PeerIX - Official thread

What's up all!

This sounds like a damn good idea.

I was like meh I have no reason to participate, until I saw someone mention Jabber/XMPP. I'm experienced with a few versions of said software and I'd be more than happy to deploy a VM or two and provide that service from my spot. I need some light direction in some hardware or solution that'll allow me to add a host and/or segment to this project.

Back from the dead, anotherguy159 ttys

Would be nice to get some more people from overseas

Well if the other side of the Atlantic is overseas enough for ya then at least im in.

Since i only have a 2610 for this is it possible to terminate the IPSec tunnel in a 871 and use the 2610 for the BGP part? Im still at a CCNA lvl so most of this stuff is new to me:D

Edit: Ohhh just a bit of a problem, i have a dynamic IP from my ISP? Is it still possible to set it up using dynamic?

My 3725 is in the mail... 256 megs of DRAM and 64 megs of flash. Woot! ETA is 2-7 days.

Im still at a CCNA lvl so most of this stuff is new to me:D
This is kinda funny... I'm jumping on board and I haven't even finished my Network+ or CCENT... so trust me, you'll be wayyy ahead of me lol

some new people added, keep the requests coming in guys. If you have a device ready send the group addy an email.

f.a.o. 'Vito_Corleone' - hey, you in the irc room? not sure my client is working at the mo...

here's what i'm looking to contribute:

is someone centrally allocating the ip address space for use, not only on the /30 tunnel connections, but for the /24 'real' networks too? if so, please can someone allocate me a /24 for my 'home lan' and another /24 for my 'vmnet2' so i can start building the environment without any overlap.

thanks! :)

here's what i'm looking to contribute:

is someone centrally allocating the ip address space for use, not only on the /30 tunnel connections, but for the /24 'real' networks too? if so, please can someone allocate me a /24 for my 'home lan' and another /24 for my 'vmnet2' so i can start building the environment without any overlap.

thanks! :)

We're not allocating LAN space (yet). If you have anything overlapping you can change it or filter it from advertisements.

We're not allocating LAN space (yet). If you have anything overlapping you can change it or filter it from advertisements.

Vito... I think it's time that you need to be changing your name to iana. But you will still be my favorite bitch... assigning ip addy's. I'm going to claim all of 10.50.x.x and 10.60.x.x now. I'll get rid of all of my 192.168. addy's too for this

so i've been talking to my isp about what i can do here to make things a little more straightforward. i'm thinking of upgrading my plan to their 'pro' package, which will mean i can get more ip addresses. i am then thinking of fronting the connection with an adsl to ethernet modem, and then a switch. into that switch i can connect my juniper device, although i think i may swap out the 5gt for an ssg5. also into that switch i think i will go with a cisco device to terminate the peerix connection. i will then back off the cisco into another security zone off the juniper, so i can control what comes in. so, i need some help in choosing a cisco device... my biggest issues here are space, and noise. is it possible for me to get a cisco 17xx series router which will have dual fast ethernet ports? with enough memory and flash will it support the right version of ios with the necessary feature set to support peerix?

if we're claiming ip ranges now I want to get in. :)

Vito, can I have the 172.30.30.0/24 range? Please and thank you.

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
so i've been talking to my isp about what i can do here to make things a little more straightforward. i'm thinking of upgrading my plan to their 'pro' package, which will mean i can get more ip addresses. i am then thinking of fronting the connection with an adsl to ethernet modem, and then a switch. into that switch i can connect my juniper device, although i think i may swap out the 5gt for an ssg5. also into that switch i think i will go with a cisco device to terminate the peerix connection. i will then back off the cisco into another security zone off the juniper, so i can control what comes in. so, i need some help in choosing a cisco device... my biggest issues here are space, and noise. is it possible for me to get a cisco 17xx series router which will have dual fast ethernet ports? with enough memory and flash will it support the right version of ios with the necessary feature set to support peerix?

I have a 1751 with the wic-1enet. Its slower because the the 1enet is only 10mb. That is ok for me because for me it's not the lowest common factor around here. My dsl connection is 10 mb and I'm usually robbing from it quiet a bit to do other things in my lab. If your looking at a 17xx make sure you get one with at least 96 ram / 32 flash to hold the ios you'll need for the bgp and gre.

Personally If you can split off your bandwidth and route accordingly i would do so. I have a vlan for WAN devices.My pfsense wan sits out there in the vlan as well as the wan card of the 1751. I have routing done internally to take care of the rest. If you the get the 1700 let me know I might have a decent config for you to start on (less all of the passwords).

yeah a 10 meg interface for the wan side of things is more than fine, since my adsl modem is only syncing at 3072 down and 704 up :( i will keep an eye out on the bay for a 17xx router then. out of interest, what image file are you running on yours?

yeah a 10 meg interface for the wan side of things is more than fine, since my adsl modem is only syncing at 3072 down and 704 up :( i will keep an eye out on the bay for a 17xx router then. out of interest, what image file are you running on yours?

I can tell you that it is a 12.3 ios, but which one i dont remember. As soon as I get home Ill post what I got.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well I'll finally be ready to peer here in a few days. Got a smoking deal on the 3725 I was watching, so it will be going into service instead of the 1760 after I pick it up.

Same I should be ready to go in a couple of days. I have my 2611 in service right now doing my NAT for me and DHCP. I just have to get time now so I can get you guys to walk me through the BGP config etc.

The BGP config is the easy part, the GRE/IPSEC stuff is a little harder.
+1, IPsec is straight forward just a pretty long configuration with many elements.

Interoperability has shown to be the main issue that we have run into, only because we're doing a non-standard IPsec implementation(as per what other vendors would consider standard).

Well I'll finally be ready to peer here in a few days. Got a smoking deal on the 3725 I was watching, so it will be going into service instead of the 1760 after I pick it up.

Ooo, you probably got that one I had my eye on; actually xphil3 had pointed it out to me.

I spent a bit more and got one loaded with Buy It Now, but the one I was watching had a couple days left on it earlier this week when I checked and was VERY cheap...

If it was the one that went for ~150, yup, that was me. :cool:
hahaha, that was the one that sat at $105 for awhile? If so, I totally called that it would go for about 150 electro :p
Nice steal though nex, time for you to get peered up. We have 7 people now I think and a total of 10 or so ready.

BTW: if you're reading this Justin, WTF dude...

hahaha, that was the one that sat at $105 for awhile? If so, I totally called that it would go for about 150 electro :p
Nice steal though nex, time for you to get peered up. We have 7 people now I think and a total of 10 or so ready.

BTW: if you're reading this Justin, WTF dude...

Yep, you called it x, I paid twice as much for mine. Oh well... I'll try to find comfort in the fact that it's got a little bit more memory.

I wanted it now! Then again, if I'd been dueling with nexusalt over the price it might have gone much higher. :p

I'm hoping I can get one of our cisco gods to join up. We have a quiet a few bgp projects coming down the pipe and he is always wanting to learn more things. Just doesn't have enough time in his day to do it

You were all jumping for joy on this one that i figured yo uwould have had that thing over nighted

Lol poor Captain... it took his seller a couple days to get the thing shipped.

I had a tracking number for mine within 20 minutes of purchase... that's eBay for ya!

EDIT - PS TO THOSE LACKING HARDWARE - Xphil3 was successfully able to get peered while running virtually on dynagen the other day, so it can be done. I'm a VMware noob (and networking noob... all around nooby noob I guess) so I'm still trying to figure it all out... might be able to get peered up before my router even arrives later this week if I keep working at it.

Last edited:
I've been watching this and would like to get in on it too, but my cisco knowledge is quite limited. Can one of the Cisco junkies make some basic suggestions on minimum required and reccomended hardware that can be used in this project? i.e. devices that will support BGP/GRE/IPSEC

I've been watching this and would like to get in on it too, but my cisco knowledge is quite limited. Can one of the Cisco junkies make some basic suggestions on minimum required and reccomended hardware that can be used in this project?
I would say to look through the thread. Lowest end model Ive seen that will work will be an 8xx and also the 25xx line as well. Also, check the IOS feature navigator to make sure that the software that you're going to run will support IPsec, GRE and BGP.

You were all jumping for joy on this one that i figured yo uwould have had that thing over nighted

LOL, hell no, I'm cheap. To pay to have that thing over-nighted would probably have cost me as much as the router. :D That and the douche I bought it from took like five days to get his fat ass out of his parents basement long enough to drop it off at the UPS store . . . . .

I've been watching this and would like to get in on it too, but my cisco knowledge is quite limited. Can one of the Cisco junkies make some basic suggestions on minimum required and reccomended hardware that can be used in this project? i.e. devices that will support BGP/GRE/IPSEC

Your knowledge about networking can't be much more limited than mine, but so far everyone's been very supportive.

I think I saw it mentioned that if you go with a 2621, 32 megs of DRAM and 16 megs of flash memory are the minimum you'll need to run the IOS you'll need (12.3 something or another)

LOL, hell no, I'm cheap. To pay to have that thing over-nighted would probably have cost me as much as the router. :D That and the douche I bought it from took like five days to get his fat ass out of his parents basement long enough to drop it off at the UPS store . . . . .

Thank you for this.. This made my day.

Thank you for this.. This made my day.

You're welcome! I do what I can. :D

On another note. I got my router, bitches! It has an IP on the internets and I'm getting ready to download some IOS for this pig. I can almost taste the hot BGP over GRE action . . .

You're welcome! I do what I can. :D

On another note. I got my router, bitches! It has an IP on the internets and I'm getting ready to download some IOS for this pig. I can almost taste the hot BGP over GRE action . . .

Do you got name in the pool with vito and xphil?

Back