[PCPER] The NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z Review

There's no "directed airflow" on a Titan Z, either.
Yes there is, actually. The card is vented in only two places (one at each end). Air moves parallel to the slot at all times.

One vent leads directly out the back of the case. This leads to pretty-much half the heat from the card being evacuated immediately (as heat from one half of the card has nowhere else to go but out the rear vent). This half of the card is basically just a (very short) traditional blower-cooler setup.
The other vent points towards the front of the case. This is, potentially, also fairly easy to deal with. I mean, if you have a smaller case, the end of the card might actually butt up against where a front-intake fan would normally go (which means the heat coming out BOTH ends of the Titan Z would never enter the case).

This is in contrast to the 295X2, which is simply vented all-the-way-around. Air enters at the center and exits on all sides. Nothing "directed" there at all.

Last edited:
Yes there is, actually. The card is vented in only two places (one at each end). Air moves parallel to the slot at all times.
No. There are additional slots on both the top and bottom of the shroud from which air can enter/exit. They are simply not as numerous nor as large, generally speaking, as those on the 295X2's shroud.

No. There are additional slots on both the top and bottom of the shroud from which air can enter/exit.
Not sure what you're talking about, the entire top of the Titan Z's shroud is solid (aside from where the central intake-fan is mounted, obviously).

If you're referring to the visible heatsink fins, that's because the shroud has two clear plastic windows. Those aren't open vents.

Xwzl3fv.jpg

The four silver screws around each window are what bolt the clear plastic down ^

That's a pretty insignificant slat compared to the 295X2's all-the-way-around venting:

1bgObgA.jpg

That venting even continues on the motherboard-facing side of the card ^

And if we pop the top, we can see that the fins from the cooling plate don't actually touch the inside of the shroud, meaning they can't direct airflow in any appreciable way:

CkqudCn.jpg

The heatsink fins inside the Titan Z's cooler go all the way up and meet the shroud, which forces air to move parallel to the fins. This means the airflow inside the Titan Z is directed in only two directions away from the fan (and always parallel to the slot).

Last edited:
The fact that there's a small nick in the shroud doesn't really change the obvious exit-points for airflow at each end of the cooler :rolleyes:

...or are you attempting to argue that small slat is significant, even when airflow is parallel to the slat (and so isn't likely to take that path), and there's a giant gaping hole (aka, the end of the shroud) right next to it?

How exactly is it a fail product when there isn't anything wrong with the product, though?

That's the one thing nobody seems to be able to answer. The price is too high (this is well established), but what's actually wrong with the product?

They failed miserably at appropriate pricing, sure.

But again, the hardware works just fine, so nothing there has failed.

Right... that's what I've been saying from the start, that the Titan Z's price is the problem (you even call it the MAIN problem). But that doesn't change the fact that there's nothing wrong with the Titan Z itself.

I'm tired of you trying to brush the price off the Titan Z.

No one in this thread is saying the card itself is bad you r tard. Can you read that?

Price is one of the biggest factors on whether if the product will fail or succeed. At $3,000, it is already TWO TIMES in the price of its competing counterpart.

I'm tired of you trying to brush the price off the Titan Z.
Except I'm not. I've said from the start that the price is too high (I'll go as far as to say ridiculously high, even). Any time the price comes up I immediately agree that it's too high, that's the OPPOSITE of brushing it off.

No one in this thread is saying the card itself is bad you r tard. Can you read that?
I can read just fine, there are plenty of comments saying things along the lines of "The Titan Z is a joke" without actually explaining why.

The price keeps being thrown around, but nobody here is disagreeing that the price is absurd. Still waiting for a reason to call the Titan Z itself a joke, though.

Price is one of the biggest factors on whether if the product will fail or succeed. At $3,000, it is already TWO TIMES in the price of its competing counterpart.
Right, so the asking price is a problem. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Titan Z, though.

Not sure what you're talking about, the entire top of the Titan Z's shroud is solid

That's a pretty insignificant slat compared to the 295X2's all-the-way-around venting:

So it's not solid like you claimed...

At least you know what he's talking about now... For someone accusing others of now knowing how to read, I've had to correct you on what was actually said and not said quite a lot lately.

What point would that be, exactly?
How exactly is it a fail product when there isn't anything wrong with the product, though?

Take your own advice that you have shat upon others so much: READ AND COMPREHEND.

It has been clearly stated numerous times now that Titan Z is a fail/joke because of two key pieces of criteria that go hand-in-hand:

1. The $3000 price tag.
2. It's inability to outperform the competition's flagship product that costs half as much.

Simple, right? Hell, you've even stated in this thread and others that it's performance trades blows with the 295x2 and that the price is a joke. You are agreeing with the exact same things that you are arguing about...over and over and over again. A reference to Far Cry 3 stands out in my mind: "Have I ever told you what the definition of insanity is?"

I agree that the price tag is too high (I've said as much, multiple times), but that doesn't make the card itself a joke, just the asking price. Everything else about the card seems solid for a ~$1300 part, only problem is, it's currently priced at $3000.

Yup.
The price tag is what you pay for the Titan Z, but it in no way changes what the Titan Z is.
Doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $10,000, the Titan Z itself remains exactly the same card.
Which doesn't matter if priced appropriately.
Thus, the Titan Z's price is the problem.

And some more:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820530

That's a purely semantical argument on your part, as nobody but nVidia designed the Titan Z, saw how their final product stacked up to the competition with their own internal testing, and still chose to release it with the price tag they stuck on it. nVidia chose to set the price of their flagship product with underwhelming performance at twice the price of their competitors flagship product. And, once again, THAT IS WHY TITAN Z IS A FUCKING JOKE.

Without it even having to nor needing to be be stated, you've failed to easily apply logic and make the assumptive consideration that we would all be humming a different tune about this GPU if two things happened from the very beginning:

1. It was priced <= $1500 to be a true competitor to the 295x2.
2. nVidia would be willing to provide samples to hardware review sites such as [H], even if they didn't have any on hand to send.

Even if the performance remained at or slightly below the 295x2 as it does now, one or the other will not get it out of "are ya shittin' me?" status. Both have to occur. But neither have occurred. Until then, the Titan Z is, and remains, a COMPLETE FUCKING JOKE.

At this point, I would expect you to argue against the very things you've even stated that are the key shortcomings of the Titan Z. But whatever, I'm done since you can't seem to read and comprehend something so basic.

So it's not solid like you claimed...
No, look at the photo, the entire top is solid (aside from the fan hole, which should be obvious). Just like I said.

The slat he pointed out is on the side of the shroud, not the top.

At least you know what he's talking about now...
Yes, it would have helped if the slat was on the face of the card that he said I would find it on, though.

He said top and bottom, but the top is solid plastic and the bottom faces a solid PCB...

For someone accusing others of now knowing how to read, I've had to correct you on what was actually said and not said quite a lot lately.
No you haven't, please read more carefully. You've been misreading and attempting to pass your misunderstanding off as a correction, which I've then had to continually go back and re-correct.

...or are you attempting to argue that small slat is significant, even when airflow is parallel to the slat (and so isn't likely to take that path), and there's a giant gaping hole (aka, the end of the shroud) right next to it?
Not at all. I'm attempting to argue — and have succeeded in arguing — the following:

A) You're unfamiliar with the Titan Z's cooler, or at least you were before I informed you of some of its particulars.
B) You cannot count. There is not only a single 'slat'. I suggest taking a closer look at the cooler and tally the number of openings along the top and bottom of the shroud.
C) Any sensible definition of "no directed airflow" that could encompass the 295X2's cooler similarly encompasses the Titan Z's.

I'd suggest that the Titan Z's overall shroud design actually embodies what the 295X2's probably should be, but that's a separate discussion.

Take your own advice that you have shat upon others so much: READ AND COMPREHEND.

It has been clearly stated numerous times now that Titan Z is a fail/joke because of two key pieces of criteria that go hand-in-hand:

1. The $3000 price tag.
2. It's inability to outperform the competition's flagship product that costs half as much.
1. Which is a problem with the price, not a problem with the Titan Z itself.
2. Which becomes moot when priced appropriately, making price the problem again.

I've said this before, so I'd appreciate it if you'd take the same advice. Read and comprehend.

Simple, right? Hell, you've even stated in this thread and others that it's performance trades blows with the 295x2 and that the price is a joke.
Yup, very simple, the price is a problem.

Nothing quantifies the statement that "the Titan Z is a joke" yet, though.
Only the statement "The Titan Z's price is a joke" has been solidly backed.

nVidia chose to set the price of their flagship product with underwhelming performance at twice the price of their competitors flagship product. And, once again, THAT IS WHY TITAN Z IS A FUCKING JOKE.
Once again, that only highlights that that the asking price is a joke, not the Titan Z itself.

Without it even having to nor needing to be be stated, you've failed to easily apply logic and make the assumptive consideration that we would all be humming a different tune about this GPU if two things happened from the very beginning:

1. It was priced <= $1500 to be a true competitor to the 295x2.
That's a safe assumption, no failure there. That pricing would change most people's tune about this card.

2. nVidia would be willing to provide samples to hardware review sites such as [H], even if they didn't have any on hand to send.
I never commented on Nvidia's review sample policy having an effect on user perception. No failure there as this was never a point of mine.

Even if the performance remained at or slightly below the 295x2 as it does now, one or the other will not get it out of "are ya shittin' me?" status.
How would a $1200 Titan Z not get it out of "are ya shittin' me?" status?

Both have to occur. But neither have occurred. Until then, the Titan Z is, and remains, a COMPLETE FUCKING JOKE.
Well, as said, the first one is a problem with pricing, not a problem with the Titan Z itself.
The second one, the absence of reviews, doesn't change what the Titan Z is (the hardware doesn't suddenly transform into something else because [H] reviews it). As such, I see no reason for the lack of reviews to make the item in question a joke.

So we have:
The asking price of the item is a joke
The press coverage of the item is a joke.

But neither of these things are the item itself... which still doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it.

Except I'm not. I've said from the start that the price is too high (I'll go as far as to say ridiculously high, even). Any time the price comes up I immediately agree that it's too high, that's the OPPOSITE of brushing it off.

I can read just fine, there are plenty of comments saying things along the lines of "The Titan Z is a joke" without actually explaining why.

The price keeps being thrown around, but nobody here is disagreeing that the price is absurd. Still waiting for a reason to call the Titan Z itself a joke, though.

Right, so the asking price is a problem. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Titan Z, though.

What part of the phrase " no one is saying the Titan Z is a bad video card" do you not understand? I beginning to think you have no life whatsoever.....zzzzzzzz

The price keeps being thrown around, but nobody here is disagreeing that the price is absurd. Still waiting for a reason to call the Titan Z itself a joke, though..

The REASON the Titan Z is a joke is because of its PRICE! get it? of course u don't get it....15 pages of thread later.......

That's a very cute and admirable attempt, but the disingenuousness here is obvious.
What do you mean? That's not the top of the shroud.

Not at all. I'm attempting to argue &#8212; and have succeeded in arguing &#8212; the following:
Incorrect, you have not succeeded in any of the following. Allow me to elaborate:

A) You're unfamiliar with the Titan Z's cooler, or at least you were before I informed you of some of its particulars.
I am familiar with its cooler.

You said "There's no "directed airflow" on a Titan Z," which is clearly false.
You also said "There are additional slots on both the top and bottom of the shroud" when no such slots exist on the cited faces of the shroud.

I said the top was solid, which it clearly is. The window have confused people before, though, so I thought I'd point them out.

B) You cannot count. There is not only a single 'slat'. I suggest taking a closer look at the cooler and tally the number of openings along the top and bottom of the shroud.
As I said, the top and bottom are solid. The side has small slats that are insignificant to the overall function of this blower cooler, and do not disrupted the directed-airflow nature of the cooler.

C) Any sensible definition of "no directed airflow" that could encompass the 295X2's cooler similarly encompasses the Titan Z's.
I already showed that this is totally false.

The 295X2 has zero directionality. The fan blows into a finned plate, and air radiates outwards in all directions. Non-directional.

The Titan Z blows into a giant fin-stack that only allows air to move parallel to the direction of the fins. Directional.

Looks like this thread has been officially crapped on by the community trolls. Nice.

Oh, I just bought a Titan Z. I plan to smash it on video just in the name of this thread.

The REASON the Titan Z is a joke is because of its PRICE! get it? of course u don't get it....15 pages of thread later.......
Except the price doesn't change anything about the Titan Z itself. It's still the same card, and it seems there's still nothing that makes the Titan Z itself a joke.

What part of the phrase " no one is saying the Titan Z is a bad video card" do you not understand? I beginning to think you have no life whatsoever.....zzzzzzzz
The part where that phrase is inaccurate. DejaWiz called the Titan Z a joke on page 1... not "the price of the Titan Z," but "the Titan Z."

This is like providing infallible code logic to a compiler but getting a runtime error...JFC

I'll argue that if the Titan Z is overpriced against it's competition, then the Titan is similarly overpriced against the R9 290X as the price differential is even worse. There is no value to be found in purchasing a GTX Titan video card at this time.

No you haven't, please read more carefully. You've been misreading and attempting to pass your misunderstanding off as a correction, which I've then had to continually go back and re-correct.

You can't "recorrect" since I quoted you directly. You may succeed in this line of argument in a verbal conflict since you can say "I never said that" but there's documentation here, so again. Unless you can go back in time, you're the one who's being corrected by just about everyone who's participated in this thread.

You can't "recorrect" since I quoted you directly. You may succeed in this line of argument in a verbal conflict since you can say "I never said that" but there's documentation here, so again. Unless you can go back in time, you're the one who's being corrected by just about everyone who's participated in this thread.

this....he's clueless

You can't "recorrect" since I quoted you directly.
There are instances where you quoted me directly and then immediately grossly misinterpreted the quote. So yes, I can correct you in those instances.

You may succeed in this line of argument in a verbal conflict since you can say "I never said that" but there's documentation here
Documentation which you continually fail to read correctly. I always restate exactly what I DID say after pointing out all the things you seem to think I've said but didn't actually say.

This line of argument works perfectly well here, especially since I can just restate what you quoted until you eventually understand it (or forget about it and move on, which seems to be what usually happens).

Yso again. Unless you can go back in time, you're the one who's being corrected by just about everyone who's participated in this thread.
No need to go back in time, you just need to read more carefully so I don't have to correct you every time you post.

you're the one who's being corrected by just about everyone who's participated in this thread.
Incorrect. Your very own "hall of shame" post is a testament to the opposite.

Last edited:
I'll argue that if the Titan Z is overpriced against it's competition, then the Titan is similarly overpriced against the R9 290X as the price differential is even worse. There is no value to be found in purchasing a GTX Titan video card at this time.

When the Titan came out AMD fans complained loudly about the cost. Now that the 295x is even more expensive, either no AMD fan will buy it or they are hypocrites. Personally I come from a time when computer parts were super expensive for just average stuff so these prices don't phase me. I'm curios why the same people who complained about the $1000 titan are now silent on the $1500 cost of the 295.

When the Titan came out AMD fans complained loudly about the cost. Now that the 295x is even more expensive, either no AMD fan will buy it or they are hypocrites. Personally I come from a time when computer parts were super expensive for just average stuff so these prices don't phase me. I'm curios why the same people who complained about the $1000 titan are now silent on the $1500 cost of the 295.

I recall everyone complaining about the price. But hey, that's just me. It's always an AMD vs Nvidia thing with you. BOTH fans complained about the price.

There are instances where you quoted me directly and then immediately grossly misinterpreted the quote. So yes, I can correct you in those instances.

Documentation which you continually fail to read correctly. I always restate exactly what I DID say after pointing out all the things you seem to think I've said but didn't actually say.

This line of argument works perfectly well here, especially since I can just restate what you quoted until you eventually understand it (or forget about it and move on, which seems to be what usually happens).

No need to go back in time, you just need to read more carefully so I don't have to correct you every time you post.

Incorrect. Your very own "hall of shame" post is a testament to the opposite.

There were no interpretations on my part. You said something that was inaccurate or claimed you said something you didn't actually say and I brought it to your attention. You not recognizing is a question of intelligence/ignorance on your part, not interpretation on mine. This isn't the first time you haven't had a clue what you yourself have said in the past. Seems like you're getting lost in your own BS.

With a normal blower cooler, PCB, VRM, and RAM heat picked up by said cooling plate would be sent out the back of your case.

With the R9 295X2, there's no directed airflow (the on-card cooler vents on all sides), so all of that PCB, VRM, and RAM heat will end up inside of your case.

Key distinction.

Your rationalizations are not fact. Nice hypothesis, but reality is different. On the left is the 295X2. On the right is reference 780 ti in SLI. It's clear which is dumping more heat into the case and it's not the 295X2.
295systemtemps.png
780tiSLIsystemTemps.png

It's more than that even. Not only is it overpriced, but it's slower, hotter, and louder than not only it's direct competitor, but even any 2X GK110 cards you could buy instead. All you are saving is one slot. That's it. The card is FAIL on many levels. Price is just the most blatantly obvious fault.

Plenty of "AMD fans" aren't happy with 295X2 pricing. You just don't see them running around post after post for 16 pages trying to defend it.

Maybe if nVidia had something to compete with it the price would come down. You know, like the reason that GK110 was so expensive in the first place, remember? It was all AMD's fault because they couldn't compete. Maybe if nVidia came out with a 780X2 for ~$1000 AMD would have to lower the price of the 295X2?

Last edited:
It's more than that even. Not only is it overpriced, but it's slower, hotter, and louder than not only it's direct competitor, but even any 2X GK110 cards you could buy instead. All you are saving is one slot. That's it. The card is FAIL on many levels. Price is just the most blatantly obvious fault.

It's also a newer card by a few months.

There were no interpretations on my part.
Incorrect. There were plenty, and I've pointed them out to you repeatedly.

You said something that was inaccurate or claimed you said something you didn't actually say and I brought it to your attention.
You misread, misinterpreted, and then went on a tangent based on your own misunderstanding.

I then corrected you repeatedly to put you back on track.
You not recognizing is a question of intelligence/ignorance on your part, not interpretation on mine.
Incorrect, please read more carefully. You yourself have compiled a list that includes all the times I've had to correct you in this thread.

This isn't the first time you haven't had a clue what you yourself have said in the past. Seems like you're getting lost in your own BS.
I know exactly what I said, it's you who continually demonstrate you can't read.

Your rationalizations are not fact. Nice hypothesis, but reality is different. On the left is the 295X2. On the right is reference 780 ti in SLI. It's clear which is dumping more heat into the case and it's not the 295X2.
295systemtemps.png
780tiSLIsystemTemps.png
Not seeing how this in any way disproves what I said. This does not compare against a Titan Z.

Two GTX 780 Ti's in SLI have a TDP of 500w, the Titan Z has a TDP of 375w. Of course the two GTX 780 Ti's in SLI run hotter than a Titan Z... but that was never a question anyone raised, and has little to do with this thread.

Also, please note, I NEVER said a Titan Z would throw less heat into your case than the 295X2. I only said that the difference between the Titan Z and the 295 X2 (when looking at heat radiated into a case) wouldn't be as large as one might expect from looking at the two cards and their respective cooling solutions. This thermal image backs up that idea, as the 295X2 is throwing out plenty of heat there (in-spite of the AIO water cooler).

Last edited:
It's more than that even. Not only is it overpriced, but it's slower, hotter, and louder
All of which become non-issues at a lower price point, as I mentioned previously.

And again, running with a warmer core temp is by-design, not necessarily a failure of the cooling system.

Where did you pull your noise figures from?

All you are saving is one slot. That's it.
Versus GTX 780 Ti SLI? Nope. You save a slot, you save 125w, and you gain case and motherboard compatibility with many ITX systems (which a normal dual-card config cannot support in any way).
Many reasons for someone to consider a Titan Z over normal SLI there.

Also, versus the 295X2, you also save having to deal with an AIO water cooler.

The card is FAIL on many levels. Price is just the most blatantly obvious fault.
How does the price make the card itself a fail? The price has no effect on the card itself, it's still the same Titan Z no matter what the asking price is. :confused:

Plenty of "AMD fans" aren't happy with 295X2 pricing. You just don't see them running around post after post for 16 pages trying to defend it.
I never tried to defend the Titan Z's pricing (I've made it extremely clear that I don't like the pricing either), so moot-point.

Maybe if nVidia came out with a 780X2 for ~$1000 AMD would have to lower the price of the 295X2?
Which would be great. Never said that wouldn't be a fantastic turn of events.

Last edited:
All of which become non-issues at a lower price point, as I mentioned previously.

But IT IS NOT at a lower price point because nVidia chose to price it as it is, add the shortcoming that you just stated, and the result is the whole thing is a fucking joke, as has been mentioned previously. By a lot of people. Numerous times. Do you finally see the blatantly obvious correlation of cause and effect, or are you going to continue arguing about intangible semantics? Hint: no matter how hard you defend this joke of a GPU, nVidia will not kiss yoru ass and give you a deeply discounted or completely free one...because I'm starting to wonder hard if that's your sole pipedream purpose now.

Not seeing how this in any way disproves what I said. This does not compare against a Titan Z.

Two GTX 780 Ti's in SLI have a TDP of 500w, the Titan Z has a TDP of 375w. Of course the two GTX 780 Ti's in SLI run hotter than a Titan Z... but that was never a question anyone raised, and has little to do with this thread.

Spin the bottom card around and it will be a more accurate comparison to Titan-Z which will dump all of the heat from the front GPU into the case. It's way more scientific than you just saying so. I wish I could get you an actual thermal image of a Titan-Z, but nVidia isn't forthcoming with review samples because the card fails so badly.

How about this...
780tireferencesystemtemps.png

This is a single 780 ti. Just a single 780 ti with a blower extracting as much heat as possible directly out of the case still warms the inside of the case more than the 295X2. You really need to check your facts before you post them here. The PCB components don't dump that much heat into the case. Most of the heat from the PCB comes from the GPU, not the VRM.

But IT IS NOT at a lower price point because nVidia chose to price it as it is
Never calimed it was at a lower price point, simply said that a lower price point makes these non-issues.

Thus, price is the problem, not the card.

add the shortcoming that you just stated
Which shortcomings?

and the result is the whole thing is a fucking joke
Again, how is the Titan Z itself a joke?

as has been mentioned previously. By a lot of people. Numerous times. Do you finally see the blatantly obvious correlation of cause and effect, or are you going to continue arguing about intangible semantics?
Not arguing semantics, you're simply ot providing much in the way of evidance for the Titan Z itself being a joke.

You keep harping on price, but asking price doesn't change the card in any way. It's still the same Titan Z no matter what the asking price is.

Hint: no matter how hard you defend this joke of a GPU, nVidia will not kiss yoru ass and give you a deeply discounted or completely free one...
What about the GPU is a joke? The GK110 is quite a popular GPU around here, many people have them in their systems. Hardly seems like a joke at all.

Also never said Nvidia would do anything of the sort, not sure where you got that idea. I'm simply trying to figure out why you keep calling the Titan Z itself a joke and then ranting about the price... which has no impact on what the card physically is.

Spin the bottom card around and it will be a more accurate comparison to Titan-Z which will dump all of the heat from the front GPU into the case.
That would be an even worse comparison, as two 780 Ti's still put out far more heat than a Titan Z in-total.

It's way more scientific than you just saying so. I wish I could get you an actual thermal image of a Titan-Z, but nVidia isn't forthcoming with review samples because the card fails so badly.
Again, how does the card fail? So far it seems to work fine.

How about this...
780tireferencesystemtemps.png

This is a single 780 ti. Just a single 780 ti with a blower extracting as much heat as possible directly out of the case
Incorrect, that blower is not extracting "as much heat as possible," as the test was not done with 100% fan speed.

still warms the inside of the case more than the 295X2.
READ MY POSTS. I never said the Titan Z (or the 780 Ti) would heat the case less than the 295X2, so that's a totally moot point.

Quote from post #315:
"Also, please note, I NEVER said a Titan Z would throw less heat into your case than the 295X2. I only said that the difference between the Titan Z and the 295 X2 (when looking at heat radiated into a case) wouldn't be as large as one might expect from looking at the two cards and their respective cooling solutions. This thermal image backs up that idea, as the 295X2 is throwing out plenty of heat there (in-spite of the AIO water cooler)."

You really need to check your facts before you post them here.
What fact needs checking? You're the one who's responding to more claims I never made.

The PCB components don't dump that much heat into the case. Most of the heat from the PCB comes from the GPU, not the VRM.
PCB components dump plenty of heat into the case, as those thermal images show. A lot of that PCB heat is GPU heat radiating from the side of the CPU not in-contact with a heatsink.

Never said that the VRM contributed more to PCB heat than the GPU, so I'm not sure what you were responding to with that either.

Back