PCI:Express Lifespan??

Dude, people, seriously. If Intel and AMD are both supporting PCI-E, then its not going anywhere unlike *cough* DDR2

IceWind said:
Dude, people, seriously. If Intel and AMD are both supporting PCI-E, then its not going anywhere unlike *cough* DDR2

Yes, because AMD hasn't announced FB-DDR2 support....
But PCIe is here to stay...for longer than DDR2 i'd say. :eek:

IceWind said:
<tap, tap> amd is going DDR2 next year.

pxc said:
<tap, tap> amd is going DDR2 next year.

I'll believe it when I see the moboboards. Until then, its just vaporware in my eyes and im gonna go turn on the fan.

NKDietrich said:
I think he covers his ears and goes "LALALALAL I CANT HEAR YOU".
LOL
---

Icy: The "vapor" has AMD codenames (Orleans single core and Windsor dual core) and the socket transition was officially announced months ago.

Want to doubt Presidio DRM in those chips, too? :p OMG AMD is evil!

NKDietrich said:
PCI Express is very modular and can be expanded upon. Like the above poster said, there are now boards that have 40 PCI Express channels. Which is enough for two x16 slots and 8 channels leftover to distribute as necessary.

I believe there is as an x32 PCI Express slot defined in the specifications but not current implemented. Its been a while since I looked at them.

EDIT: Yeah I looked in the PCISIG white paper for PCI Express, x32 is indeed specified but I dont know of anything using it yet.

Yep. I read about 32x PCI-e when it was 1st appearing. So just like agp2x/4x/8x. I think technology is changing even more than 8 yrs ago with the appearnace of AGP. AGP lasted 8 yrs? I give PCI-E 4-6 years.

IceWind said:
I'll believe it when I see the moboboards. Until then, its just vaporware in my eyes and im gonna go turn on the fan.
confused.gif

Official statements from AMD claim DDR2 is being implemented in both notebooks with dual core turions and desktops next year.

Back