pc4200 vs. ddrII

grenadier

Limp Gawd
I'm currently eyeing some pc4200 to match up with my 2.6c, but it's a bit pricey and I'm wondering if I should hold off for ddrII.

It seems kind of silly to lay down so much $ on premium ram when ddrII looks to be right around the corner.

I'm assuming when the new stuff comes to market it'll be just as inexpensive as current ddr400 prices and I don't want to punch myself for buying 1GB-2GB of pc4200 ddr at much higher prices than ddrII will be available at.

Does anyone have any idea when ddrII will be available?

hits manfactures in the summer, add a couple months til we can buy it

thats just what i've heard

Think about this. VIA's PT890 & Intel's Alderwood and Grantsdale (all supporting ddrII) are supposed to be shipping in mass in early Q2. Doesn't it make sense that the memory to match would be available by then also (if not earlier)? Seems to me the stuff should be available in March/April.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance the stuff will be available before then as memory usually tends to arrive a bit before intel is able to deal with it (i.e. ddr400).

There will most likely be DDR II support when the chipsets have to be retooled for PCI-X. Look for mainstream support to start once PCI-X is released. All the product roadmaps I've seen seem to to confirm this.

DDR-II + PCI-X + Socket 939 = OOOOOhhhhhh.

Matt.

Back