PC Chronic Re-Boot

MichiganPC

n00b
Let me know if there is a better sub-forum to post this type of issue/question.

I have a 6 month old build that randomly re-boots all the time. I get no warning, no blue screen, nothing.

I have power on set to off on AC loss. I have restart set to off, Win Update set to off.

Most common issue I read is a hardware issue, however I see nothing in the logs I can find that point to any specific device. Even in Safe Mode it will randomly reboot.

Is there a log I should be looking for, or one I should enable?

Below is a summary of my system.

Windows 11 Professional Edition build 22631 (64-bit)
ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI
Motherboard Version: Rev 1.xx
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: 1402
BIOS Release Date: 2023/09/08
Type: 13th Gen Intel Core i5-13500
Total Physical Memory: 64GB RAM
Slot 1: DDR5, 32768MB, 4800MHz,
Corsair CMK64GX5M2B5600C40,
Slot 2: DDR5, 32768MB, 4800MHz,
Corsair CMK64GX5M2B5600C40,

Physical Drive 0: WD_BLACK SN770 2TB
Drive Size: 1863GB
Interface Type: NVMe
Bytes per Sector: 512
RPM: Solid State

Optical Drive 1: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB

Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770
DAC Type: Internal
Memory: 1024MB

Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
SLI/Crossfire Enabled: No
Chip Type: 0x2504
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Memory: 12287MB
Video BIOS: 94.06.25.40.42
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Version: 535.98
Driver Date: 5-24-2023
Monitor 1: 1920x1080x32 60Hz 96 DPI (Primary monitor)

disable auto-restart and grab the bsod info. or you could try raising the ram voltage a bit. corsair often needs a bit more juice.

I do have auto restart set to off. But it keeps rebooting, that is what makes me wonder if it is OS triggered.

For a memory issue should there be some indicator, memory dump, parity error? I don't over clock or anything like that, so what would be a bit more voltage?

I do have auto restart set to off. But it keeps rebooting, that is what makes me wonder if it is OS triggered.

For a memory issue should there be some indicator, memory dump, parity error? I don't over clock or anything like that, so what would be a bit more voltage?
If its set to remain off after AC power loss, you aren't losing AC power. The system is randomly rebooting because something is causing instability. It's doing it in such a way as you likely aren't finding much in the way of logs. Also, it would help to have your power supply information as power supply issues can manifest in this way, albeit rarely.

You indicated your RAM is at 4800MHz, but the part number says its DDR5 5600MHz memory. That means you likely aren't running with XMP or EXPO enabled. You will want to enable that. Doing so might solve your problem right there. Though your memory should run stable enough at JEDEC specs, but DDR5 and compatible motherboards can be fickle at times. JEDEC specs for RAM are going to have to voltage running at 1.2v. You can run 1.4v or so safely with DDR5 memory. Simply increasing the memory voltage might also solve your issues.

I agree with the assessments above. Check the ram settings/ installation.

Forgive me if I’m way off. You state slot 1 and 2 for your ram modules. Are they installed like the manual says for two sticks ? A2,B2?

Attachments

• IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I agree with the assessments above. Check the ram settings/ installation.

Forgive me if I’m way off. You state slot 1 and 2 for your ram modules. Are they installed like the manual says for two sticks ? A2,B2?
Yes they are definitely in slots A2 and B2. For my original post I just cut and pasted system info text from "PerformanceTest", weird.

If its set to remain off after AC power loss, you aren't losing AC power. The system is randomly rebooting because something is causing instability. It's doing it in such a way as you likely aren't finding much in the way of logs. Also, it would help to have your power supply information as power supply issues can manifest in this way, albeit rarely.

You indicated your RAM is at 4800MHz, but the part number says its DDR5 5600MHz memory. That means you likely aren't running with XMP or EXPO enabled. You will want to enable that. Doing so might solve your problem right there. Though your memory should run stable enough at JEDEC specs, but DDR5 and compatible motherboards can be fickle at times. JEDEC specs for RAM are going to have to voltage running at 1.2v. You can run 1.4v or so safely with DDR5 memory. Simply increasing the memory voltage might also solve your issues.
Estimated wattage for the build was 465W, I'm running a Corsair RM850x PSU.

The motherboard supports 4800 to 7200Mhz, so it is surprising mem is clocking down to 4800 on a 5600 module. Is that what is tipping you gents off to a memory voltage issue?

I'll give increasing memory voltage a go.

Like I said I don't over clock or anything so this is new to me. I do have follow up questions.

Checking the Corsair web site the mem kit I have list the SPD Voltage at 1.1v and the Tested Voltage at 1.25v. However when I look at re-sellers the memory is listed as 1.25V which I would assume was the rated/SPD voltage.

What does your experience say?

Yes they are definitely in slots A2 and B2. For my original post I just cut and pasted system info text from "PerformanceTest", weird.

Estimated wattage for the build was 465W, I'm running a Corsair RM850x PSU.
The actual wattages (or estimates) weren't what I was worried about primarily. I am more concerned about the quality of the unit.
The motherboard supports 4800 to 7200Mhz, so it is surprising mem is clocking down to 4800 on a 5600 module. Is that what is tipping you gents off to a memory voltage issue?
Memory speeds over JEDEC standards are considered overclocking. The motherboard manufacturers don't really guarantee anything. They simply state what the board was tested at during the QVL process. It's virtually meaningless. A lot of modules will not clock that high on a given board even if they are rated to and some modules will clock higher than they are rated to go but only on some boards.

The memory is being downclocked to JEDEC speeds. In order to get the RAM running at its rated values, you have to enable XMP or EXPO in the BIOS. It will then automatically configure everything to run at the rated speeds. Though sometimes the voltages do not get set on their own and you have to do it manually.

The memory is being downclocked to JEDEC speeds. In order to get the RAM running at its rated values, you have to enable XMP or EXPO in the BIOS. It will then automatically configure everything to run at the rated speeds. Though sometimes the voltages do not get set on their own and you have to do it manually.
So I've enabled XMP in BIOS and immediately clock speed and 4 or 5 voltage settings were updated, 5600Mhz @ 1.25v.

Fingers crossed that takes care of that.

So I've enabled XMP in BIOS and immediately clock speed and 4 or 5 voltage settings were updated, 5600Mhz @ 1.25v.

Fingers crossed that takes care of that.
It might not. You might need to increase the voltage beyond 1.25v. 1.35v or even 1.4v is going to be perfectly safe. Furthermore, you are leaving performance on the table by running the RAM at 4800MHz anyway.

Back