PCCHIPS: Quality?

Az2

Limp Gawd
Does PCCHIPS make a quality product? "specifically a socket A motherboard with a SiS 746 + SiS 963L chipset"
Is the chipset any good or would you suggest going with a Biostar with an NVIDIA nForce2 SPP / MCP2 chipset for $5 more? The PCCHIPS has the USB ports where I want them, that's the only real advantage I see.
What do ya'll think?

Good god no. Dont even bother. I dont care if its free dont take a pcchips motherboard, not even if your life depended on it.

Yeah, go with the Biostar (although I advise against that, too). SiS is teh suck anyway, you're better off with the nForce chipset. :)

I used to have one. Most of the drivers wasnt posted on thier web site, and then the didnt work.

The MoBo would just die, and then after a couple of days, it would power up like nothing ever happened.

I will NEVER touch a pcchips or a ECS (its a rebranded pcchips)

Please get a good brand. There is no point at all to get a pcchips... or ecs... and although biostar does make some barely acceptable mobos, you should seek a better solution....

alghazanth said:
Yeah, go with the Biostar (although I advise against that, too). SiS is teh suck anyway, you're better off with the nForce chipset. :)
Biostar makes the best budget mobos. They also use the NForce chipset. :cool:

I would get an Asrock (budget boards of Asus) board before even considering getting a PCChips one.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with SiS chipsets. They may not be the fastest, but in terms of reliability, price and compatibility they do beat nVidia and VIA's offerings into a bloody pulp.

PCChips/Amptron/ECS/whatever other brands by PCChips...they're the Yugo of motherboards. Yeah, it'll work, but that's about all it'll do...don't expect much. If you expect anything more than them to turn on, you'll be disappointed.

I am not complaining about my LS7A72 board here. Have a Athlon 2500+ Mobile running at 2.4Ghz on it. Once I get some better ram, I am going to be able to run it at 200FSB with the chip at 2.7Ghz. for a $50 board (when I bought it 6 months ago) it has got an excellent price to performance ratio.

Ive only used the m811lu from pc chips. first one worked fine, had no problems and was stable, so i got another. Same thing, ran great, stable, got another, and another and another heh. I was very impressed. Now for any other board from them i really have no expierience with. hope that helps. That board is the kt266 chipset. Not a sis one.
The m811lu has 5 pci slots, 6 usb 2.0 ports, but only goes up to the xp 2400+.

However, the nf2 chipset is pretty solid still. So of those options id reccomend it.

PCChips has good mobos and bad ones. The M848LU is a very good one. But if you can afford the Biostar go for it.

Thaks for your help.
I'll be going with a Biostar. (I just don't know which one yet)

Back