to absolute zero and the same thing that happens at the center of a blackhole will occur to all matter, ultimately.... and WHAMMO. But this will take hundreds of billions of years.

The nice thing is, by heading out in all directions, the human race can actually out run the eventual cooling to death of our region of the universe, and Big Flash (tm).... at least some of us, by colonizing and expanding. :cool:

But a ramification of the hypothesis is that "hyperspace" (a space between dimensions) really may exist and if we can figure out how to penetrate it, stargate type space travel might be posible. :eek::rolleyes::p

IQ tests in adulthood are far less meaningful. Yes, preperation can impact your score learning numerous tricks and shirtcuts to dealing with the problem solving of the typical IQ test.

That's why the correct time to measure is around the 4th-5th grade as a child. You can as an adult learn to "test" higher by being a good test taker.

IQ != how smart or even how intelligent you are, unfortunately, sooo... it's funny that the supposed measure of intelligence loses out to ignorance because so few people understand exactly what "IQ" is supposed to be measuring, which is a person's adaptability to their environment and surroundings.

Persons with a "high IQ" can easily move from task to task, or project to project, with little to no serious impediments along the way. They pick up new topics fast (without a lot of study, I might add), are generally regarded as good at most anything they choose to do, and lots of other benefits.

If you've ever seen the TV show "Pretender," that's what someone with a "high IQ" typically is or can be - they can fit into almost any position or role with minimal effort, almost like they were born to do it, in exceedingly small amounts of time compared to your average Joe (not me, I assure you).

But as for it being a measure of how smart or intelligent someone actually is... those things are simply impossible to measure. Even Einstein understood that, with one of my fave quotes of his:

Actually the only thing an IQ measures is pattern recognition in comparison to others in the persons age group.

The word "abstraction" debunks the first and last quarter of your post.

The second part of your post describes the universe as it appears to an observer who is himself outside the universe, which I simply don't accept. I have not read any published works by Steven Hawking.

... and the next part, speaking to black hole theory: "No hypothesis is more than just that until observable repeatable experimentation can move it to theory and then on to accepted fact."

gah, I'm sorry, I'm an engineering student and as I said before, I bombed my calc midterm, I'm just grumpy.

Id say a higher IQ people might also miss out on alot of things they want to do but wont because they are (smart enough to know better). doing 135 on motorcyles (guilty), skydiving, ect ect.

So lower IQ folks may have a better quality life? mmmm ill chose the latter.

Id say a higher IQ people might also miss out on alot of things they want to do but wont because they are (smart enough to know better). doing 135 on motorcyles (guilty), skydiving, ect ect.

A high IQ person would probably be more likely to do these things safely but it's not the same thing. Thrill seeking is a personality trait rather than an intellectual one.

I kinda lolled at this:
"If you believe the association between IQ and mortality is at least partially explained by people with a lower IQ having worse behaviours - which is plausible - then it might be that the messages used to change health behaviours are too complicated."

Might put some environmental issues and a whole lot of politics in context as well :D

A high IQ person would probably be more likely to do these things safely but it's not the same thing. Thrill seeking is a personality trait rather than an intellectual one.

I kinda lolled at this:

Might put some environmental issues and a whole lot of politics in context as well :D

Lots of people think I'm stupid for motorcycling on ice and going down step mountains on a bicycle but I think it's fun. Strange thing is my IQ is higher then most.

Is there any correlation between having a high IQ and an insane imagination?

So there's a correlation between dumb people and dumb decisions... imagine that.

to be fair most high IQ people i know (myself included) usually have other issues that will get them killed. I have a friend who is like...mensa level.. but manages to nearly get run over when he leaves his house. Why? because he's too busy wrapped up in his thoughts and doesn't pay attention.

its my theory the smarter OR more creative you are... the more insane you are in one way or another.

Wow is all I have to say. I fail to see how your example demonstrates a supposed ability to conceptualize complicated systems. You posted nothing that is experimentally viable and entirely in the realm of presupposition. It is equivalent to pseudoscience. Just because a certain theory leads one down certain paths does not make it physical reality. I do not mean to sound like a douche but I do question your credentials.

I always had the thought that people with higher iq suffered more depression/suicide.. meh.

While, i too have a high IQ. I am not going to go around parading it like a piece of bling. My laziness keeps me from reading this wall of text but from the skimmings ive read all i can say is that ive read the universe in a nutshell and i quite enjoyed it as i prefer to read non-fiction over fiction.

Wow... i just wrote a whole essay even though i did not intend to. Ooops. Snipped!

Just read my small paragraph instead ;)

While, i too have a high IQ. I am not going to go around parading it like a piece of bling. My laziness keeps me from reading this wall of text but from the skimmings ive read all i can say is that ive read the universe in a nutshell and i quite enjoyed it as i prefer to read non-fiction over fiction.

Wow... i just wrote a whole essay even though i did not intend to. Ooops. Snipped!

Just read my small paragraph instead ;)

I respectfully disagree, i think that an IQ level does not necessarily mean that we're devoid of such things as fun and wanting to enjoy life. I believe that it really depends on how someone sees life and how they believe life should be lived. Many people with genius IQs that i know are just as wreckless as i am if not more so. Because they are aware of the dangers but instead of fearing them they challenge them. So, just because you know something and know that its bad or good it doesn't necessarily mean you always have to go with the safest choice. ;)

A second study, also co-authored by Dr Batty, used data from more than 4,000 US soldiers and followed them for 15 years. The study found the same relationship between IQ scores and mortality.

How original (read adaptive) is that? And what about the biases present in most IQ tests?

well Bill Gates and Lance Armstrong have done more for this country than a million religious nutjobs ever could have so I will take that.
And john carmack. Doom was more revo than anything ms ever made.

Feel free to believe that everything in the universe just happened to come together just right,
and that somehow the correct chemicals just happened to combine and evolve into humans.

However, don’t criticize others who believe differently. Besides, we won’t find out who was right until we die ;)

Religion actually does a lot of good around the world (i.e. charity).
It’s when you have power hungry individuals/governments that use/corrupt religion for their financial/power gain that it becomes a problem.
If these corrupt leaders can’t use religion, they will just use something else like Communism to control and gain power.

Studying?

People are born with a higher IQ. It's not going to go up or down during their lifetime.
IQ can go up on rare occasions. And people can go from a genius to a retard if

And drugs that puncture the brain can bring iq down.

Even long-term high doses of anti-psychotics can bring iq down.

The ability to comprehend warning labels > unable to comprehend warning labels :)
Warning lables can work both ways. Sometimes the people that make them are wrong, and they often are.
IQ doesn't change much over you life, assuming you really concentrate on the tests as a child, otherwise you could measure incorrectly low and "seem" to have increaded as you matured. You will drift down slightly with age as your brain gets older.
Correct; I pay very poor attention due to severe ADHD, so I tend to get distracted as easily as anyone. when you have your iq tested, and the psychologist isn't extremely friendly to you and not personally interested in you, and doesn't ask you a lot of sociable questions with clear and convincing evidence of enthusiasm, then you can tell they don't give a damn, so demand that the city school board look into investigating someone like the last person that tested my IQ in the 12th grade which is on my college records. Then if, you live somewhere like a live (i.e., newport news) that has always been a left-leaning socially liberal, basically fascist city dating back since the city's newspaper was born during Reconstruction [1896 to be 100% precise] (basically it started out on the left favoring segregation, now it's on the opposite faction of the left), and the school board refuses, call your chapter of the ACLU, give them names and contacts of your kid's "bestest" and longtime friends so they can be witnesses or even plantiffs if the school board denied them of their Constitutional rights, and then the ACLU will contact your school board when they're convinced you have a case and present to them a lawsuit against a clear 1st amendment violation like a dress code that allows forceful sexual harrassment or laws that censor swearing.

Any way that last IQ test was like 25 and 23 points lower than when my IQ was tested 128when I was 4 in (19)92, and 126 in June (19)96;

I swear, she didn't give a damn, and I regret not having demanded that the schoolboard fire her, because someone like that basically is out to make it so everyone, especially w/ ADHD or a short attn span look stupid. Seriously, if your kid was way underscored on an iq test then demand the school board to test you under another psychologist and that you attend the psych eval, so you can make sure the psychologist isn't incompetent like the one who took possibly my final iq test; call your local aclu chapter and go all the way to the USSC if necessary. It's necesarry where i live, because the DA and the principal of my hs are close friends and extremely tough on punishments; if they're bright, then they're incredibly ignorant; they basically give you the max punishment every time; my principal even got permission to have a 2nd physical contact a 180 day suspension up from the prev. max of 10 days; violence just went up and up since they started out at the max, then when up even more when they had the max punishments increased. I was afraid, and I really didn't blame it on the students who misbehaved, but rather most of the staff.
IQ tests are mostly mathematical? really?
iq tests are scored 1/3 logical math, then 1/3 number math (how fast you can figure out different equation types), then 1/3 literacy skills, if I'm not mistaken. maybe the logical math and number math are 1/2 combined or 1/4 separate, but I think the 3 parts are each 1/3.

iq tests are scored 1/3 logical math, then 1/3 number math (how fast you can figure out different equation types), then 1/3 literacy skills, if I'm not mistaken. maybe the logical math and number math are 1/2 combined or 1/4 separate, but I think the 3 parts are each 1/3.

Who is John Galt for $100?

No, damn it...

Yes and the other dimensions you so speak of, please do go and elaborate on them and dream them up for us please, I would like to hear more...

Oh right vibrations… how about this… And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. How about that vibrations were created and traveled on light, and communication and everything physical was created, and everything is held by the most powerful word, how about that what we know as the physical world is 1% some argue up to 4%, so everything that you have dreamed and expanded up on, is really in the 1-4% please do elaborate on the rest of the 96-99%

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. It is a shame that a lot is lost in translation, there is so much more meaning behind every word, but then again you would have to study some of that, and you cant do that if you consider it foolishness… go figure

But what do I know right? My IQ is around 120-130 I would argue with some of those answers, but then again who am I to point out any other alternative to those questions?

And what you have shown with your ability, is nothing more then childes play, imagination intertwined with a lot of information and knowledge, more so then a child could… but still on that level

I ask you to describe or define all that is, with nothing but the absence of everything… that is “darkness was” don’t give me none of that repetitive BS, and other dimensions you get NOTING to start with, now go on please do create and describe your universe, you cant go and use what is already here, what the author and creator has placed, because all your doing is just mirroring and copying… you cant why? Because you and me and this physical world are finite

Back