p8z68v offset voltage is crap

Mandor

n00b
Hi,

I can't seem to understand whats happening with the voltage on this board. Even if I set the voltage manually, it always seem to be MUCH higher in windows vs what has been set in the BIOS. Even the base voltage on the left seems to vary according to whatever parameter (really?). For example if I set +0.005 offset (closest I can get to stock since if I put 0 it just defaults back to auto) the thing boots at 1.3v even if its 1.165 default. And thats without changing the multiplier! If I date change it to 44 it gives me 1.5v or something ... what :confused:

Whatever happened to : if you want voltage x then you put "x" in the little box next to voltage. And VID isn't supposed to change ?!?

Is there some super special overclocking mode I forgot to disable or is it just needlessly complicated? I read a bit about this and it seems it is indeed crap, but I want to make sure I'm not ahllucinating. I've been ocing computers for a while now and I find this very bad indeed :/

Which P8Z68 is this? Just the middle P8Z68-V? Not the LX or LE?

Anyways, I guess you failed to do enough research on these boards. I have the P8Z68-V LX and even though I havnt done ocing yet on this, I already happened to know that with the LX and LE models, you can't adjust the cpu voltage by itself like you can with higher end boards. I don't know if this is true for the P8Z68-V which I thought was more of a higher end model but it is definitely true for the LX and LE.

I dont know why Asus went full retard on the voltage bios settings for these boards since almost always in the past have you been able to change just cpu voltage by itself, but they did. You can still do decent overclocks, but probably limited to 4.4ghz or so. And yes, your voltage will always be higher than is probably needed with one of these boards(again, dont know if this is true for that model, but it sounds like it might be).

This is one of the few negatives I have with the motherboard. I have a hard time believing they did this with the higher end P8Z68-V but maybe.... I guess what they are trying to do is give people more of a reason to buy the higher end expensive mobos instead of the budget mobos....but it is pretty dumb of them to do this by simply gimping bios features...

Last edited:
UM it's pretty easy actually on my mobo turning offset on and putting it to + and the actual voltage to 0 = stock volts....

As Retsam said, if you have the LE or LX, you can't set a fixed voltage. The -V and up allow you to change the CPU voltage mode (on the AI Tweaker page) from Offset to Manual and then put in a fixed voltage. What settings are you using for loadline calibration? LLC has a big impacrt on offset voltages - you should use a medium setting when using offset. And obviously the voltage is going to vary with speed changes since it is just adding the offset to the VID, which changes with speed.

See page 3-11 in the manual.

Last edited:
As Retsam said, if you have the LE or LX, you can't set a fixed voltage. The -V and up allow you to change the CPU voltage mode (on the AI Tweaker page) from Offset to Manual and then put in a fixed voltage. What settings are you using for loadline calibration? LLC has a big impacrt on offset voltages - you should use a medium setting when using offset. And obviously the voltage is going to vary with speed changes since it is just adding the offset to the VID, which changes with speed.

See page 3-11 in the manual.

I second that you definetly want to use at least 50% LLC, I was having a lot of load>idle bsod's but changed my LLC to 50% and I have been very stable.

its the LE part so that explains it. should have researched more before pulling the trigger on this one, but I am still amazed how retarded it is you can't set manual voltage.

I mean its got 6 power phases instead of 16, I got it, its going to be less precise and stable, but I sould still be able to set it manually. stupid asus.

its the LE part so that explains it. should have researched more before pulling the trigger on this one, but I am still amazed how retarded it is you can't set manual voltage.

I mean its got 6 power phases instead of 16, I got it, its going to be less precise and stable, but I sould still be able to set it manually. stupid asus.

Yeah, I don't understand the logic either. If you want to limit features to drive people to higher-end boards, wouldn't you think they would eliminate the offset mode and leave manual? Offset seems like a more advanced technique. Although I think the MSI low-end boards have the same limitation, so maybe offset is easier to implement or something.

Back