PCI Express x16 Card - Where do I start?

SychoSly

n00b
I have a Opitplex 755 mini tower at home that I am trying to run the GoPro Studio software on and am having some issues with the software running properly. All of my googling shows that it is a video/video driver issue. The latest video driver is already installed for the Intel Express Q35. So my next option is to purchase a video card for cheap to see if that helps before I go about looking at replacing the computer.

The computer has a PCI Express x16 slot so was looking at getting something inexpensive and better then the onboard Intel Express Q35. I would like to stick with nVidia unless that is not the wisest choice. I can't seem to figure out the naming scheme for nVidia to see if one card is better or newer then another.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Here are some specs on your machine

http://www.pcworld.com/product/30456/dell-optiplex-755.html

To be honest Any Nvidia Geforce from the GTX 600 or GTX 700 series should work but you'll need to consider the limited power supply in the machine.

Have you thought about a budget you want to keep from exceeding?

For what you want to do you shouldn't need something truly that powerful.

I would personally not get anything more powerful than a GTX 750 Ti. (Less than $125.00)It's a very capable graphics card that is very power efficient. There are lesser cards you can get that will still get the job done. It depends on where your thought process is on this.

I was looking to stay around $50 if that is possible. If the video card method doesn't work I would just sell the system and the video card so do not want anything fancy.

I no longer do gaming so I do not need anything fancy just something decent.

Pretty much any discrete video card is going to have better performance than your onboard.
If you are only wanting to the GoPro software, I wouldn't drop a lot of money in a GPU. You could probably get by with a GT 610, GT 630, or GT 720. I wouldn't go any older than the 600 series of cards, unless you are just wanting to save a couple bucks. The newer gen cards will (should) have better driver support vs older generation cards.

Back