parents looking for a 42" TV

Blasterboy460

[H]ard|Gawd
so my parents are building their house and have asked me to find them a good 42" tv, there price is somewhere around 2k. anyone have any opinions on brands and models to look at. this tv will be on the wall in the living room and will only be used for tv/movies/sports.

The 42" Westinghouse 1080P LCD is a good idea and it comes in under 2k. Another good choice is a Samsung or Sony, but they may excede the 2k price in the 42" size with certain model lines.

I just purchased this on friday and so far have been very pleased with it. I got it on sale for 1999.99 CDN. Its not capbable of 1080p but it can do 780p/1080i, the cost in making the jump for the 1080p is quite a bit of extra cash and i have compared it and the difference is so small its (IMO) not worth the extra money. I have a couple of friends who have been using LG TV's for over a year now and have no complaints. LG is a great brand and they back there products up.

Instakilla said:
I just purchased this on friday and so far have been very pleased with it. I got it on sale for 1999.99 CDN. Its not capbable of 1080p but it can do 780p/1080i, the cost in making the jump for the 1080p is quite a bit of extra cash and i have compared it and the difference is so small its (IMO) not worth the extra money. I have a couple of friends who have been using LG TV's for over a year now and have no complaints. LG is a great brand and they back there products up.

yeah thats a pretty good TV. Plus since it is Plasma you are going to get a really good contrast ratio over and LCD. It is 720p and for the most part on TV's smaller than say 55" its really to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i(p). I keep looking at getting a 1080p TV but you can get 720 plasmas on the cheap and I am not looking at getting anything more than 42" in size.

Yah there is a lot to consider also you are just saying a good 42" TV for around 2k? Ok so what is it going to be used for mainly (TV/Movies, Gaming?) Where in the house is it going (Livingroom with a lot of natural light, or a media room with few to no windows?)

Blauman said:
The 42" Westinghouse 1080P LCD is a good idea and it comes in under 2k. Another good choice is a Samsung or Sony, but they may excede the 2k price in the 42" size with certain model lines.

Can't say for certain that the Samsung/Sony don't have this problem, but the Westinghouse is great for HD Broadcasts, but absolutely ugly for SD programming. For the situation at hand, I would not recommend it.

Back