[PCPER] The NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z Review

This just confirms my purchase at the end of the month:

Going to sell my Titans for $1500, pickup an R9-295x and an R9-290x and tri-fire them.

Except nothing you said there makes the Titan Z a joke, so the equation doesn't balance.

It does, however, make the Titan Z's PRICE a joke (which is what I pointed out in the oiginal "fixed" quote)

Dude just stop it, we can tell u love nvidia. But the problem is the price is attached to the product. You cannot separate the two, therefore it is a fail product that people shouldn't touch unless CUDA is considered.

If AMD released the Titan Z and Nvidia released the 295x2. Will you be as kind to AMD or lay the smack down on a product that is a disgrace to the gaming community because it costs 2x the price of its faster water cooled competitor?

If I had the choice to get either the Titan Z or the 295x2 and cannot be allowed to sell it, I'd keep the faster water cooled card. It's an easy decision for me.

Are you saying 780ti SLI isn't as fast as Titan Black SLI in games? I think you should go look at benchmarks.
No, but you said "drop to a 780 Ti" from Titan Black SLI, not "drop to GTX 780 Ti SLI"

And two Titan Blacks are sure as hell faster than a 780 Ti.

If its because it doesn't fit in your case....that's an acceptable excuse....otherwise point still stands. The 295X2 is the better card performance wise, and after all isn't that what these top end cards are all about?
Again, read the thread. Already covered the problems I have with the 290x:
- Too large to fit in my next case (ncase M1).
- Pulls too much power to be run by any SFF power supply (which is what the ncase M1 uses).
- Not quiet enough + uses an AIO cooler, which I HATE with a passion.
- 33% increase higher power consumption than the Titan Z without 33% better performance.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of AMD's video drivers, and I say that as the owner of an HD 6970 who experiences them daily.

It's not uncommon to pick a part that's slightly slower because it has significantly better power consumption and/or thermals (and also pay a premium for that slower part). You see it in mobile CPU's all the time. The premium on the Titan Z is WAY too much, but that was beside the point with the free vs. free choice.

But the problem is the price is attached to the product. You cannot separate the two, therefore it is a fail product that people shouldn't touch unless CUDA is considered.
It's a fail price-point, but I see nothing wrong with the product itself :confused:

If AMD released the Titan Z and Nvidia released the 295x2. Will you be as kind to AMD or lay the smack down on a product that is a disgrace to the gaming community because it costs 2x the price of its faster water cooled competitor?
I wouldn't be interested in either one at that point.

Making the R9 290x an Nvidia part doesn't fix any of the hardware-related problems that I take issue with.
Making the Titan Z an AMD part doesn't fix the price, and adds-on the headache that is AMD drivers.

If I had the choice to get either the Titan Z or the 295x2 and cannot be allowed to sell it, I'd keep the faster water cooled card. It's an easy decision for me.
I'd keep the card that actually works best for me, which is easily the Titan Z. Easy decision for me too.

I also consider water cooling a negative aspect, so that doesn't really help the 295X2's case. AIO coolers always rub me the wrong way, and I avoid them wherever possible.

No, but you said "drop to a 780 Ti" from Titan Black SLI, not "drop to GTX 780 Ti SLI"

And two Titan Blacks are sure as hell faster than a 780 Ti.

Again, read the thread. Already covered the problems I have with the 290x:
- Too large to fit in my next case (ncase M1).
- Pulls too much power to be run by any SFF power supply (which is what the ncase M1 uses).
- Not quiet enough + uses an AIO cooler, which I HATE with a passion.
- 33% increase higher power consumption than the Titan Z without 33% better performance.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of AMD's video drivers, and I say that as the owner of an HD 6970 who experiences them daily.

It's not uncommon to pick a part that's slightly slower because it has significantly better power consumption and/or thermals (and also pay a premium for that slower part). You see it in mobile CPU's all the time. The premium on the Titan Z is WAY too much, but that was beside the point with the free vs. free choice.

So you have specific nitpicks. And wtf now your mentioning mobile parts? I've used all sorts of cards from AMD and NV including a 6970 and didn't experience any issues with the games I've played and drivers. Again bringing up power issues on top end cards is kind of pointless...heat yes but power concerns then I guess get an apu. If you were to look at them without bias and nitpicks then it would be the 295X2 but that doesn't seem to be the case here. You keep bringing up power so I might as well bring up price and performance...its a no brainer at that point. Get a platinum plus power supply to save some electricity if your that worried as you will have plenty of money left over not buying the Titan Z and to pay the electricity bills for a while.

Last edited:
Wow It is amazing how some people are attached to a brand they would overlook anything.

Glad I switched from Nvidia 780Ti sli to AMD R9 290 Crossfire.
AMD much better solution all around and AMD drivers are better from my testing .

Now the Titan-Z is not a card that I would buy or recommend to anyone.

Wow It is amazing how some people are attached to a brand they would overlook anything.

Glad I switched from Nvidia 780Ti sli to AMD R9 290 Crossfire.
AMD much better solution all around and AMD drivers are better from my testing .

Now the Titan-Z is not a card that I would buy or recommend to anyone.

Yeah, that is the point I'm trying to make...or stick to the 780/Ti as well. Their both great cards.

Yeah, that is the point I'm trying to make...or stick to the 780/Ti as well. Their both great cards.

I agree there both great cards.Titan -Z not so much but I never owned a Titan-z so I am just going by reviews.

I'm planning on putting my next build in an ncase M1 (which is a MiniITX case). Not only will an R9 295X2 not physically fit inside an M1, there's also no SFF power supply large enough to support it. Titan Z is just BARELY possible, and represents the absolute limit of what can be run inside an M1.
Let me just jump in here and say that, while yes, the Titan Z should physically fit in the M1, there are a couple reasons why it wouldn't be a great idea:

• The Titan Z cooler exhausts half out of the front of the card, which has nowhere to go in the M1. It's just slamming right into the front panel, which is going to get very hot.
  • Even even if you water cool, it's a lot of heat - both for the case and for a 240mm radiator.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see someone try it. But keep in mind that the M1 is only 12.6L; it's not going to have the same ability to deal with 500W+ of heat that a 20L+ case will.

Let me just jump in here and say that, while yes, the Titan Z should physically fit in the M1, there are a couple reasons why it wouldn't be a great idea:

• The Titan Z cooler exhausts half out of the front of the card, which has nowhere to go in the M1. It's just slamming right into the front panel, which is going to get very hot.
May or may not be a problem. After all, the front of the case isn't double-walled like most normal cases (if you take the front-panel off, it's totally open, no second wall).

Could probably get heat to rise out the top in the gap between the frame and the front-panel, in which case, all heat from the card has been ducted (which means the volume of the case doesn't matter nearly as much).

Another option would be to have some slats cut in the front-panel to give you an additional vent-port.

So you have specific nitpicks. And wtf now your mentioning mobile parts?
Did you even read? The point I was making is that it's very common to pay more for a lower-performance part because it offers better efficiency.

Not $1500 more, which is absurd. But efficiency comes with some kind of price premium.

Again bringing up power issues on top end cards is kind of pointless...heat yes but power concerns then I guess get an apu.
Low power means I can use a fanless PSU and cut out additional noise.
Low power also generally means low-heat, which means I don't need as much fan speed to get adequate cooling.

Seems important to me... but I'm a silence freak.

If you were to look at them without bias and nitpicks then it would be the 295X2 but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I'm not being bias here, the 295X2 literally will not fit into the case I have pre-ordered.

Doesn't matter how much "better" anyone thinks it is, there's no point in me picking it when I wont be able to install it...

You keep bringing up power so I might as well bring up price and performance...its a no brainer at that point.
Well, the Titan Z wins on power consumption, no real question there.
Absolute performance, the 295X2 wins, but performance-per-watt, the Titan Z wins.
Price is the only thing that's really damning, and I've been saying that MYSELF since my original post...so no real shocker there.

Like I said before, though. If they were both free I'd still end up with the Titan Z. Easier to keep that thing (and supporting components) quiet than the R9 295X2, and you don't lose much in the way of performance.

Get a platinum plus power supply to save some electricity if your that worried as you will have plenty of money left over not buying the Titan Z and to pay the electricity bills for a while.
Saving electricity isn't what worries me, noise is. Keeping power consumption low = less heat and no PSU fan. That means I can run a quieter rig.

Last edited:
The fact that it needs to be down-clocked to stop it from cooking itself to death. That's a design issue, the cooler is insufficient.
Maingear had no such trouble with two Titan Z's running sandwiched together in Quad SLI. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2jz0wC3Bs

Maximum recorded temp was on the top card (the one with hardly any airflow), at 87c. That's a bit above the 80c temp target, but there was a second card blocking almost all airflow into the thing...

Maingear had no such trouble with two Titan Z's running sandwiched together in Quad SLI. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2jz0wC3Bs

Maximum recorded temp was on the top card (the one with hardly any airflow), at 87c. That's a bit above the 80c temp target, but there was a second card blocking almost all airflow into the thing...

Look again, there is a wide gap between them, a whole PCI-e slot.

So a down-clocked card is going over its target temp, I don't call that sufficient cooling.

Nice kit, ludicrously over priced. Should be less than the 295x (lower power foot print is great and all... but not $1500 great by any stretch of the imagination). They should have liquid cooled the thing like the 295x, considering their un-willingness to send one to [H] that tells me they're kind of concerned about it bursting into flames under OC testing.

The gimped clock speed on the GPU's reminds me of the 590. All in all a completely irrelevant Halo product made even more redundant by the fact that the 800 series will appear sometime in the next 10-12 months for 1/4 of the price.

I have both Nvidia and AMD rigs, I don't really take sides. But how can you argue w/ twice the price for less performance?

Not to mention a $3,000 consumer video card!??!? What happened?

Canned 60 sec. benches are worthless with modern high end cards. Boost clocks drop off quite a bit after a minute or two. Maybe PCPer will be willing to share the card with [H] and we can get some meaningful benchmarks.

TitanBlackclocksvstime.png

This is from Tom's (of all places). Because they were trying to show the effectiveness of Gigabytes Windforce cooler that they ship as an added extra (because nVidia won't allow them to actually sell a model with a custom cooler) they warmed the cards up. Shows very clearly the drop in clocks after a couple of minutes stressing the cards.

Canned 60 sec. benches are worthless with modern high end cards. Boost clocks drop off quite a bit after a minute or two. Maybe PCPer will be willing to share the card with [H] and we can get some meaningful benchmarks.

TitanBlackclocksvstime.png

This is from Tom's (of all places). Because they were trying to show the effectiveness of Gigabytes Windforce cooler that they ship as an added extra (because nVidia won't allow them to actually sell a model with a custom cooler) they warmed the cards up. Shows very clearly the drop in clocks after a couple of minutes stressing the cards.

And here lies AMD's problem.

Not good enough marketing.

There was so much whining for the 290x and 290 throttling issues, and no one cared about the Black throttling.

That's some DAMN heavy throttling from the titans! Whoa! :eek:

I don't particularly see the market other than people who want to spend a shit tonne on consumer grade hardware. Or people who have a life goal of decking out an ncase M1.

If you really have bottomless pockets and an M1 to deck out.
You could probably put a couple of watercooled R9 295x2's in a shuttle x79 mITX board instead though.

May or may not be a problem. After all, the front of the case isn't double-walled like most normal cases (if you take the front-panel off, it's totally open, no second wall).

Could probably get heat to rise out the top in the gap between the frame and the front-panel, in which case, all heat from the card has been ducted (which means the volume of the case doesn't matter nearly as much).

Another option would be to have some slats cut in the front-panel to give you an additional vent-port.

Did you even read? The point I was making is that it's very common to pay more for a lower-performance part because it offers better efficiency.

Not $1500 more, which is absurd. But efficiency comes with some kind of price premium.

Low power means I can use a fanless PSU and cut out additional noise.
Low power also generally means low-heat, which means I don't need as much fan speed to get adequate cooling.

Seems important to me... but I'm a silence freak.

I'm not being bias here, the 295X2 literally will not fit into the case I have pre-ordered.

Doesn't matter how much "better" anyone thinks it is, there's no point in me picking it when I wont be able to install it...

Well, the Titan Z wins on power consumption, no real question there.
Absolute performance, the 295X2 wins, but performance-per-watt, the Titan Z wins.
Price is the only thing that's really damning, and I've been saying that MYSELF since my original post...so no real shocker there.

Like I said before, though. If they were both free I'd still end up with the Titan Z. Easier to keep that thing (and supporting components) quiet than the R9 295X2, and you don't lose much in the way of performance.

Saving electricity isn't what worries me, noise is. Keeping power consumption low = less heat and no PSU fan. That means I can run a quieter rig.

All of your issues could be solved by going to a single or a couple 290's/770's if your worried about noise and heat. But if you like throttling in that M1 go ahead choose that really efficient Titan Z. :rolleyes: Again your just fucking nitpicking and I'm trying to point out that in GENERAL without all your personal bias against AMD and with a different case the 295X2 is the real choice for top end if you were given either for free. BTW isn't the 295X2 water cooled so why do you think its that much louder than the Titan Z? In fact from what I've read neither are particularly really loud when cranked. I guess we could argue back and forth all day but in the end its green for you no matter what...sad.

Last edited:
And here lies AMD's problem.

Not good enough marketing.

There was so much whining for the 290x and 290 throttling issues, and no one cared about the Black throttling.
That's because there's a big difference between the Titan Black is doing in that article, and what AMD's cards were doing.

Nvidia guarantees a "base clock" on all of their cards, in the case of the Titan Black, this is 889 MHz. No matter what happens, you're guaranteed that level of performance. You'll get boost when temps / power consumption are low enough to allow for it.

AMD makes no such guarantee, and their cards were throttling to excessively low clocks (below 500 MHz, in some cases). They'd basically run flat-out and then tank horribly.

Look again, there is a wide gap between them, a whole PCI-e slot.
Not sure what your point is, look at the graphs. The top card was running about 10c hotter than the bottom card across the board.

1 slot isn't sufficient to provide free airflow, and yet it still didn't seem to ever actually overheat.

So a down-clocked card is going over its target temp, I don't call that sufficient cooling.
At what point during that video did the card down-clock? :confused:

Also, only the top card went over the target temp, the bottom card was fine... and going over the target doesn't equate to overheating.

All of your issues could be solved by going to a single or a couple 290's/770's if your worried about noise and heat.
Those cards aren't fast enough to drive my 5760x1200 setup at decent levels, so no, not an option.
And going multi-card makes noise a problem almost immediately... so that's not an option either.

Also, the 770 is probably the worst card to recommend if you're worried about power consumption and/or heat. It has one of the lowest performance/watt ratios of any of Nvidia's current cards...

But if you like throttling in that M1 go ahead choose that really efficient Titan Z. :rolleyes:
Running at base clock doesn't mean the card has throttled (card has to actually overheat to throttle below base clock).

Also, even when A Titan Z card can't boost, it's faster than the alternative options for an M1 (a single GTX 780 Ti or R9 290x). That still makes it the fastest thing you can drop in an M1.

Again your just fucking nitpicking and I'm trying to point out that in GENERAL without all your personal bias against AMD
Personal bias? The darn 295X2 doesn't physically fit in the case I've ordered. Give me a break...

and with a different case the 295X2 is the real choice for top end if you were given either for free.
With a different case, and all other issues put aside, neither the 295X2 or the Titan Z are good choices. Could just go with two normal cards in SLI / Crossfire.

Not seeing your point...

BTW isn't the 295X2 water cooled so why do you think its that much louder than the Titan Z? In fact from what I've read neither are particularly really loud when cranked.
Because I've never heard a quiet AIO water cooler.

Closest to "quiet" I found was the H100i, but when I finally got its noise down to an acceptable level, performance sucked worse than the single-stack heatpipe air heatsink it was meant to replace...

I guess we could argue back and forth all day but in the end its green for you no matter what...sad.
Sad that I pick the cards that actually works best for me?

I've had AMD cards (5850, 5870, 6970), and while I like the prices, I don't like the experience they offer.

Last edited:

Closest to "quiet" I found was the H100i, but when I finally got its noise down to an acceptable level, performance sucked worse than the single-stack heatpipe air heatsink it was meant to replace...

Thats why when you buy an AIO Watercooler you buy after market fans. The stock fans are just fucking horrible to run with.

I Got 6 noctua fans on my AIO coolers and I never hear them, and keep every cool.

Either way the Titan Z is a waste of money. Get 2 295x2's or 1 295x2 and 1 290x and call it good.

Thats why when you buy an AIO Watercooler you buy after market fans. The stock fans are just fucking horrible to run with.

I Got 6 noctua fans on my AIO coolers and I never hear them, and keep every cool.
Yeah, stock fans never actually made it onto any of the AIO coolers I've tried. I have much nicer fans already on-hand.

Even so, I'm still stuck with the fact that I'm trying to get "a pump and one (or more) fans" as quiet as "one fan," and that's not easy... especially during idle conditions (when noise is most noticeable).

Yeah, stock fans never actually made it onto any of the AIO coolers I've tried. I have much nicer fans already on-hand.

Even so, I'm still stuck with the fact that I'm trying to get "a pump and one (or more) fans" as quiet as "one fan," and that's not easy... especially during idle conditions (when noise is most noticeable).

Yea I mean people should realize (check reviews) that 99% of the AIO WC fans are never quiet.

If you want a quiet PC you will have to put some extra money into the system. Be it fan controllers or new fans.

That's because there's a big difference between the Titan Black is doing in that article, and what AMD's cards were doing.

Nvidia guarantees a "base clock" on all of their cards, in the case of the Titan Black, this is 889 MHz. No matter what happens, you're guaranteed that level of performance. You'll get boost when temps / power consumption are low enough to allow for it.

AMD makes no such guarantee, and their cards were throttling to excessively low clocks (below 500 MHz, in some cases). They'd basically run flat-out and then tank horribly.

Not sure what your point is, look at the graphs. The top card was running about 10c hotter than the bottom card across the board.

1 slot isn't sufficient to provide free airflow, and yet it still didn't seem to ever actually overheat.

At what point during that video did the card down-clock? :confused:

Also, only the top card went over the target temp, the bottom card was fine... and going over the target doesn't equate to overheating.

Those cards aren't fast enough to drive my 5760x1200 setup at decent levels, so no, not an option.
And going multi-card makes noise a problem almost immediately... so that's not an option either.

Also, the 770 is probably the worst card to recommend if you're worried about power consumption and/or heat. It has one of the lowest performance/watt ratios of any of Nvidia's current cards...

Running at base clock doesn't mean the card has throttled (card has to actually overheat to throttle below base clock).

Also, even when A Titan Z card can't boost, it's faster than the alternative options for an M1 (a single GTX 780 Ti or R9 290x). That still makes it the fastest thing you can drop in an M1.

Personal bias? The darn 295X2 doesn't physically fit in the case I've ordered. Give me a break...

With a different case, and all other issues put aside, neither the 295X2 or the Titan Z are good choices. Could just go with two normal cards in SLI / Crossfire.

Not seeing your point...

Sad that I pick the cards that actually works best for me?

I've had AMD cards (5850, 5870, 6970), and while I like the prices, I don't like the experience they offer.

One last time...nobody cares what specific case that you have or the made up noise levels you think the 295X2 will have over the Titan Z. Not being a fan boy most anybody with common sense (price and performance) would pick the 295X2 over the Titan Z...that's why I said in general but you keep bringing up your specific needs/wants...wtf? Comprehension is a good thing, try it sometime.

Awaiting the person willing to pay 2x the price "because of the power savings" in 3 .2 1 ..

Not being a fan boy most anybody with common sense (price and performance) would pick the 295X2 over the Titan Z...
Anyone with enough common sense would get a large enough case to run two normal cards in SLI or Crossfire. Better price/performance than either of these cards...

that's why I said in general but you keep bringing up your specific needs/wants...wtf? Comprehension is a good thing, try it sometime.
Because "in general" neither card makes much sense. Niche cases are all that you can really discuss without turning to the elephant in the room, that dual-card lands you with a better setup most of the time.

One last time...nobody cares what specific case that you have or the made up noise levels you think the 295X2 will have over the Titan Z. Not being a fan boy most anybody with common sense (price and performance) would pick the 295X2 over the Titan Z...that's why I said in general but you keep bringing up your specific needs/wants...wtf? Comprehension is a good thing, try it sometime.
All of this bickering back and forth when all Unknown did was provide a hypothetical and gave an answer to it. He has said on several occasions that the Titan Z is overpriced. His point was that if price was no object (i.e. both cards were offered to him for free/no cost/no money), he would take the Titan Z. The cherry picking of words from his posts and using them out of context on this whole forum is unbelievable...

All of this bickering back and forth when all Unknown did was provide a hypothetical and gave an answer to it. He has said on several occasions that the Titan Z is overpriced. His point was that if price was no object (i.e. both cards were offered to him for free/no cost/no money), he would take the Titan Z. The cherry picking of words from his posts and using them out of context on this whole forum is unbelievable...
agreed, but I suspect I speak for others when I say that after 4 pages of this crap I no longer feel like reading why the Titan Z is the only logical choice for one specific case I don't own.

On topic: I wouldn't buy either of these dual GPU cards, but if theres one I wouldn't buy first, it'd be the Titan Z. Worse performance, twice the cost. I don't care what case you own or how "bad" the drivers are, its absurd. Nvidia should admit they were so worried about producing a card that would cannibalize all their tesla sales that they instead priced it at a level that makes no sense, or they should have produced a dual 780Ti at a more sane price. At least with the neutered FP64 they wouldn't have to worry about enterprise/scientific sales being gutted... unless of course this card is really a compute card and was always intended to be a compute card and they just slapped the GeForce label on it as a pure PR move to make a "fastest" claim that simply backfired.

The Titan Z is great for gaming + CUDA applications.

If you are just gaming get a 780ti SLI set up.

That the 295 needs water in order to run says a lot about how inefficient the chips are in it. Next gen they will need liquid nitrogen in order to compete.

The Titan Z is great for gaming + CUDA applications.

If you are just gaming get a 780ti SLI set up.

That the 295 needs water in order to run says a lot about how inefficient the chips are in it. Next gen they will need liquid nitrogen in order to compete.

I disagree.Had 780Ti SLI and my R9 290 Crossfire trades blows in games and you can buy 2 R9 290 cards for less than the price of one 780Ti.So AMD win there.

If Nvidia customers want to spend their cash on Nvidia products that is great.

I just do not get why people lie about AMD products,just as good as Nvidia and for some people like me the AMD products are better.

Anyone with enough common sense would get a large enough case to run two normal cards in SLI or Crossfire. Better price/performance than either of these cards...

Because "in general" neither card makes much sense. Niche cases are all that you can really discuss without turning to the elephant in the room, that dual-card lands you with a better setup most of the time.

This is the difference right here. I am seriously considering getting the 295x. Yes there is a price premium but it is 2 x 290x in one card that is watercooled and overclocked from factory. Getting a custom watercooling setup takes time, effort and money, not to mention I may make mistakes installing it. Yes it is expensive but it makes a lot more "sense" than the Titan Z will ever be. I don't "need" it but AMD released a product that made me consider buying it.

I disagree.Had 780Ti SLI and my R9 290 Crossfire trades blows in games and you can buy 2 R9 290 cards for less than the price of one 780Ti.So AMD win there.

If Nvidia customers want to spend their cash on Nvidia products that is great.

I just do not get why people lie about AMD products,just as good as Nvidia and for some people like me the AMD products are better.

That's the bottom line. These fan boys just come in here to shit nonsense because they bleed one color or the other....freaking ridiculous when both make great cards.

So then your "hypothetical pick one or the other for free" if you had a case to fit it would be the 295X2 because of better price/performance...thank you that was my point all along.

That's the bottom line. These fan boys just come in here to shit nonsense because they bleed one color or the other....freaking ridiculous when both make great cards.

Irony (from Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία (eirōneía), meaning "dissimulation, feigned ignorance"), in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event characterized by an incongruity, or contrast, between what the expectations of a situation are and what is really the case, with a third element, that defines that what is really the case is ironic because of the situation that led to it

Back