P4P800 deluxe hard drive setup

M

mfm

Am I correct in assuming that the 3rd and 4th IDE controller on the P4P800 deluxe is for SATA drives only? The reason I ask is how would someone wire up their system with this board if they planned on using 1 DVD-ROM, 1 CD-RW, and 3 ATA-100 hard drives? And in case it matters, I don't plan on using RAID in this system. Thanks! :)

Yes, 3 and 4 in the chipset is the sata controller. You can get pata->sata converter plugs for the harddrives if you desperately want to use those with pata drives.
There is the raid-controller if you want more pata drives though, you can set it to act like a nomal controller and not use raid.

Originally posted by Egrimm
There is the raid-controller if you want more pata drives though, you can set it to act like a nomal controller and not use raid.
That would be great, except I can't figure out how to make that work. I either have some BIOS setting wrong, or I haven't installed the proper software for the system to recognize the drive. I'll double-check the cabling and the settings tonight.

Hmm, as far as I recall it was pretty straight forward to set up, no software other than drivers for the controller was required I'm 100% certain.

I might be mixing this up with the P4B533E which I had before but here goes:
Just connect one drive at a time, create an array with a single drive, then turn off and install the other and do the same.
Either it is that or just a setting in the bios under onboard peripherals like on my current P4C800E, an option that is named "Raid-controller mode" or something similar which can be set to raid or standard.

Egrimm,

Okay, I got it set up. Much of what you said applied to the P4P800 deluxe. Rather than use one of my newer ATA-100 drives, I used an older ATA-33 drive. It actually worked.

The sequence of the install was:
  • Installed hard drive (duh!)
  • Enabled VT6410 RAID controller in the Onboard Devices Configuration in the BIOS
  • Booted into Win2K
  • Installed RAID driver on ASUS CD (which required a search on the CD; my CD doesn't show the VIA RAID driver option in the menus)
  • Rebooted Win2K and the drive was there! :)
I did run into a couple of small issues. One was the VIA RAID drive menu option I mentioned above. The other was when I entered the VIA Tech RAID BIOS Utility (Tab key at bootup). I could see the drive I had installed, but couldn't select any of the options, including create an array. It is possible that since the drive I tested this with is an ATA-33 drive, no RAID option is available for that drive.

I will try this again with an ATA-100 drive, but at least I know I can have access to additional hard drives on the RAID controller. Thanks for your help.

Hmm, it might be that the create array option first is there when several drives are connected, then just ignnore what I said and install them one at a time and then it won't create arrays out of them (mirror, stripe etc.) without you asking it to. Never spent much time with that raid-controller as my setup wasn't especially happy with the Via-driver for some reason (might be a conflict with my two Promise pci hd-controllers). Toy a little with it, just be sure the raid-controllers bios doesn't say it'll have a single array with both drives in it when booting.

I have an Asus P4C800E Deluxe, I have 3 PATA channels...and 2 SATA...maybe since you don't have the "E" you can't.

but I have a DVD rom, Plextor 708A, and 4 PATA Hds hooked up.

Back