Palworld

No one's calling this thing impressive other than the fact it seems to have been done on a shoestring budget...as in, it's "impressive" this tiny crew managed to shoot to the top of the steam charts. The thing I hear about it most is that it's "fun." For less than a drive through meal I tossed my hat in the ring with my friend and as someone else wrote, "I don't hate it" and in fact played the damn thing all night long until this morning when I had to take the kids to school. TBH, I had totally wrote this game off until my 7 year old was yelling about POKEMONS so I had to get it for her. I was in my 30s or something when Pokemon came out so I never paid attention to it at all.

I do find it hilarious reading the past few days of posts of people gnashing their teeth up in arms about copying Pokémon when Nintendo itself copied stuff that had been out for at least a decade prior. Best guess is people are just too young to know or Nintendo blew it up so large everyone thinks these assets are theirs and theirs alone.

Lol

Attachments

• palworld-devs-ai-and-asset-flip-accusations-have-been-made-v0-twzap713rdec1.png
    palworld-devs-ai-and-asset-flip-accusations-have-been-made-v0-twzap713rdec1.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 0
Scaling them to do a direct comparison does not invalidate their point.

Personally, I couldn't give less of a shit about copying or using AI to create assets. The developer said themselves that they were chasing trends in order to pray on people's desires, and it worked. Survival games are garbage, especially those with endless supply chain grinds, and I'll never touch them.

Pokemon responds.

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/335.html

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

Scaling them to do a direct comparison does not invalidate their point.

Personally, I couldn't give less of a shit about copying or using AI to create assets. The developer said themselves that they were chasing trends in order to pray on people's desires, and it worked. Survival games are garbage, especially those with endless supply chain grinds, and I'll never touch them.
The guy who started the trend just admitted he lied and you are going with "him admitting he lied doesn't invalidate his point"????

The guy who started the trend just admitted he lied and you are going with "him admitting he lied doesn't invalidate his point"????
Welcome to todays world where lying is ok and you turn around and play the victim to protect your lie.

It''s ok to lie!

It's hilarious how hard people are trying to hate on this game.

I think it's a great showcase for how easy it is to make a game nowadays. Super low budget, the majority of them had no idea what they were doing, they learned as they built it.
They just had a cool idea and made it.

This game threw a curveball or monkey wrench as far as every new release coming out this year.

It wouldn't be fair to compare it to every other game coming out. But it shook up the gaming scene in a way previous games haven't done in a few years.

Do we want more Palworld type games in the future? I have no say on it but there are similar games cartoon style like games on the Epic launcher.

I think it's a great showcase for how easy it is to make a game nowadays. Super low budget, the majority of them had no idea what they were doing, they learned as they built it.
Based on everyone else’s ideas. Still, it’s catchy. It’s like a remix to a already good song.

Last edited:

People like Pokemon who knew..

Based on everyone else’s ideas lol. Still, it’s catch. It’s like a remix to a already good song.

It reminds me of when I was a kid and had all sorts of ideas for games or how to make existing games even better but knew nothing about how games were made. Most the ideas being impractical or impossible to do because they would be so hard to make.

But all the tools and engines avaiable have gotten so good now it actually is possible.

I never got into Minecraft, Pokemon, or any crafting survival game so the gameplay loop is new to me, but I'm having fun with it. I'm playing the game pass version but thinking about buying the steam version to play with friends and coworkers.

Well, there are some reasons I can see why people are hating:

1) The thing really does look a Pokemon rip for creatures. I've never played Pokemon (I know, I know) but even as a casual who's just see the stuff around online the art made me say "Man they ripped off Pokemon's style." That's fine, I guess, but I understand why people feel it is lazy.

2) The fact that the developers are releasing ANOTHER early access game, despite having 2 more in EA seems kinda like an abuse of the system. The idea of early access was that you needed money to keep working on your game and wanted community feedback. Fair, but then how are you releasing another title while you are still in that phase, and then another? Feels like they just kinda set aside unsuccessful titles, never finishing them and hiding behind the "but it's early access!" shield and then move on to something else. Let reason to be worried about buying this.

3) The rabidness of the fan base and the incessant push of this on social media. I don't know how much is guerilla marketing and how much is just obnoxious fans but fuck me people won't shut up about it on social media. It also has the really pushy nature of "Look at all these people playing, do YOU want to be the loser that misses out!" and "OMG this game is so disruptive and so much better than anything else, suck shit AAA devs!" Gets real annoying and makes people want to push back. It doesn't feel like a "Here's a game I enjoy," kind of post but more a "How dare you not enjoy what I do," vibe.

4) The game is jank as shit which, fair, it is early access... but the massive push to buy it in that state yet again normalizes the idea that games can be sold as a broken mess and consumers will just take it up the ass on it. If consumers are willing to throw down hundreds of millions of dollars on a janky, partially working game... well why shouldn't AAA studios expect the same? Trying to argue it is somehow different because it is "indy" falls on deaf ears, particularly when said company has multiple games out in the same state and people are saying you should BUY IT NAO! It is just more normalizing that games don't need to be polished.

For me, #4 is the biggest but #3 is up there. I do NOT buy early access games and I don't like when people push them. I have no problem if you want to buy in and essentially beta test, that's 100% fine. But I don't like trying to sell it to consumers as something you should buy now. It really should be the sort of thing that is a "only if you want to test/help develop" situation.

Doesn't look fair to me--looks like pissantry.

Over 2 million people are playing it so of course social media algorithms are putting it in front of everyone's eyeballs. The fans themselves aren't saying anything--they're busy playing--least of *here* where we're simply discussing it like every other game on the market in this "PC Gaming" sub. That's a criticism of social media, a long shot to lay it at the feet of the players, and preposterous to have any implications on the devs/game itself.

They say they don't participate in EA games but then criticize the system anyway. It's simply untrue to claim that devs rolling out various EA attempts are disingenuous with the EA system or that it's any sort of abuse. On the contrary, that's precisely what the system is intended for: devs without sufficient resources to solicit for capital to continue working. Some work out and some don't. There isn't any expectation that every game be coded to completion and it's already understood the entire process is in development/beta status. It's unnecessary to restate all EA games are in development status in every conversation or advertisement of the game that is under development.

And so what if it's a Pokemon clone, rip, or otherwise. I could understand the argument that someone doesn't want to play it because it's not their preference, but claiming the game (and devs) itself deserves to be shit on *because* it's perceived to be a Pokemon clone (without any hint of irony these commentators have no idea the origins of Pokemon itself, but I digress...) is simply juvenile.

Yep, imagine being a fucking Nintendo bootlicker in the year of our lord 2024. Crazy stuff.

I've played the game a bit, it's pretty fun and seems like a lot of content for the ~$26 price tag. Supposedly only 60% of the game is complete, according to the dev, so maybe more coming.

With how litigious Nintendo is, They probably had a 200-person legal army look over every pixel and byte of this game long before the developers even announced it and determined it was "un-sue-able".

And even if it was a blatant, direct and legally provable pokemon plagiarism, who cares? You going to shed a tear for poor, helpless, defenceless 100+billion dollar corporation Nintendo? If so, Why? it's not your battle.

A little late but here's the patch from a few days ago.

2024/02/01 Update Patch v0.1.4.0

Steam version v0.1.4.0 has been released.

Patch Notes:

===

▼Major Fixes
・Fixed an issue where the game would crash under certain conditions
・Fixed an issue where if another player's pal/base pal had HP 30% or less, it could be captured by using a sphere.
・Fixed an issue where enemy pals would get stuck in walls due to charge attacks.

・Implemented the first fix for an issue where the game would always crash and save data would be corrupted when the guild's total number of pals captured reached around 7000.
*The game no longer crashes even if the total number of captured objects exceeds 7000.
However, save data that has already been in this state (in the case of a server, the server's world data) prior to this update will still be unable to load.
We are continuing to work on fixing this issue permanently.

▼Key Configuration
・Added support for mouse side keys and numeric keypad in keyboard key configuration.
*Further improvements are currently planned, such as support for interact key configuration.

▼Player Issues
・Fixed an issue where players on dedicated servers and co-op (online) were receiving damage twice.
・Specifications have been changed so that you can move at extremely low speed even when you have exceeded the weight limit.
・Players will no longer pass through walls when dismounting.
・Fixed an issue where capture power strengthened by Lifmunk Effigies was reset when using memory reset drugs.
・Fixed an issue where armor could be equipped in the wrong slot.
・Adjusted camera positions of several Pals to make it easier to see when mounted.

▼Base Issues
・Specifications have been changed so that Pals who are manually assigned to a breeding farm will not become hungry and their manual assignments will not be removed.
・The key to lift Pals has been changed from F → V (Pad: X → Y) in order to prevent accidents.
・Reduced the speed and range of fire spreading on wooden buildings.
・Fixed an issue where manual work assignments could not be set at all under certain circumstances.
・Fixed an issue where extremely high-level Relaxaurus would attack the base during raids.
・Added several measures to prevent base Pals from getting stuck.
・Fixed an issue where Pals would get stuck while transporting items and would drop them on the spot.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base would continue to cut down trees that were already cut.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base were on the verge of death due to unexplained falling damage.
・Fixed an issue where Pals at the base would float under some conditions.
・Fixed an issue where if a farm was built on the second floor or above, work pals would be unable to move on the floors below.

▼Other
・Corrected incorrect text
・Measures have been added to prevent cheating and stealing other players' Pals.
・Many other minor fixes such as the addition of a UI key guide.

===

We will continue development placing top priority on fixing major problems and issues.
Thank you for your continued support of Palworld.

11 million steam sales, 7 million gamepass players....

EDIT: Actually, it's 12 million steam sales now.

Last edited:
The only crafting/survival game I've ever been able to get into before this is Subnautica. I have to admit, this game is quite fun, just took out the second tower boss and am putting some effort into making my second base actually decent. I just hope they use this influx of cash to make improvements and fully release it. No excuse for this one to sit in early access limbo for years on end.

Getting a little bit tired of it after exploring probably 70% of the map. Level 50 with full level 50 Pal squad, level 10 catch power. Played at 10x xp growth. I wish most of the good mining locations for end of game mats weren't on top of hills where your Pals like to 86 themselves all the time. Also wish they add a craftable devise to allow you to access your chests and mats between bases, the back and forth with food, ingots, quartz, etc is a bit annoying. Even if its just for building, so it could take from stockpiles elsewhere. Raids are buggy as all hell, probably my biggest gripe about the game. The line of "attackers" literally runs at your base at 3 frames per second, I think the engine has trouble keeping them all on the proper path. Sometimes I can just stand in front of them if they are going up a hill with a narrow spot and they can't pass. The first time the raid enemies were a higher level finally they wrecked my shit hard. Didn't know you were supposed to level up your worker Pals too :ROFLMAO:

Overall 10/10. I'll start a new world when it comes out of early access for sure. Oh yeah, they definitely need to hire someone to add some music. Get the people that did the soundtrack for NMS, shit's a masterpiece.

12 million steam sales now. w35t, yeah I hope it doesn't sit in limbo. I'm tempted to get it but I'm in no rush.

Back