P5Q-EM vs P5E-VM HDMI

KeymaN

Gawd
in the case of overclocking... the P5Q-EM should be a better overclocker right?
but if i m planning to stay at the stock or just change the memory divider to 1:1 would both board be any difference? letz say gonna keep a Q6600 with 9x333GHz and a DDR2-667 RAM... would the P5E-VM HDMI will have the same performance as the P5Q-EM at that level? and for sure i wont be doing crazy overclocking in this system... and the reason being that i want the P5E-VM HDMI is that it is cheaper and it has a black PCB ( it sound stupid but i m planning to make a build that everything else is black from case to inside... like even paint the inside metal to black too... but so far i cant find a memory with black PCB yet still... )
also i m thinking should i go Lian Li PC-V350B or Silverstone SG02

in the case of overclocking... the P5Q-EM should be a better overclocker right?
but if i m planning to stay at the stock or just change the memory divider to 1:1 would both board be any difference? letz say gonna keep a Q6600 with 9x333GHz and a DDR2-667 RAM... would the P5E-VM HDMI will have the same performance as the P5Q-EM at that level? and for sure i wont be doing crazy overclocking in this system... and the reason being that i want the P5E-VM HDMI is that it is cheaper and it has a black PCB ( it sound stupid but i m planning to make a build that everything else is black from case to inside... like even paint the inside metal to black too... but so far i cant find a memory with black PCB yet still... )
also i m thinking should i go Lian Li PC-V350B or Silverstone SG02

Overlocking maybe, but the P5Q-EM has been having SERIOUS issues with not working correctly with add on video cards. So much such that I avoided it and got the P5E-VM HDMI instead and im not dissapointed in all. Read thread after thread in forum and after forum, including ASUS's about the problems people have been having with the P5Q and Asus is still in no rush to fix it.

ya beside the add on video card problem ( i dont think i m having that right now... or i just dont know it is happening... well at least the 880GT OC is working so far for 1 day lol... ) but sounds like the P5E-VM HDMI is really solid from many reviews... i just wanna know what are the difference between the two of them... beside the price and the chip set... and would i be missing out anything really important from the P5Q-EM if i go with the P5E-VM HDMI... and of coz... the sexy black PCB vs the ugly brown PCB lol

The P5E has a more reliable performance/stability history than the P5Q. Just based on that I'd go with the P5E over the P5Q but thats just me. Also as far as OCing goes I havent seen anything official saying the P5Q OC better or easier than the P5E. There are plenty of P5E OCing posts to look through here at HF for a non-official comparison though I'm thinking. Pvhk has posted alot about what kind of OCing one can do with the P5E. There are others as well that have posted their OCing experience.

As far as features goes the ASUS site should tell you what each mobo offers in features and layout. You can read more detail about those features here in the SFF section.

The P5E has a more reliable performance/stability history than the P5Q. Just based on that I'd go with the P5E over the P5Q but thats just me. Also as far as OCing goes I havent seen anything official saying the P5Q OC better or easier than the P5E. There are plenty of P5E OCing posts to look through here at HF for a non-official comparison though I'm thinking. Pvhk has posted alot about what kind of OCing one can do with the P5E. There are others as well that have posted their OCing experience...

I am VERY happy with my P5E-VM HDMI results. I've never owned a board (much less a mATX board) that is as stable / capable of running a 500+ FSB with my quad. I highly recommend this board if you want a mATX board that is way O/C friendly. As soon as my Xigmatek cooler arrives (in the next few days), I will more than like bump my O/C up to 3.5 - 3.6ghz. I already KNOW I can run it stable for 24/7 use with a terribly high FSB. Prime tested it for 31 hours at 505 FSB x 7 (3.535ghz). The best FSB I could achieve was 512.

512FSBValidated.jpg

Geil BlackDragon

it's pricey, but it should have black PCBs

well it is black... but does anyone know if these RAMs are any good? this thing runs cool? it doesnt have a heat spreader... which is pretty cool to me

The P5E has a more reliable performance/stability history than the P5Q. Just based on that I'd go with the P5E over the P5Q but thats just me. Also as far as OCing goes I havent seen anything official saying the P5Q OC better or easier than the P5E. There are plenty of P5E OCing posts to look through here at HF for a non-official comparison though I'm thinking. Pvhk has posted alot about what kind of OCing one can do with the P5E. There are others as well that have posted their OCing experience.

As far as features goes the ASUS site should tell you what each mobo offers in features and layout. You can read more detail about those features here in the SFF section.

well i did read the ASUS website but there is so many words... and beside the chipset... G45/G35 and IC10R/IC9R (whatever they spell it lol)
i dunno what else is different lol

I am VERY happy with my P5E-VM HDMI results. I've never owned a board (much less a mATX board) that is as stable / capable of running a 500+ FSB with my quad. I highly recommend this board if you want a mATX board that is way O/C friendly. As soon as my Xigmatek cooler arrives (in the next few days), I will more than like bump my O/C up to 3.5 - 3.6ghz. I already KNOW I can run it stable for 24/7 use with a terribly high FSB. Prime tested it for 31 hours at 505 FSB x 7 (3.535ghz). The best FSB I could achieve was 512.

woah... i was just thinking to keep a Q6600 @ 3.0 (9x333) or E8400 @ 3.6 (9x400)...
well this means it has to be good... heheheh XD

Thanks for the help guys!

woah... i was just thinking to keep a Q6600 @ 3.0 (9x333) or E8400 @ 3.6 (9x400)...

N E Time.. Speaking of O/C'ing a Q6600, my new Xigmatek S-1284 EE cpu cooler comes in tomorrow! WOOHOO!

yeah the p5q isnt a good OCer, most reviewers can barely keep it stable at around 415 fsb.

If OCing is what your trying to achieve then go for p5e-vm.

if i had the choice, id still choose the p5e over the p5q

How are you guys able to set the FSB: DRAM frequency on this board? I can't find the setting for it.

edit: nvm, I read this thread incorrectly. I have a P5Q-VM. If anyone knows where the setting for it is, however. please let me know!

Well, a few weeks ago, I received my Xigmatek S1284EE CPU cooler.. I installed it, along with a Thermalright N/B cooler.. If you wanted to see what's possible with this board and a Q6600, here's a few screen shots:

515 Front Side Bus:

515fsb.jpg

4ghz:

Q660040ghz.jpg

So you gained 3MHz on the FSB? That goes along with my past experiences cooling the NB...

Well good to know and thanks for the honesty. I kept dragging the little Zalman heatsink to new motherboards and realized it didn't seem to be doing anything, so just left it on my last board. It certainly can't hurt stability though and Gigabyte boards always seem to come with the same dinky heatsink that actually needs to be replaced.

Current system:
Case: Modded Watercooled Jpac
CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3.6GHz [1.45v]
Mobo: ASUS P5E-VM HDMI @ XXXfsb [X.XXv]
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 2*1GB DDR2 @ DDR1080 (5-5-5-5-15) [2.2v]
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
GPU: HD 4850
PSU: OCZ ModXstream 780w

Did you volt mod your motherboard yet (1.45 vcore)? I had VERY good results doing the vdroop pencil mod.. Im at 1.368 vcore (in windows) and 1.3875 vcore in the bios. Just curious if it worked out for you? At 1.45 vcore, I think I could have mine 24 / 7 stable around 3.8ghz (but obviously, at the cost of losing some speed on my ram).

How the hell did you guys get 3.6GHz (assuming it's stable)? I can't even get 3.35GHz to run stable. I'm rather new to overclocking but lots of pc experience.

I've tried all kinds of settings including the ones others are using on this forum...and currently I can get my system to run prime95 in Vista64 for a couple of hours but after leaving it running overnight I find the system rebooted by morning (BSOD) (and I left the case open as the system runs cooler). Room temp is 22C and CPU load is rather high, topping 82C on the 4 cores, 63C on the CPU according to SpeedFan. NB load is 46C, 39C idle.

My cpu core volt. is 1.5v as anything lower is not stable for very long. PCIE is 100 and I tried AUTO too. DRAM core volt. is 2.1v. RAM is 5-5-5-15 (though stock is 5-4-4-15). The rest I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm at work now.

Can you post the settings you set in your bios (including revision# and bios firmware #) in order to get your 3.6GHz? I'll try the exact same settings and work it from there.

I'm also thinking of lapping my HS and CPU as well as vdroop'ing my p5e-vm hdmi but I'm not sure all that'd be worth the trouble.

Also, please see my hardware and tell me if there's a problem there. I know I have only PC-6400 ram but I've seen others OC this system with PC-6400 ram and still be stable. Also, I know the Blue Orb is not the best and won't get 4Ghz but I believe I should be able to get at least 3.4GHz with it, stable.

Thanks.

I'd say start by removing 2 DIMMs. 4*2GB might be too big a strain on your Northbridge. Also that CPU voltage seems quite high, so if you have a G0 Q6600 then lower the CPU voltage a bit and start playing with the NB/FSB voltages. Don't forget to raise the PLL a tad if you push those 2 up.

I appreciated your feedback. But as I said, if I lower the voltage (which I know is high) then in prime95, one core shows me an error much sooner than if I increase the cpu voltage.

Another words. If I set cpu voltage at 1.40v then a core will fail within 5 minutes whereas if I set cpu voltage at 1.50v it'll take 2 hours or more. I'll try it again this time increasing the PLL even more.

And I failed to mention that I've done the same after removing 2 out of the 4 sticks of ram. Same result.

So I'll try lowering the cpu voltage to say 1.4875v. If my PLL is 1.5v then I'll try the next one up. What do you think I should set the northbridge voltage to? I don't use the NB for video as I have a GPU installed.

If you have this cpu and mobo, can you please post the settings you have?

Thanks.

I have a feeling that you are overcompensating with CPU voltage a problem that lies elsewhere. The fact that Prime95 is failing after 2 hours or 5 minutes could be a false clue. WHat are all your current voltages?

When I try the Intel Burn Test program it fails on about the 3rd loop...also, the temps go MUCH higher with Burn Test...they'll go about 69C for CPU and 83C for the cores. Best I did was OC to 3.16GHz and it passed Intel's Burn Test but the temps were scary high and I was surprised it passed. Still, 3.16GHz is nothing to get excited about.

I'd like to get at least 3.4 GHz like everyone else that has a G0 CPU, And rev. 1.00G (not 1.00GA) for my P5E-VM HDMI board which I'm guessing is why the pencil mod didn't work. If it works then the voltage I set in BIOS for cpu (say 1.45v is roughly what it should show for cpu voltage in cpu-z right?...though I don't know if that's under load or not...my cpu-z in picture shows 1.304V but I have it set to like 1.4875 in bios so I guess pencil mod didn't work or I didn't do it right.

Also, I tried the pencil mod but it doesn't appear to have worked. And I just reapplied the thermal paste again and no improvement on the temps.

DRAM fsb was around 722MHz...the next option was 920 or something which my ram can't handle and last option is AUTO. I tried auto too. dram voltage 2.1V (as per my ram specs). PCIE freq at 101

I have tried lowering my cpu voltage which improved my temps but then it's even more unstable. Here's some screenshots taken when the system has been under load for some time (not prime95 or Intel's Burn Test):

q6600_ocd.jpg

First I'd like you to post from now on in the 'official' P5E-VM HDMI thread. I'm kind of hoping that more people will help if it's in there.
Second:
I would like to start from (almost) scratch with your setup, so I'm going to give you a list of settings that should give us a little bit of margin to work with. And then we will try and push it a little bit further.

Offhand, I'd say: 1. too much voltage on your RAM (EPP says 2.0V). 2. Way too much voltage on your CPU. 3. Way too much vdroop!!!

So let's start:
Ai OC: Manual
CPU Ratio: 09.0
Strap: 333
FSB: 333
PCIE: 100
DRAM: 667 (1:1 divider)
DRAM Timing: Manual
CAS 5
RAS to CAS 5
RAS Precharge 5
RAS Activate... 15
(rest on Auto)

clock Overcharging Auto
CPU Spread Auto
PCIE Spread Auto
CPU Voltage 1.275
CPU Volt Ref Auto
CPU VOlt damper Enabled
PLL Voltage 1.54
DRAM 1.9
FSB 1.28
NB 1.33
NB Volt Ref Auto
SB 1.05

Also I dunno what difference it makes but in CPU-Z my board shows revision 03.

Obviously that's only 3.0 GHz on your CPU but I wanna see how your rig reacts to these settings. We'll take it from there.

Also, I know the Blue Orb is not the best and won't get 4Ghz but I believe I should be able to get at least 3.4GHz with it, stable.
I think your heatsink is more than likely holding you back. In my opinion, 3.6GHz (a massive 50% overclock) is pretty much the limit on air, and you'll need the very best heatsinks to do that. The other guys achieving these clocks are using huge tower heatsinks or liquid cooling.

Watch the temperature on your CPU, it's too high for my liking. For the Q6600 G0, my advice for the absolute highest temperature (Prime95) is 70°C, and an "everyday" peak in the low 60's. Idle should be in the low 40's or lower.

I think your heatsink is more than likely holding you back. In my opinion, 3.6GHz (a massive 50% overclock) is pretty much the limit on air, and you'll need the very best heatsinks to do that. The other guys achieving these clocks are using huge tower heatsinks or liquid cooling.

Watch the temperature on your CPU, it's too high for my liking. For the Q6600 G0, my advice for the absolute highest temperature (Prime95) is 70°C, and an "everyday" peak in the low 60's. Idle should be in the low 40's or lower.

Agreed but his voltages shouldn't be that high in the first place. Don't you think?

Bad news. Not even these simple settings make my system stable. I couldn't even post this msg as it BSOD'd on me so I'm writing this again after raising the CPU voltage now to 1.2875V and South Bridge to 1.20V. The reason why I did this is perhaps my system is unstable because of my 2 RAID arrays (RAID0+RAID5...which is 4 hard disks plus a 5th 1TB which is not part of a raid, and 1 DVD+RW drive).

If this post goes through it means it's holding up so far (though I was writing the 1st msg under 100% load).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok...I have to save my messages and then EDIT them otherwise I'd be rewriting the same words over and over as my system keeps blue screening with your settings. I had to revert back to the OC profile I saved when my system was running with at 3.25GHz but with the high cpu voltage and dram. And though this is my opinion only, I think your settings don't work because my ram doesn't like 667MHz..perhaps it's too low. And I tried adjusting your settings my raising the CPU voltage to 1.2875 and DRAM to 2.1V but I still got the BSOD. I don't know why this is so difficult...perhaps I'm just not as lucky as most others and my board and cpu and/or ram aren't as good as what most others have :-(

Sorry I didn't post in the thread you said but I can't find it. I assume it'd be in Motherboards/Intel but there's a lot of pages there. If you post there and give me the link I'll start replying there. I appreciate all you're doing for me. I'm an A+ tech and Microsoft Certified so just to let you know you're not dealing with a total newbie other than in overclocking perhaps and that you aren't wasting your time. I do hope to reward you and/or this forum if I can achieve my goal.

Also, at POST it kept showing me 3398MB ram which is not correct so in addition to reverting back to my 3.25GHz profile I also changed Memory Remap from Disabled to Enabled and Intel Graphics Mode Select from Disabled to Enabled, 8MB.

As much as I too don't like my system requiring so much voltage, it does seem to keep my system stable but that also means I can only get 3.25GHz. I do believe I should get at least 3.40 GHz and I'd be happy with it but my goal is at least 3.50GHz and preferrably 3.6GHz, even if it means selling my Blue Orb II and buying a Thigmatek HDT-SD1283 or whatever that model is exactly.

First I'd like you to post from now on in the 'official' P5E-VM HDMI thread. I'm kind of hoping that more people will help if it's in there.
Second:
I would like to start from (almost) scratch with your setup, so I'm going to give you a list of settings that should give us a little bit of margin to work with. And then we will try and push it a little bit further.

Offhand, I'd say: 1. too much voltage on your RAM (EPP says 2.0V). 2. Way too much voltage on your CPU. 3. Way too much vdroop!!!

So let's start:
Ai OC: Manual
CPU Ratio: 09.0
Strap: 333
FSB: 333
PCIE: 100
DRAM: 667 (1:1 divider)
DRAM Timing: Manual
CAS 5
RAS to CAS 5
RAS Precharge 5
RAS Activate... 15
(rest on Auto)

clock Overcharging Auto
CPU Spread Auto
PCIE Spread Auto
CPU Voltage 1.275
CPU Volt Ref Auto
CPU VOlt damper Enabled
PLL Voltage 1.54
DRAM 1.9
FSB 1.28
NB 1.33
NB Volt Ref Auto
SB 1.05

Also I dunno what difference it makes but in CPU-Z my board shows revision 03.

Obviously that's only 3.0 GHz on your CPU but I wanna see how your rig reacts to these settings. We'll take it from there.

my P5E-VM is being a pain

got my Q6600 in it now and i cant get it to pass prime 95 even at 2.7Ghz!! crashes and BSOD's

this Q6600 was doing 3.3 in my P5Q-E at 1.34, messing with manually settings things didnt seem to help either and cpuz 1.49 or 1.5 when i start P95 the CPU voltage field drops to 1.9 and doesnt move...

my P5E-VM is being a pain

got my Q6600 in it now and i cant get it to pass prime 95 even at 2.7Ghz!! crashes and BSOD's

this Q6600 was doing 3.3 in my P5Q-E at 1.34, messing with manually settings things didnt seem to help either and cpuz 1.49 or 1.5 when i start P95 the CPU voltage field drops to 1.9 and doesnt move...

You've got the wrong voltage for the cpu. It should be around 1.2 to 1.5V and nowhere near 1.9V unless it's for your ram.

You also need to post more settings. What's the cpu voltage? Dram? FSB? PLL? NB? FSB Term? CPU Ratio? Memory timings and what its rated at.

Also, what coolers do you have? What speed are you trying to accomplish?

You've got the wrong voltage for the cpu. It should be around 1.2 to 1.5V and nowhere near 1.9V unless it's for your ram.

You also need to post more settings. What's the cpu voltage? Dram? FSB? PLL? NB? FSB Term? CPU Ratio? Memory timings and what its rated at.

Also, what coolers do you have? What speed are you trying to accomplish?

I think he meant 1.19 or 1.09. Let's post in the P5E-VM HDMI thread instead, shall we?

Back