passive passive watercooling

braidman

Gawd
Is it possible to water cool without a pump or without any fans? seems like the water expanding due to temperature would be able to produce some flow....

And if not would it be possible to make some sort of heat driven form of motor to induce motion?

Are you Amish?

Because only the Amish would be considering ways to watercool without electricity :)

LOL

no....
When I first heard about watercooling I thought they did it without a pump...

The only reason I would want to do it would be for silence.

Originally posted by braidman
LOL

no....
When I first heard about watercooling I thought they did it without a pump...

The only reason I would want to do it would be for silence.

The pumps are relatively quite. Think of it as a fishtank, without all the bubbling noise from the recycling of the water.

I don't think water even comes close to having similar convection style properties to air. This mainly woud be because water doesn't compress or expand.

The only real way that would work is if you had the water evaporating/boiling and falling as it is cooled and condensed. Thus making a heatpipe. Then that only realy works well with rubbing alcohol and stuff because it likes to evaporate quicker and easier.

And that doesn't realy work all that well for cooling.

Well, you can leave out the fans if you use a big enough reservoir. In that case you namely won't need a radiator and thus no fans to move air over it.

Originally posted by Elledan
Well, you can leave out the fans if you use a big enough reservoir. In that case you namely won't need a radiator and thus no fans to move air over it.

Yeah, or you could dig a big trench outside, or run copper tubing into your garage .. hehe :)

I've seen one case mod were the guy rigged up a waterfall / sprinkler. The water would be pumped through the system, then up a tube, and free fall back down into the reservoir bucket, then be recycled again through the system.

It can be done without a pump. But then it would not cool things all that good with it. I was a plumber most of my life and we used to pipe the hot water system so it would circulate without a pump and always keep hot water close to the bath rooms. It took a lot of extra pipe and time and we only done it for people who wanted to pay the extra for it. It works in a 2 story house a lot better than a one story house. With the 2 story house you put the water heater on the first floor and them the hot water has a long way to raise. And that pushes the cooled water down (it wants to go down anyway when it cools) And you get some circulation. Not much mind you but it was all that was needed to keep hot water to where we wanted it.
Now what you are wanting to do could work also if you piped it right. But you would have very little flow and that would keep your temps high. You would do much better with air cooling and add a low RPM fan to cut down the noise.

I think I have decided to engineer a system of ducts...such that each component would get some cooling. Using nForce2 video that would be the proc, the northbridge and the power supply. For the power supply and the northbridge I think I will take some cheap copper heatsinks and fit them in place of the stock ones.

I think I will also expose the top of the powersupply in order to modify/duct it. :)

...now I just gotta figure out how to do that !...

Back