Partially working AW17 R4 $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

janas19

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought this AW17 in non-working condition from a local seller on Craigslist. It had a shorted motherboard, so I ordered a refurbished one from Dell. As soon as I installed the new motherboard and put it back together, I noticed smoke coming from the bottom air holes. So I tested the new motherboard and seems the sound card is gone, and part of the GPU. It will turn on and load Windows. It won't run Unigine Valley with DirectX API, but it will run with OpenGL API.

I'm not sure the full extent of the damage, but it's possible the GPU may work at less than 100% with a BIOS flash. I can send the motherboard back to Dell, but I'm checking if there is anyone interested in buying in it's current state. I'm looking to get back what I have in it which is $500 (minus shipping costs). If there's no interest I'll just send the motherboard back to Dell.

Specs

i7-6700HQ
16GB DDR4
GTX 1070
128GB SSD
1080P FHD IPS
Win 10 Home

Pictures

Last edited:
I bought this AW17 in non-working condition from a local seller on Craigslist. It had a shorted motherboard, so I ordered a refurbished one from Dell. As soon as I installed the new motherboard and put it back together, I noticed smoke coming from the bottom air holes. So I tested the new motherboard and seems the sound card is gone, and part of the GPU. It will turn on and load Windows. It won't run Unigine Valley with DirectX API, but it will run with OpenGL API.

I'm not sure the full extent of the damage, but it's possible the GPU may work at less than 100% with a BIOS flash. I can send the motherboard back to Dell, but I'm checking if there is anyone interested in buying in it's current state. I'm looking to get back what I have in it which is $500 (minus shipping costs). If there's no interest I'll just send the motherboard back to Dell.

Specs

i7-6700HQ
16GB DDR4
GTX 1070
128GB SSD
1080P FHD IPS
Win 10 Home

Pictures

I'm in the same boat for another similar AL17 r5 machine that needs a board.

How much did you pay for the motherboard from Dell after tax and shipping?

I'm in the same boat for another similar AL17 r5 machine that needs a board.

How much did you pay for the motherboard from Dell after tax and shipping?

I paid $225 for the 6700HQ/1070 and so far Dell has sent 2 refurbs from their warehouse, neither of which worked properly. I just put in a request for Dell to send me a 3rd one, but I don't know if it will be approved. So far it's been a huge waste of time and money, Dell doesn't fully test there motherboards based on my experience. If it boots up they sell it as "refurbished." I should have sent it in for repair I guess, because their warehouse stock is crap in my experience.

I'm locking the thread, PM me if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back