PC Upgrade Time: Upgrade to R9 280X?

Bambi

I Cleaned My Room - And I am a Dude
As the title states. Would I benefit in upgrading to an R9 280x or am I going to be bottle-necked and may as well upgrade the CPU?

Currently Running:

I7 860 @ 2.8ghz
8 GB Ram
XFX 6950 @ 2gb

Still playing at 1080p but soon want to jump to 120hz or 1440p.

you may consider overclock your CPU to a more like 3.5GHZ to enjoy fully the power of a R9 280X. if you planning to jump to the 120HZ then you will have start to consider Xfire Setup to maintain 120FPS in most recently games...

Nah CPU is fine.

An upgrade to an R9 would see a nice performance boost.
not if he wants to get the most out of a 280x. in fact he would be limiting his current card in some cases. and with a 120/144 hz screen he will not even come close to getting those framerates in most cases no matter how much gpu power he throws at it with that cpu.

If money is tight i found a way to buy XFX7970 (same as 280X) for $220 here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1786674 could leave you with enough money for cpu upgrade? or better cooling for you current cpu, to possibly get better overclock
yeah that gpu and a cooler that will allow a nice oc into the mid 3 range will be good. still will be a little limited in a few games but overall just fine. plus a good cpu cooler can usually be transferred to the next build too.

Whack a Hyper 212 and OC the CPU and it will compete with modern incarnations.

People make me laugh. 1 thread people saying a phenom 2 overclock to 3.8-4ghz wont bottleneck at 7970 then another thread with people saying an overclocked first gen i7 will bottleneck it. Does anybody realize how bad even a stock first gen i7 absolutely thrashes a phenom 2. If you get that cpu up to 3.8-4.0 you will not be bottlenecking whatsoever. Nothing noticeable over say a 3770k or something at least. Maybe a couple frames here or there in some game but will not effect experience in an way. First gen i7 are still very capable cpu. I7 860 is basically on par with i7 930. Dont overclock quite as well on average because 930 are D0 stepping but who cares. Maybe 2 7970 youd be bottlenecking at 1080p but at higher res like 1440p id bet that cpu would still push those cards to limits in most games.

People make me laugh. 1 thread people saying a phenom 2 overclock to 3.8-4ghz wont bottleneck at 7970 then another thread with people saying an overclocked first gen i7 will bottleneck it. Does anybody realize how bad even a stock first gen i7 absolutely thrashes a phenom 2. If you get that cpu up to 3.8-4.0 you will not be bottlenecking whatsoever. Nothing noticeable over say a 3770k or something at least. Maybe a couple frames here or there in some game but will not effect experience in an way. First gen i7 are still very capable cpu. I7 860 is basically on par with i7 930. Dont overclock quite as well on average because 930 are D0 stepping but who cares. Maybe 2 7970 youd be bottlenecking at 1080p but at higher res like 1440p id bet that cpu would still push those cards to limits in most games.
you can think that all you wont but its not true as there are a few cases where it will. Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, and Fallout New Vegas still occasionally dip below 60 fps in spots even with my 2500k. even oced to 4.4 it will still happen too but far less often. and yes its from the cpu as lowering the res will still give the exact same performance and ocing will bring the framerate up. but of course 95% of the time that cpu will be just fine at 3.8 and let the 7970 do all its capable of.

Im sorry but an i7 860 at 4.0 will walk all over a 2500k at 4.4 in games that use more than 4 cores so your not really proving a point. Crysis 3 multiplayer is very cpu intense but tomb raider is not and fallout new vegas is not optimized well at all for multiple threads.
Hitman absolution looks pretty cpu intense but an overclocked first gen would easily keep up with a 3960x or 3770k at 1080p as its only 8fps short here.
http://m.techspot.com/review/608-hitman-absolution-performance-benchmarks/page6.html
Tomb raider is not the slightest bit cpu intense.
http://m.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page5.html
On medium preset 920 is less than 20% slower than 3770k. Overclocked theyd be nearly on par or with high or very high preset it would negate the bottleneck.
http://m.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html
First gen i7 100% capable of pushing a 7970 to its limits. Only time I could see it bottlenecking is wen trying to push 120hz in 64 player battlefield with settings lowered. With all settings maxed in bf3 it would still not bottleneck the 7970 in the least.

Last edited:
Im sorry but an i7 860 at 4.0 will walk all over a 2500k at 4.4 in games that use more than 4 cores so your not really proving a point. Crysis 3 multiplayer is very cpu intense but tomb raider is not and fallout new vegas is not optimized well at all for multiple threads. I cant speak for hitman, but its single player so I dont its cpu intense.
and how many games really go past 4 cores? Crysis 3 yes but those others, the 2500k at 4.4 would be faster. heck overall the 2500k at just 4.0 nevermind 4.4 would easily be the faster gaming cpu. and you seemed to have forgotten your own claim of "will not be bottlenecking whatsoever". the other 3 games I listed I know it will not even maintain 60 fps so again don't making sweeping statements. and some other stuff you are saying does not matter. dont say a game cant be cpu intensive just because its single player. and there are plenty of unoptimized games but so what? if they need more cpu power then they need it and the reason why does not change that fact.

Im sorry but an i7 860 at 4.0 will walk all over a 2500k at 4.4 in games that use more than 4 cores so your not really proving a point. Crysis 3 multiplayer is very cpu intense but tomb raider is not and fallout new vegas is not optimized well at all for multiple threads.
Hitman absolution looks pretty cpu intense but an overclocked first gen would easily keep up with a 3960x or 3770k at 1080p as its only 8fps short here.
http://m.techspot.com/review/608-hitman-absolution-performance-benchmarks/page6.html
On medium preset 920 is less than 20% slower than 3770k. Overclocked theyd be nearly on par or with high or very high preset it would negate the bottleneck.
First gen i7 100% capable of pushing a 7970 to its limits. Only time I could see it bottlenecking is wen trying to push 120hz in 64 player battlefield with settings lowered. With all settings maxed in bf3 it would still not bottleneck the 7970 in the least. Id be glad to find a member with first gen i7 around 4.0 to compare to my 4.7ghz 2600k with 7950 or 7970 in tomber raider or crysis 3 benchmark tool. These are games wirh intense graphical additions that needs tons of gpu horsepower. With lower settings and trying to get 120hz frames its a diff story but for the highest in game setting a 7970 is capable of pushing a first gen i7 is not a bottleneck.

Last edited:
Happens around 9:30am every day.

Op if you clock your CPU it will be fine for most games.
A few games need silly horsepower, see how you get on.
No need to upgrade the CPU unless you arent happy with it.

First gen i7 100% capable of pushing a 7970 to its limits. Only time I could see it bottlenecking is wen trying to push 120hz in 64 player battlefield with settings lowered. With all settings maxed in bf3 it would still not bottleneck the 7970 in the least. Id be glad to find a member with first gen i7 around 4.0 to compare to my 4.7ghz 2600k with 7950 or 7970 in tomber raider or crysis 3 benchmark tool. These are games wirh intense graphical additions that needs tons of gpu horsepower. With lower settings and trying to get 120hz frames its a diff story but for the highest in game setting a 7970 is capable of pushing a first gen i7 is not a bottleneck.
and so you think those are the only parts of the game? again with my cpu even at 4.4 I dip below 60 fps in a few spots in Hitman. it was much worse with my cpu at stock. all you have to do is run the bench to see that. in Tomb Raider there parts of the game that are super gpu limited and parts that are cpu limited. with my cpu at stock I would dip below 60fps in few areas. it is after all the same engine as they use in Hitman. and as I already mentioned, Fallout, NV will certainly dip below 60 fps in even with my cpu at 4.4 but at stock it was even going below 50 fps. and those are just games that go below 60 as there would be more games that could not reach there full potential but framerates would be high enough not to matter unless trying to run 120hz. I am not saying its a big enough issue to matter because its not but again please stop claiming there is no bottleneck at all. as I already said to just get the 7970 and oc that cpu into the mid 3ghz range and be done.

Last edited:
Those dips could also be other problems, such as software. Or, it's just the game. Hitman seems to have some bugs, and Fallout constantly loads things, so if you didn't install it on an SSD it cause it as well. Plus I hope you did all the stutter remover mods for Fallout, or any Bethesda game.

If you want to argue that 5 seconds over 4 hours under 60FPS is a CPU bottleneck, then OK.

Its not a cpu bottleneck making you drop below 60fps. Even if it is a first gen i7 is faster than a 2nd gen i5 even if the clocks are faster in multithreaded games. Which everything you posted is multi threaded other than maybe fallout. Post some screenshots of your gpu usage in afterburner dropping below 99%.

Those dips could also be other problems, such as software. Or, it's just the game. Hitman seems to have some bugs, and Fallout constantly loads things, so if you didn't install it on an SSD it cause it as well. Plus I hope you did all the stutter remover mods for Fallout, or any Bethesda game.

If you want to argue that 5 seconds over 4 hours under 60FPS is a CPU bottleneck, then OK.
no those are cpu limited areas as faster cpu leads to higher framerates. the dips I am referring to in Fallout NV have nothing to do loading. there are just some really unoptimized areas. again all I am saying is its silly to makes blanket statements that a certain cpu will never bottleneck.

Its not a cpu bottleneck making you drop below 60fps. Even if it is a first gen i7 is faster than a 2nd gen i5 even if the clocks are faster in multithreaded games. Which everything you posted is multi threaded other than maybe fallout. Post some screenshots of your gpu usage in afterburner dropping below 99%.
so you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. you want to make broad sweeping statement and stand by it for no other reason than to be stubborn. a faster cpu speed in those spots makes the game faster. I know damn well because I tested them at different cpu speeds after seeing dips below 60 fps. get over yourself and accept that it can happen. and other than Crysis 3 there I doubt there is any other game where that older i7 at 4 would beat a 2500k at 4.4. the 2500k already has about a 10-12% advantage at the same clocks so it would take that 860 at 4.8 just to match it if games are not effectively going beyond 4 cores which is the cases 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Agreed cannondale, I've verified similar events many times.

so you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. you want to make broad sweeping statement and stand by it for no other reason than to be stubborn. a faster cpu speed in those spots makes the game faster. I know damn well because I tested them at different cpu speeds after seeing dips below 60 fps. get over yourself and accept that it can happen.

Your argument is valid for maybe 1% of the time, which means it is pretty insignificant. An i7 860 will not be a bottleneck 99% of the time, better? You always go really hard with these CPU arguments like they are some huge deal, but they really aren't. Upgrading from an i7 860 to a 4770K will not really show much benefit compared to going from a 6950 to a 290x.

Your argument is valid for maybe 1% of the time, which means it is pretty insignificant. An i7 860 will not be a bottleneck 99% of the time, better? You always go really hard with these CPU arguments like they are some huge deal, but they really aren't. Upgrading from an i7 860 to a 4770K will not really show much benefit compared to going from a 6950 to a 290x.
yes I have already said its rare and I have already said its no reason not to get the 280x or 7970. its not a big deal but I hate when people claim there will be no bottleneck at all and that will never happen. I, like many others, run my cpu oced for a reason and thats because it helps in some cases. and since I like to run vsync it was more noticeable in those rare cases where even 60 fps could not be maintained. I am now looking forward to the new g-sync though. lol

LOL clock for clock a 2500k is not 10-12% faster in anything remotely multithreaded. Maybe in something that cant use the extra threads and its still due to the clocks being lower. Play 1 of these parts in tomb raider with you cpu at stock and take a screenshot of your gpu usage in afterburner dropping below 99%. Ive given links and you've given no valid argument. Even a phenom x2 handles tomb raider fine. I see your argument making sense in fallout maybe because its so unoptimized.

LOL clock for clock a 2500k is not 10-12% faster in anything remotely multithreaded. Maybe in something that cant use the extra threads and its still due to the clocks being lower.
so you just want to keep on I guess. I was talking about its clock for clock speed and made that clear I thought. in cpu limited areas, the 2500k at 4.4 will be faster than an older 860 at 4.0 in 99% cases and even you know that.

so you just want to keep on I guess. I was talking about its clock for clock speed and made that clear I thought. in cpu limited areas, the 2500k at 4.4 will be faster than an older 860 at 4.0 in 99% cases and even you know that.

Totally correct..

Bf3 multiplayer is a lot more than 1% of the case for most people. Tested both i7 930 at 4.1ghz and 2500k at 4.7ghz and 930 is faster with 2 670s at 1080p. By a significant margin. About 10-15fps minimum. Can argue that all u want but that game uses multiple threads very well. Id take first gen i7 over 2nd gen i5 any day. 3rd gen is a little diff. The gap increases a bit more and pcie 3.0 etc.

Bf3 multiplayer is a lot more than 1% of the case for most people. Tested both i7 930 at 4.1ghz and 2500k at 4.7ghz and 930 is faster with 2 670s at 1080p. By a significant margin. About 10-15fps minimum. Can argue that all u want but that game uses multiple threads very well. Id take first gen i7 over 2nd gen i5 any day. 3rd gen is a little diff. The gap increases a bit more and pcie 3.0 etc.

Brother nothing its saying the contrary.. 870 its a good chip as i said to the OP Oc'ing it to the 3.4-3.5ghz will help him a lot to achieve his desire.. But we have to be clear that in vast majority of games the 2500K will perform better than a first gen i7.. And even 2nd gen.. There are so many games where people have to disable hyper threading cause stuttering problems. Etc.. I think even 10games are still in the 1% that will have that kind of advantage over a 2500K in a first gen i7.. I've tested many times with all my 3 i7. Somes games i had to disable Hyper threading to have smoother gameplay..

I have no games that need ht disabled. Thats a vast steam library. N I will repeat for I dunno how many times now your i5 at 4.4 will not outperform an i7 860 at 3.8-4ghz at all. Not with a single 7970. Maybe 2 you'd see a difference. This isnt 120hz goal. Its goal of best visuals. Meaning settings cranked to ultra in mist games. Which without vsync will peg that 7970 to 99% all the time on either cpu.

I have no games that need ht disabled. Thats a vast steam library. N I will repeat for I dunno how many times now your i5 at 4.4 will not outperform an i7 860 at 3.8-4ghz at all. Not with a single 7970. Maybe 2 you'd see a difference. This isnt 120hz goal. Its goal of best visuals. Meaning settings cranked to ultra in mist games. Which without vsync will peg that 7970 to 99% all the time on either cpu.

why dont you go play arma 2 or arma 3 then come back with your rubbish.In cpu intensive games that I7 860 Will get crushed by a 4.4 ghz 2500k.

why dont you go play arma 2 or arma 3 then come back with your rubbish.In cpu intensive games that I7 860 Will get crushed by a 4.4 ghz 2500k.

Oh I didn't know that 1 or 2 games that rely heavily on the CPU mean much when it comes to others. Please do go on though about how important Arma's performance is to a different game such as Battlefield 3.

Oh I didn't know that 1 or 2 games that rely heavily on the CPU mean much when it comes to others. Please do go on though about how important Arma's performance is to a different game such as Battlefield 3.
looking at ALL games, a 2500k at 4.4 is easily the faster overall cpu compared to the 860 at 4.0. and can an 860 even typically oc to 4.0 anyway?

looking at ALL games, a 2500k at 4.4 is easily the faster overall cpu compared to the 860 at 4.0. and can an 860 even typically oc to 4.0 anyway?

Easily. BTW, my 3770K performed the same or even worse at times than my W3520 @ 4ghz (3770K @ stock, which is 3.9). It won't be noticeable in most games if you play at 1080P or higher.

I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like you make it seem way bigger than it actually is.

Easily. BTW, my 3770K performed the same or even worse at times than my W3520 @ 4ghz (3770K @ stock, which is 3.9). It won't be noticeable in most games if you play at 1080P or higher.

I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like you make it seem way bigger than it actually is.
oh I am not trying to say it would be noticeable in most cases. if trying to maintain just 60 then it likely never will except in few spots in certain games. I am just going back to him acting like the 860 is the better gaming chip.

Three things.

1. I had 2 first gen 1156 i7s. It is only like 5% of them made it to 4.0ghz, and it usually required massive voltage and top end cooling.

2. I went from a 4.0ghz i7 860 to a i7 2700k. At STOCK clocks the 2700k walked all over the 860 @ 4.0ghz, and at 4600mhz the difference in games was up to 35%

3. Even with ht off on the 2700k at stock clocks in heavily threaded games like bf 4, the i7 2700k at 3.5ghz ht off beat the i7 860 at 4ghz ht on. Don't forget that it wasn't just the processor node that changed, there were IPC improvements and new motherboards etc.

All that said I'd still get a hypere 212 evo, wack it up to 3.6ghz, and clock your 6970 a bit. You should get a pretty noticeable increase in performance.

Lol a stock 2700k doesnt walk all over an i7 860 at 4ghz. Maybe 5-10% diff at most. Thats if your running high end sli or crossfire. Like 670 sli or 7950 cf or higher. And at 1080p. Do people actually play arma ?:eek: I could see with ht off in bf3 when it came out. 860 would of performed better with ht off when the game came out as well. Had massive issues with ht for a good amount of time after release.

I would upgrade if you can find a deal on a 1155 board and 2500K/2600K CPU. Nothing interesting until 10NM release in 2015 which is a long way off.

My 2500K @ 4.7 is still cutting it for now. I do not plan on upgrading until 2015.

When it is time to upgrade I'll OC as high as I can until shit melts... then upgrade.

As far as the GPU question goes, with the 780ti coming next month I'd wait a bit. Price drops are incoming.

Back