PCIe slot dead?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all! I have a Gigabyte H67n-USB3 with an i3 2100 and a AMD 5570 that's been running for a while now. I think I built it early 2011. Well a week or two it stopped displaying once it booted. It definitely booted because I could hear the Windows load jingle through my speakers but nothing showed on screen. Moving the vga cord from the 5570 to the mobo port fixed the issue, which is how I've been running it since.

I have the BIOS set to only use the onboard gpu output if there is no dedicated GPU inserted, but it is displaying with the 5570 in the slot, and the 5570's fan is even spinning. So I'm wondering what the issue might be, I'm thinking the PCIe slot is bad. Think there's any chance flashing the BIOS would fix something? I'm pretty sure the mobo is out of warranty so I will probably just have to replace it. I did also try another card in the the slot and had the same issue where the fan spun but it wouldn't display anything.

Thanks for reading, just looking for any suggestions before I write the board off as a loss.

~Evan

I've actually had this happen once. I was playing around with GPU voltages and tried a voltage that was too low. Kind of weird because I never though I could damage anything by undervolting it too much. Anyway long story short the pci-e slot was damaged but the video card still worked in other slots. So definitely not out of the realm of possibility in your situation if there was some sort of fault or over current issue.

could be. i never messed with voltage settings or anything since it was just an htpc but i dont trust the psu, a cheap sfx unit that came with my case. i wonder if that might have provided some bad power to the mobo and fried the slot. what's the best way to tell for sure if the slot is dead? i have an old SAS card i could try too, see if the computer will see that. with either card inserted i went into manage devices and right clicked display adapters and clicked scan for new hardware or whatever and with both cards it only came up with the integrated graphics.

Back