People With Higher IQs Live Longer

HardOCP News

[H] News
People with higher IQs live longer? Huh?!? That means (if this research is accurate) a lot of us better start studying!

Unfortunately, those who do not perform so well in intelligence tests could suffer a higher risk of heart disease, fatal accidents and suicide. The discovery was made after researchers looked into the medical records of one million Swedish army conscripts.

I have a high IQ and will more then likely die of heart disease in my 50s.. who wants to live forever eating rabbit food?

Almost lunch time... Five Guys sounds good today!

So there's a correlation between dumb people and dumb decisions... imagine that.

So there's a correlation between dumb people and dumb decisions... imagine that.

QFT. People who are able to recognize the next number in a sequence can use the same rational thinking ability in real-world situations.

Guess I will be living for a long time to come. :)

Ah, the Swedish army. I got called in for recruitment in the 90's, the bus left town at three in the morning, we arrived at ten and boom, straight to the tests. I'll cut it short:

1) Seven hours on a noisy, wobbly, poorly-ventilated bus showing bad movies on the monitors
2) Filling out papers and tests on ancient monochrome computers for two hours
3) Sound-based reaction-time test
4) ?
5) Profit

Got sent home the very same day I arrived. If you'd pass the reaction test after all that, you deserve to live longer than me.

So someone who can better predict the "what shape comes next in the sequence" will be able to live longer?

This theory has been known for quite some time. Individuals with high IQ's generally have better paying jobs, regular visits to the doctor so disease is caught early, and can afford healthier food. All those lead to being happy, which on it's own can make you live longer (stress=bad for your health).

IQ != how smart or even how intelligent you are, unfortunately, sooo... it's funny that the supposed measure of intelligence loses out to ignorance because so few people understand exactly what "IQ" is supposed to be measuring, which is a person's adaptability to their environment and surroundings.

Persons with a "high IQ" can easily move from task to task, or project to project, with little to no serious impediments along the way. They pick up new topics fast (without a lot of study, I might add), are generally regarded as good at most anything they choose to do, and lots of other benefits.

If you've ever seen the TV show "Pretender," that's what someone with a "high IQ" typically is or can be - they can fit into almost any position or role with minimal effort, almost like they were born to do it, in exceedingly small amounts of time compared to your average Joe (not me, I assure you).

But as for it being a measure of how smart or intelligent someone actually is... those things are simply impossible to measure. Even Einstein understood that, with one of my fave quotes of his:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

I have a high IQ and will more then likely die of heart disease in my 50s.. who wants to live forever eating rabbit food?

Almost lunch time... Five Guys sounds good today!

We really don't need to hear about your protein drink your having for lunch.

People with High IQ tend to live longer, but those with lower IQ tend to breed more often.:rolleyes:

and atheism comes from arrogance and a small mind.

And the discussion has officially jumped the rails.

What sort of arrogance is required to be an atheist? Not believing that the entire universe exists merely for our own amusement? Not believing that a book that fails repeatedly on any tests of veracity or morality is the word of an all powerfull god?

The atheist are not the arrogant ones. They are not the ones assuming that they have all of the answers. They are the ones attempting to fit their theory to the world.

Thread lock in 3... 2...

well Bill Gates and Lance Armstrong have done more for this country than a million religious nutjobs ever could have so I will take that.

Religious men like Isaac Newton and Gregor Mendel have done more for science than a million Lance Armstrongs.

This theory has been known for quite some time. Individuals with high IQ's generally have better paying jobs, regular visits to the doctor so disease is caught early, and can afford healthier food. All those lead to being happy, which on it's own can make you live longer (stress=bad for your health).

Would love to know what job you have that is a nice high paying job that has plenty of time to do extra stuff (like seeing a doctor) and is stress free :D

Feel free to believe that everything in the universe just happened to come together just right,
and that somehow the correct chemicals just happened to combine and evolve into humans.

However, don’t criticize others who believe differently. Besides, we won’t find out who was right until we die ;)

Religion actually does a lot of good around the world (i.e. charity).
It’s when you have power hungry individuals/governments that use/corrupt religion for their financial/power gain that it becomes a problem.
If these corrupt leaders can’t use religion, they will just use something else like Communism to control and gain power.

Likely because some people aren't so stupid as to smoke and drink themselves into an early grave. How many rocket scientists feast on McDonalds and copious amounts of soda for lunch every day?

There's a reason they call it "Eating Smarter" when you have fresh fruits and whole grains.

God doesn't help stupid.

God must love stupid people though, he made so many of them!

and the only reason there are so many stupid people, is because it is illegal to kill them ;)

most intellegance tests are biased anyways towards mathematical situations / solutions, it is amusing because someone at work is all "cultured" and she once said she is smarter cause she studies the arts and crap, so the following week her computer wasnt working, i told her since she is so smart, she can fix it... after 3 days of not being able to get any work done, she finally admitted that what she said was wrong. :)

Studying?

People are born with a higher IQ. It's not going to go up or down during their lifetime.

Is there any other obvious things we can talk about?

One of the first principles science (and math) students learn is nothing is obvious. Everything must be questioned and thoroughly analyzed. If you think something is obvious, then you've probably fallen for a fallacy of some sort. This is also why I question the accuracy of IQ tests. Who is to say that these tests are valid? There may very well be more than one correct answer for...what comes next or place these pictures in order. A truly intelligent individual is one who can come up with a plausible, and novel solution to these questions.

Based on this study, I predict that the vast majority of posters in the GPU, General gaming and OS subforums will die off by next year.

Woohoo!

Would love to know what job you have that is a nice high paying job that has plenty of time to do extra stuff (like seeing a doctor) and is stress free :D

I'm a claims adjuster and I make decent $, and get 2 weeks of paid vacation per year. Pretty standard benefits I think....

Generally when I have a DR visit or some other errand, as long as it isn't more than 2 hours I don't have to put in any special request.
Stress free? I try! I leave my work when I leave at 5. :D

The ability to comprehend warning labels > unable to comprehend warning labels :)

Back