PCG HL2 Review =)

Gustavus

Limp Gawd
Dont have a link....but you can trust me cuz im a nice guy =), just got issue today.

PC Gamer gave Halfe life 2 a 98%...and I quote "Arguably the best game ever."

psh... PC gamer is a complete fan boy mag. Let's see who gave Doom 3 a 95%? They are completely swetp up by the hype surrounding a game. Or maybe it's that the companies give PC Gamer $$ to say nice things about their game... :shifty eyes:

Or maybe they actually enjoyed the game, GASP WHAT A CONCEPT! Just because you didnt like it doesnt mean they didnt.

wood said:
Or maybe it's that the companies give PC Gamer $$ to say nice things about their game...
Yeah and since they were invited to id to play Doom3, who knows what they did for them
.......or to them...... to get a good review out of them. :p

Doom 3 sucked soooo much ass.

I really hope HL2 isn't a pile of shit like D3.
*prays for the first time in years*

wood said:
psh... PC gamer is a complete fan boy mag. Let's see who gave Doom 3 a 95%? They are completely swetp up by the hype surrounding a game. Or maybe it's that the companies give PC Gamer $$ to say nice things about their game... :shifty eyes:

I agree with Triath. Reviews on PCG are based off ONE reviewer's opinion, and maybe s/he did enjoy it, but that doesn't mean you have to slag the entire line of PCG's reviews. So, to you my friend...

stfu.jpg

I for one, had a blast with Doom3. I think the reason most people didn't like it is because they play too many of these new games, and have no appreciation left for old school gameplay, and when they get a game with it in it, they bash it to all hell.

personally i believe pcgamer has some of the best reviews. why is it so hard to believe half-life 2 got a good review? everyone loved half-life and it is being made by the same people. they have spent 5 or 6 years now (as i am sure everyone is aware). and besides you have not played it so stfu.

I love Doom 3, I think people whine way to damn much.

HL2 looks to be a really good game, but best game ever... that'd be a miracle in my book to pull that one off. I'm beginning to think their reviewers are too young to remember the ground breaking games.

We will judge it ourselves. But I predict a lot of people will really really like it. Mainly because it will run on more PCs (demands less muscle to play), outdoor maps, and gameplay.

Sadly enough though.. mindless nublets will converge upon [H] stating.. HL2 is better then Doom III or what have you, when in reality its apples to oranges. Thank God I can now buy an assault rifle!

theNoid said:
I love Doom 3, I think people whine way to damn much.

HL2 looks to be a really good game, but best game ever... that'd be a miracle in my book to pull that one off. I'm beginning to think their reviewers are too young to remember the ground breaking games.

We will judge it ourselves. But I predict a lot of people will really really like it. Mainly because it will run on more PCs (demands less muscle to play), outdoor maps, and gameplay.

Sadly enough though.. mindless nublets will converge upon [H] stating.. HL2 is better then Doom III or what have you, when in reality its apples to oranges. Thank God I can now buy an assault rifle!

Pretty much my feelings. Going as far as saying best game ever is pretty bold, and it is pretty much a subjective thng. Like you, I loved Doom 3, I'm not afraid to admit that I might like this one as well. It sounds as it is going to be pretty good, but we just have to wait and see. I'm sure a lot of people will like/love it, and then I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people as well. I don't know what a "100%" game is, but I think the review is just putting emphasis on it being a "fun" game. We will see, whenever it comes out.

spider solataire gets my vote for best game ever ... but I'm betten' that HL2 will give it a run for its money :)

You know, it's really quite remarkable how good "Arguably the best game ever made" would look on the game's box when it's released...

Kinda like "A masterpiece of the art-form- PC Gamer" on the Doom 3 box.

Contrary to popular believe, not everything in this world is a shady scam for money and publicity.

IxGOxSOLO said:
Pretty much my feelings. Going as far as saying best game ever is pretty bold, and it is pretty much a subjective thng. Like you, I loved Doom 3, I'm not afraid to admit that I might like this one as well. It sounds as it is going to be pretty good, but we just have to wait and see. I'm sure a lot of people will like/love it, and then I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people as well. I don't know what a "100%" game is, but I think the review is just putting emphasis on it being a "fun" game. We will see, whenever it comes out.

true, same here!

TheGamerZ said:
Contrary to popular believe, not everything in this world is a shady scam for money and publicity.

well...you are talking about business, here. A magazine in business to make money by making a cover that will pique peoples' interest, a game company throwing money around in marketing to get publicity to make sell more games top make more money. Both interests served by a tag line like "Arguably the Best Game Ever." HL2 sells more that way, and pretty sure that PCG would sell better with that cover than with some thing like " Half-Life 2 is Sorta Fun" or "Doom 3 - a Solid Attempt at Being Interesting"
You're gonna buy the game anyway, PCG just wants you to think you need to buy the magazine too.

Seriously, wtf is the world coming to if people think d3 sucked. i for one thought it was fantastic. it did what it was suppose to do, look good and scare the shit out of me

inotocracy said:
Swear there was a thread about this like two weeks ago...

yah it was actually a review from some UK mag, a 95% there...so similar threads good call!

heyheyhey said:
I for one, had a blast with Doom3. I think the reason most people didn't like it is because they play too many of these new games, and have no appreciation left for old school gameplay, and when they get a game with it in it, they bash it to all hell.
I agree. D00M 3 is hella good. It's stayed true to the original but threw in a story line and cut scenes. But it's basically the same format. Wreckless abandon, wonton and gratuitous violence. It's just a standard run and gun type of game.

Not to mention it's a lot scarier than the original versions.

It's kept a lot of the old themes as well. Bodies hanging from things, body parts, secret doors that open up when you cross trip wires and such. Nothing like hearing a door open in a dark hallway, turning your flashlight on and being stared in the face by an Imp or a Zombie.

But I do have one gripe about it. Doesn't the shotgun have a flashlight attatched to it? And if so, how in the hell do I turn it on? It's probably the gun I use the most but it sucks having to switch between the flashlight and the shotgun.

P.s. The Chaingun is badass too bad I haven't ever had more than 50 rounds for it.

Now, for something completely different.

How can a review be given to a game that isn't even out yet? When is HL2 coming out?

lets get back on topic here: hl2 review in pcgamer. now to answer some of your guys questions and concerns.
1) pcgamer has a review already because sometimes magazines and review sites get early copies so they can have their reviews out before or at the same time as the game is released.
2)there was a thread a week or two back that had scans of US pcgamer hl2 review
3)i have been reading pcgamer for 2 and a half years and my opinions of games have always been pretty much the same as what pcgamer says, i think it is the best pc games magazine. and therefore do not believe they are being paid off.
repeating what i said in an earlier post, why is it so hard to believe that hl2 got an excellent score? valve has a pretty good track record with hl. just because you are mad it took a year longer than expected to finish (maybe even longer :eek: ) there is no reason to believe it will be a bad game. on the contrary i think the more time they spend on it the better it gets. people on this forum are always mad about games getting released too early and it needs a patch to even run correctly. well, now everyone is mad that valve spent some extra time and finished the game and earned a great review from pc gamer

I agree. I've been reading PCG for 9 years and have always liked their reviews.

I dind't care for their new layout though and still don't but overall the rag is great.

I wan't trying to imply that hl2 sucks, or will suck, as I haven't played it yet. Nor was I saying that Doom3 sucked - Doom 3 is the only game I'm playing right now. It's just not THE BEST thing evar, as PCG billed it to be, but I still love it. And I do think that people overlook good, old school gameplay. Doom3 is doing something that's but done before, but it's doing it RIGHT.

As for my first comment, I'm looking forward to hl2 as much as the next guy. I'm just saying don't swallow what the very first reviewer tells you. I bet hl2 will kick much ass, but I want to find out for myself, and not trust the first review I find.

No moar hatred for fellow gamer <3!! :)

I’ve been a PC Gamer subscriber pretty much from day one and I am sad to say that in the last few years their reviews have been pretty questionable. They are either riding some hype machine or posting inflated scores for getting exclusive reviews. They also give low marks to some great games (like 79% to Prince of Persia SOT – WTF?).

Basically, it seems that I can’t trust their reviews anymore. I just don’t feel that they are impartial or unbiased. I also don’t like the idea that their reviews are not based on a team decision rather than a single reviewer.

Needless to say, I stopped my subscription with them. I’ll just visit GameRankings.com when HL2 comes out.

I'm agreeing with Nowhere Man on this one... PCG has kind of let me down recently by appearing to be either on the take, or by being oblivious to the main reason one plays any game - the fun factor.

There was a pretty good article in the latest CGW (I think it was, anyway) about how the editor was pissed at the haters/fanb0ys raging against each other in anticipation of this season's blockbuster releases. In my world, it all boils down to if the player had fun or not. We can debate the finer points of game mechanics and graphics all day (omg, look at the water!), but I have to boil it down to relative personal enjoyment.

The last time a game really blew me away was Rainbow Six:Raven Shield. Since then, its' all been variations on one theme or another, but there haven't been too many games that I can honestly say fall into the non-fun pile. I very much hope that HL2 is everything that's been promised, but I for one have been avoiding the previews, and other hoopla in hopes of forming my own opinion of the game. Even with the limited amount I know about the game, it seems that some people are destined to be let down due to unrealistic expectations.

I always use game reviews from PCG or anywhere else as a basis and never put too much stock in them. Because, like you I form my own opinion.

The only thing I use the rating a game is given by a reviewer is level of priority.If it got a good or decent review and I feel I may be interested in it I'll buy it.

But I've bought some games with pretty low ratings that were on the poor level and I loved them, Mortyr, Blood 2 and SIN were three games that didn't get good reviews but I still own today and still play.

Back